Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tottenham Hotspur vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
attachment.php
attachment.php

Tottenham v Albion

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
Date: Thursday 26th December 2019
Kick-off: 12:30 GMT
Referee: Graham Scott
Assistants: Neil Davies, Mark Scholes
Fourth official: Tim Robinson
VAR: The Complete And Utter Shyster
Assistant VAR: Constantine Hatzidakis

TEAM NEWS

Tottenham forward Son Heung-min begins a three-game ban after the club failed with an appeal against the red card he received in Sunday's defeat by Chelsea.

Erik Lamela, Hugo Lloris and Ben Davies remain out.

Brighton have no new injury concerns although the squad is expected to be rotated with this the first of two games in three days.

Winger Jose Izquierdo is continuing his recovery from a knee injury in his native Colombia.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Guy Mowbray: Sunday was awful for Tottenham all round, on and off the field.

The performance against Chelsea was lifeless and pedestrian, and it would be a surprise if Jose Mourinho doesn't react by making a few changes. Son's red card means at least one is guaranteed.

Brighton's weekend was below par too, but they'll come into this with the confidence from having beaten Spurs at home in October, and their win at Arsenal earlier this month - the Seagulls' only success in seven games.

If Boxing Day history means anything, it's well in the home side's favour.

Spurs were last beaten on 26 December in 2003, whilst Brighton haven't won since 2005.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Tottenham Hotspur head coach Jose Mourinho on Son Heung-min's red card: "I hope Son is not punished five times.

"One time was the foul that [Antonio] Rudiger did on him. The second is to be sent off. The third would be not to play against Brighton. The fourth not to play against Norwich and the fifth not to play against Southampton.

"So I hope to be punished twice is enough, he doesn't deserve for the third, the fourth or the fifth."

Graham Potter on the festive schedule: "We've got two games in [the space of] 48 hours and we'll have to look at how we play against Tottenham.

"We've got a very hard-working group and it's an opportunity for others to get some minutes.

"We have good numbers going into this period and we need to use the squad in the best way we can."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton have beaten Tottenham just three times in 17 meetings since 1979 (D3, L11).
    [*=left]Tottenham's 3-0 away loss in October was the first time they had failed to score in this fixture since their last home defeat to Brighton, which was in 1981.
    [*=left]Brighton are looking to complete their first ever league double over Tottenham.
Tottenham

• [*=left]Spurs are unbeaten in 13 Boxing Day Premier League fixtures (W10, D3), with their last such defeat coming at Portsmouth in 2003.
    [*=left]They are unbeaten in all 11 of their previous Premier League home matches on 26 December (W8, D3).
    [*=left]Spurs attempted just five shots against Chelsea (including blocked efforts) - their third-lowest total in a top-flight home game since 2003-04.
    [*=left]Since Jose Mourinho's first game in charge of the club, no Premier League team has let in more goals than Spurs in all competitions - they have conceded 14 times, a total matched only by Arsenal.
    [*=left]Son Heung-min is the first Premier League player to be sent off three times in a calendar year since Lee Cattermole in 2010 (though Son's dismissal at Everton was subsequently rescinded).
    [*=left]Tottenham have kept a Premier League-low two clean sheets this season (level with Manchester United, Norwich, Southampton).
Albion

• [*=left]Brighton have only managed one win in their last seven league games (D2, L4).
    [*=left]They are winless in their last 10 Boxing Day games (D4, L6), with their last such victory a 1-0 win over QPR in 2005.
    [*=left]The Seagulls' last away victory on 26 December came at Norwich in 2002, with Steve Sidwell scoring the only goal in the second-tier game.
    [*=left]Brighton have won just five points from their last 21 available in the Premier League, with four of those points won in London (2-1 versus Arsenal and 1-1 against Crystal Palace).

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Right, they've asked for it. We're going to give them a damn good thrashing.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
For us an 11.30 pm kick off, normally a highlight and a guaranteed watch live. After yesterday’s mammoth session not sure I/we will make it (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz), maybe watch it first thing in the morning Friday. Time will tell.........

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Antone else noticed how Sky and BBC 5Live have pretended these games don't exist. Both having spent the entire Christmas period telling us about games over the weekend and ignoring 1st v 2nd tonight. Off to catch the coach now having left room for their excellent home brew.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not great stats for us on Boxing day going back 13 years, I am feeling less confident in my 1-3 prediction, so will settle for the draw I guess :wink:

Spurs were last beaten on 26 December in 2003, whilst Brighton haven't won since 2005.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited (bad fan not going)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
These are a good side were loose

This. As much as I'd like us to do the double Jose will have analysed every possible weakness we have and we'll have to save something in effort or team selection for Saturday. Already got this one down as a blank and will happily take a point.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
This. As much as I'd like us to do the double Jose will have analysed every possible weakness we have and we'll have to save something in effort or team selection for Saturday. Already got this one down as a blank and will happily take a point.

Hopefully squad rotation and no one having a clue how potter will set up with mitigate this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Got tickets for this! Absolutely buzzing! Up the Albion!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Google, and BBC weather, combined, state that it's a 1hr 22min drizzle-infested walk to the stadium for me. So, a 10.45 departure for me. Looking forward to it, and not entirely fearful of this new-look Mourinho, who seems to have lost a little of his magical, defensive, underdog touch.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Didn’t realise we were so shit on Boxing Day.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Spurs haven't lost on Boxing Day, at home, since 1991.

Jose has never lost on Boxing Day.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here