Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Critics

Are film, TV and food critics the most pointless occupation that exists. Does anyone not go to see something or eat somewhere because of opinions of people paid to express them ? Are their opinions more valid than those of anyone else ?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Does anyone not go to see something or eat somewhere because of opinions of people paid to express them ?

No, it probably wouldn't put me off something I already wanted to see or eat.

Does anyone go to see something or eat somewhere because of opinions of people paid to express them ?

Yes, I'd go if they described something interesting. They will probably have seen a lot more films than I have, eaten at a lot more restaurants, and be aware of new stuff. What's to criticise?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
With the advent of YouTube I certainly have subscribed to certain film/tv critics channels to get their take on things. Many of them are just fans of certain genres so know far more than the regular critic who comments in everything and anything for papers or media.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
What intrigues me about upcoming films are the themes, trailers, and talent involved. I’ll watch certain YouTube critics like Chris Stuckman and The Flick Pick, but they probably won’t put me off going.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Lots of people are incapable of making decisions or having any opinion (not on here!) they also like being told what to do, politely . . . . Politics anyone?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Does anyone go to see something or eat somewhere because of opinions of people paid to express them?
Yes, undoubtedly some do.

Does anyone not go to see something or eat somewhere because of opinions of people paid to express them?
Yes, undoubtedly some do that too.

Lots of people are incapable of making decisions or having any opinion (not on here!) they also like being told what to do, politely . . . . Politics anyone?
‘Retweeting’ on NSC the comments of celeb and professional Remainers, was cringeworthy. Say what you think, FFS.
In both your cases, I would recommend extreme caution! Beware! Bozza's about!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Talking of which, Michelin stars, what a crock of crap!

Numerous times I've spent the best part of about £400 for a meal for two. What a TWAAT.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Critics are often much maligned for being " Critics ", mostly for getting dogs abuse for not giving positive reviews.... But, a critics job is to criticise poor work AND praise good work. Too much good goes unreported at the expense of overloaded negative reviews.....however, I don't think there can be any atom of praise for the film, Cats....from the trailers it looks utter gash.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Talking of which, Michelin stars, what a crock of crap!

Numerous times I've spent the best part of about £400 for a meal for two. What a TWAAT.

Yes, that's probably the description I would apply to anyone who contemplates spending £400 on a meal for two!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I once spent a small fortune on a massive blow up at petrus, was exceptional. Never regretted it.

I have had exceptionally good food at very reasonable prices, almost bargain basement, but that's as much a rarity.

I don't generally trust the opinion of anyone I don't know, or know to be knowledgeable on any given subject.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here