Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Family Law Solicitor Recommendation needed

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Has anyone got a recommendation for a Family Law Solicitor hopefully in the Worthing area?
A female friend has had an acrimonious break-up. The Partner is a bully and a right sh*t who is making it difficult to sort custody without going to Court so she needs a good but reasonably priced Solicitor. (Not sure if Legal Aid is claimable in this case).
Any recommendations are gratefully received. Any advice from NSC Solicitors also appreciated.
I am happy to share more information but only as a PM.
Thanks

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Unless she has a minimum of £5K plus VAT to spend on a solicitor. I would deal with all her Partner's correspondence herself. Allow it to go to Court and then Engage a Solicitor in advance of the hearing. General Correspondence back and forth between Solicitors can run into thousands of pounds and most if the early correspondence can be trivial and pointless and is always costly. I know a good one in London but they are extremely expensive. Charge out rates begin at £450 per hour plus VAT. So although good she could get better value for money elsewhere

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Unless she has a minimum of £5K plus VAT to spend on a solicitor. I would deal with all her Partner's correspondence herself. Allow it to go to Court and then Engage a Solicitor in advance of the hearing. General Correspondence back and forth between Solicitors can run into thousands of pounds and most if the early correspondence can be trivial and pointless and is always costly. I know a good one in London but they are extremely expensive. Charge out rates begin at £450 per hour plus VAT. So although good she could get better value for money elsewhere

This is the problem. We know he has money hidden away but pays her virtually nothing. So he can afford a Solicitor but she can't.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Contact the Brighton based charity RISE UK on 01273 622828, for advice. They would’ve come across these circumstances on many occasions, including where a control freak bully has all the funds.

Good luck to the lady, I hope she stays safe.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Family LA is pretty limited but your area Worthing I believe WMC legal offer it but the criteria is pretty strict

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
450 an hour? That is daylight robbery!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree . It's even more expensive if it ends up in the Higher Courts and has to be passed up to a Barrister

The £400 plus you mention is typical for central Brighton and Hove solicitors, with hourly charge out rates for their legal executives, secretaries and even the admin people for copying also at eye-watering sums. On non-controversial/non-litigation commercial matter, only last week I saw bills totalling £35,000 for a few weeks work by 2 Brighton firms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here