Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Witcher on Netfilx

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Just OD’d watching the Witcher on Netflix, wow like how the game knocked Skyrim out the park, the tv series knocked games of thrones for 6. Characters were so like the game brilliant casting, special effects and storyline

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just OD’d watching the Witcher on Netflix, wow like how the game knocked Skyrim out the park, the tv series knocked games of thrones for 6. Characters were so like the game brilliant casting, special effects and storyline

And, in English ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Last edited:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Seen the first 3 episodes.

Didn't realise until I read an article in the press that 2 of the 3 story threads are set years before the other one, so looking forward to how they tie it all together.

Ooohh! I’ve just finished ep 3 and didn’t realise until I read your post BV. So piglet’s storyline is happening when the king and his sister in Geralt’s storyline are kids? How is that supposed to be clear? The mage ball thing did make me think ‘huh, is this some weird magey flashback’

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Watched the first episode, perhaps it was over hyped, didn't meet expectations, felt a bit flimsy. Will persevere and hope it gets better. Not a patch on GoT from that episode

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ooohh! I’ve just finished ep 3 and didn’t realise until I read your post BV. So piglet’s storyline is happening when the king and his sister in Geralt’s storyline are kids? How is that supposed to be clear? The mage ball thing did make me think ‘huh, is this some weird magey flashback’

It does not help that certain characters do not age so look the same in each timeline. Anyway, here's some pointers :

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...lixs-the-witcher-less-confusing/#69cb6cc46e5e

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'd recommend Altered Carbon on Netflix, good action, lots of Thruppenny bits out and even plenty of growler on display. A big thumbs up amongst other things.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Very much enjoyed the series. Only thing I would have liked to see more of is actual monster hunting, which is the whole point of being a Witcher. Otherwise, very good and I eagerly await season 2.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Episode 2 was dire but perked up again, I like watching operations, may get number 4 in tonight if I can remember where I live.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Am I the only one struggling with this? I have watched the first four episodes, but imho it is very disappointing. I loved GOT, the Vikings and the Last Kingdom, but this is absolute piffle - acting, script and effects included.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Despite initial reservations I have worked my way through 2 episodes of The Witcher and its okish. My only problem is the deaths/murders/brutality that appears to be standard in this type of series these days.
I come from a time when the bad guys, and even the good guys, bit the bullet they would normally fight valiantly until overwhelmed by a clean and efficient coups de grace, they would sigh sadly and slide slowly down the wall or staircase with the knowledge that their masterplan for World Dominance/ Kingship/ local hoodlum had failed.... there would be a small spittle of blood on their lips and maybe a small spreading red stain on the slain's white shirt as he mumbled his final lines.

Fast forward to today and it's an absolute gorefest, no one just dies, they all seem to die horribly, The Witcher is no exception to this. When a simple arrow was a sound but sudden method of despatch now it requires an arrow through the throat, the eye or eventually one from one ear to another on its exit. Failing this there is the arrow/ Porcupine death of multiple arrows which despite their number allow the recipient the ability to stagger forward for several paces before collapsing in the dirt.

Our heroes now have to pirouette and duck and weave in a ballet of death as various combatants armed with a bewildering range of Pikes, lances, swords and sharpened gardening tools leap forwards one at a time to be given their split second blood soaked and spouting departure by our hero/ villain. An axe clanging in to a steel helmet is not enough, it has to split right down to the nose, a lance wound not enough, it has to go in and be rammed right through the victim in the manner of a Chicken satay or used to nail someone in death to a barn door before moving on to the next decapitation or amputation. Swords and daggers go through the throat or mouth and out the top of the head or the back of the head in a endless orgy of blood.

I know " War is Hell" and there are many violent deaths but do we need to see this sensationalised and gloried in ? I do know that Bears do shit in the woods but I'm sure David Attenborough would cover that swiftly and with a lighter touch in order to move to more informative proceedings..... I'm gored out.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
As a Witcher fan was a bit dissapointed. It's tryng to meld storylines toegtehr from the first two books and the beginning of the trilogy and doesn't quite work. Timelines are messy and just when you are getting involved with Ciri your forward in time to Geralt or Yennefer.

Hope it'll be like the Expanse. OK first series but the second season blows your mind. The material is there...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just watched episodes 7 and 8, all good stuff.

Enjoyed this series a lot - especially episodes 6 and 7.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
I watched it in 2 days , never read the books and played the game for 10 mins and never ever seen GOT’s . Really enjoyed it and roll on 2022 for next season

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I imagine if you are a fan of the game then you'll like it and understand all the references but as a stand alone piece of TV I thought it was utter gash. Unexplained and confusing intertwined timelines, a real lack of any character development and some dreadfully miscast roles, some really poor acting in places and full of tired clichés. Jennefer acted her role as a fantasy age mage like she had just dropped out of a crap reality TV show and her language and delivery was dull and uninspiring. The monotone Henry Cavill as the Witcher simply bored me and many other characters were one dimensional and flat. I found I couldn't care less about the characters and what happened to them in stark contrast to GOT where you really felt invested in the characters and they instilled genuine emotions. I felt I only persevered with it to the end out of spite and not with any real interest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here