Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Climate Change Hypocrisy

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So Coldplay won't tour their new album for environmental reasons (although all profits could go towards planting trees or non-fossil fuel solutions for stadiums), but doesn't stop Chris Martin and his family flying half way around the World for a bit of Christmas fun ... FFS you can't care for the planet on occasional PR days, I bet he also had to sit on the plane floor as all the other seats were taken.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...x-Chris-Martin-girlfriend-Dakota-Johnson.html

Maybe it's me but these people ram it down your throat when they've got a good aspect to promote and then give it scant regard when it suits!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That is an hugely simplistic view. What is the carbon footprint of a band like U2 or Coldplay touring the world, with crew, stages etc etc.... vs the geezer going on holiday for the weekend? I don't think Chris Martin is saying we should all stop flying and travelling. Just the logistics involved of a huge band / show touring can be avoided.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lewis Hamilton has to be the most hilarious eco-warrior this year, preaching to all and sundry about adopting a "sustainable lifestyle". A cataclysmic lack of self-awareness.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You've gotta be mad to go to a coldplay gig

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That is an hugely simplistic view. What is the carbon footprint of a band like U2 or Coldplay touring the world, with crew, stages etc etc.... vs the geezer going on holiday for the weekend? I don't think Chris Martin is saying we should all stop flying and travelling. Just the logistics involved of a huge band / show touring can be avoided.

I don't disagree, it is a simplistic view. However I'd also say if you REALLY cared about the planet do the tour, use the profits to drive eco-changes, as I've flagged, by turning the stadiums into more sustainable venues and supporting research and or eco-activities. My take on this, simplistic as it is, is that if you really cared you wouldn't fly your family there and you'd walk the walk!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Gretas boat trip was sponsored by BMW and they flew over the crew to get. The Dalai Lama got a Rolex watch. The leftist parties of Europe speak about bridging wealth gaps but do the opposite. Mourinho was implying he is no longer a **** but still is. The list is endless. Hypocrisy is one of the main traits in humans.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Gretas boat trip was sponsored by BMW and they flew over the crew to get. The Dalai Lama got a Rolex watch. The leftist parties of Europe speak about bridging wealth gaps but do the opposite. Mourinho was implying he is no longer a **** but still is. The list is endless. Hypocrisy is one of the main traits in humans.

Yes, that is sadly the truth. Whilst we would probably all deny it, we are hypocritical to varying degrees - the sins of others are always worse. We are on a rat run for a local school, and the car that always parks so that they have the shortest possible walk is the one with the Extinction Rebellion sticker on the back . .

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I care about climate change and try not to waste resources. I’ve also flown this year. I don’t consider that makes me a hypocrite, at least I don’t consider myself one.

Caring about climate change isn’t a moral absolute in my opinion.

It is surely more hypocritical to criticise someone for doing something that you do yourself which is why I’m not going to have a go at someone who is only doing what I do myself - i.e. in this case criticising someone for going on holiday by air.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Honestly the number of people that don’t get ‘Do as I say, not as I do...’

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

You never even got to Johnson !

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The person I have no time for is the OP, who seems to know something about Chris Martin. What's that all about? Those who watch ITV have only themselves to blame :shrug:

D

Deleted member 2719

So Coldplay won't tour their new album for environmental reasons (although all profits could go towards planting trees or non-fossil fuel solutions for stadiums), but doesn't stop Chris Martin and his family flying half way around the World for a bit of Christmas fun ... FFS you can't care for the planet on occasional PR days, I bet he also had to sit on the plane floor as all the other seats were taken.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...x-Chris-Martin-girlfriend-Dakota-Johnson.html

Maybe it's me but these people ram it down your throat when they've got a good aspect to promote and then give it scant regard when it suits!

There are too many people talking a good game out there, and it is right to expose them all.

You're either in or out, none of this shake it about, malarky.

More annoyed that you start the post with so.

So what.

abc

Jan 6, 2007

I think the OP's point is contained in the word 'hypocrisy'. Wealthy celebrities love to preach and take virtuous 'look at me' stances as if they are the only people that care about whatever issue is their bag on a particular day, but their actions outside of their virtue signalling PR too often show them up as hypocrites. I am far more impressed with an ordinary person with an ordinary income that chooses to, say, plant a tree, cycle to work or turn down the heating. Not so dramatic and wont get a headline but actually requires more sacrifice.

(The exception to the celeb rule is Greta of course, who seems determined not to be a hypocrite and I respect her for this as much as anything she has achieved)

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Coldplay have been sucking the life out of this planet for years so I would support any movement that makes them stop

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here