Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Next team to suffer racist abuse at Spurs....

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
All eyes and ears of the media will be on our game..... how far into the new UEFA 3 stage process do we think it will go, this time?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Racist abuse or homophobic chanting?
QPR (was it 3 years back) walking back to the coach and a few oppo fans started the 'we can see you' chant. Police weren't interested when approached despite witnessing it.
I have strong thoughts about all this, and I'll put my hands up straight away to monkey chanting in the 70's at the Goldstone.
Scenario, a black guy is picked on by a white guy.
In a room of 100 people, another white guy will say something racist.
In a room of 1000 people, two white guys will back the white guy.
In a room of 10,000 people, 10 white guys may start a fight against the black guy.
In a stadium of 60,000 fans, 1 white guy said something. How can we stop that?
Also, if Spurs are 0:2 down, what's to stop the crowd chanting racist songs to get the game stopped?
Personally, I'm an old man now and completely changed, but not everyone has changed their attitudes, I just don't know how to solve it.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
QPR (was it 3 years back) walking back to the coach and a few oppo fans started the 'we can see you' chant. Police weren't interested when approached despite witnessing it.

It’s a nothing chant that should be water off a duck’s back to all of us.

Best response is “You’re too ugly to be gay.”

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have strong thoughts about all this, and I'll put my hands up straight away to monkey chanting in the 70's at the Goldstone.
Scenario, a black guy is picked on by a white guy.
In a room of 100 people, another white guy will say something racist.
In a room of 1000 people, two white guys will back the white guy.
In a room of 10,000 people, 10 white guys may start a fight against the black guy.
In a stadium of 60,000 fans, 1 white guy said something. How can we stop that?
Also, if Spurs are 0:2 down, what's to stop the crowd chanting racist songs to get the game stopped?
Personally, I'm an old man now and completely changed, but not everyone has changed their attitudes, I just don't know how to solve it.

Because you might get that game stopped but that will probably be the last game you ever see! If it is a crowd chanting then they might ban everyone they identify or they might pick out random ones to set an example (when I say random, I mean out of 100 chanting they'll ban 20). I'm sure they have a waiting list for season tickets.

With regard to racism, I doubt in most cases you ever really change a racist's mindset but what you can do is try and stop it spreading to the next generation. It won't (or hasn't) happened overnight but as you say, it is far better now than it was in the 70s.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
It’s a nothing chant that should be water off a duck’s back to all of us.

Best response is “You’re too ugly to be gay.”

100% with you on this, but I bet you're white.
Are you saying that a black player should just accept racism in the same way a Brighton fan should accept homophobia?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
100% with you on this, but I bet you're white.
Are you saying that a black player should just accept racism in the same way a Brighton fan should accept homophobia?

Yes, I’m white.

I didn’t say that, no.

In your hypothetical example, someone would have been specifically targeted. The gay thing is just a general chant we get thrown at us. They don’t actually think we’re gay.

As for black players. Actually taking the piss out of their abusers might be the best thing they can do on a personal level (obviously the authorities have their own procedures). Bullies want their victims to be upset and indignant. If they’re scornful and jeer back, they don’t have much room for manoeuvre.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
A bit puzzled that if anyone does something racist, stupid or whatever publicly it’s all over social media. Some twunt in the crowd at Spurs makes racist noises and nobody saw anything? Don’t believe it myself.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given the team we started with on Saturday - not sure we are at risk of suffering any racist abuse

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This could have happened at any ground in England. A minority of individuals think since the EU Referendum vote and Nigel's Syrian refugee poster they've been given a licence to be racist.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
This could have happened at any ground in England. A minority of individuals think since the EU Referendum vote and Nigel's Syrian refugee poster they've been given a licence to be racist.

Yes, there was never any racist chanting in football before that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, there was never any racist chanting in football before that.

Things have clearly got worse in England from where we were 4 or 5 years ago. The rise in documented hate crimes is a matter of fact and a by-product of that is more racism in and around football. It doesn't surprise me and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Didn’t you have 2 fans banned for racially abusing Son ?
Stones and greenhouses come to mind.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Didn’t you have 2 fans banned for racially abusing Son ?
Stones and greenhouses come to mind.

Yep and we dealt with it.

Similar to the way Cantona dealt with the shit he was getting I guess

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here