Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Amex food quality and cost

skr80

Oct 9, 2003
Bar the pies which I am told are nice, I am very disappointed with the steamed burger, and the literal sausage in a bread roll. Quality poor, taste wise terrible, and price wise way too expensive.
Also nearly 2 quid for a small bottle of water - and no water fountains for refills.
Will be eating before attending games in future.
Do you like the food choices at the ground?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Bar the pies which I am told are nice, I am very disappointed with the steamed burger, and the literal sausage in a bread roll. Quality poor, taste wise terrible, and price wise way too expensive.
Also nearly 2 quid for a small bottle of water - and no water fountains for refills.

I’m more amazed it’s taken you since 2011 to work this out?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I’m more amazed it’s taken you since 2011 to work this out?

The food at the Amex is hideously overpriced for the quality of it, think my pie count is two since it opened and one cup of bovril.

It is a definite no from me.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I’d like to say Merry Christmas Pal-Arse fans.

The reason is, every time there’s a food thread on NSC, the biggest losers on BBS always spot it and say “SQUAWK! The weed are talking about food again. SQUAWK! Not proper fans! SQUAWK! Concourses and nice food is for plastics!”

But in answer to the question, I sometimes have a burger or hot dog. Taste-wise they’re adequate, but they’re at least a pound too expensive. And the fizzy drinks are twice the price of Tesco and not even chilled. Total rip off.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I had the halloumi festive burger on Saturday, it was excellent. The amount of halloumi was brilliant, usually you get absolutely shafted but it was good value for money. :thumbsup:

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012

I've just worked out at the game Saturday you can get pints of tap water for nothing from the kiosks. Gutted I've spent probably hundreds over the years on bottles of water, but looking forward to my future savings.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Always found the pies and the new prime burger to be rather good, a little expensive but you know you are going to pay over the odds when you are at any stadium or arena. The hot dogs are plain and boring. Had the festive burger at the Sheffield United game which unfortunately was rather dry, but taste waste wasn't bad.

I've certainly had worse, remember a burger at York many many years ago that was served so cold I think they'd cooked it and re-froze it afterwards.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I've just worked out at the game Saturday you can get pints of tap water for nothing from the kiosks. Gutted I've spent probably hundreds over the years on bottles of water, but looking forward to my future savings.

Anywhere with an alcohol license has to give out free tap water as a legal requirement.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The sausage rolls are superb IMO with the top three being:

Sausage roll with red onion
Sausage roll with stilton and christmas chutney
Sausage roll with red leicester

no more expensive compared to most other grounds - palace was £5 for a small bottle of calsberg, which I think was the early bird price

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

We've been doing this ever since bottle-top-gate.

I have no issue with paying for bottles of water, but I was getting thoroughly pissed off at the number of times bottles were getting knocked over at our seats.

No one wants to sit at a football game holding a bottle of drink to protect it from spillage, so we just get plastic pints of tap water now, save c£2 and just get another one if it gets knocked over, which is a rarer occurrence given the shape of a pint "glass" relative to a bottle.

My kids love the pies, and get one every game. I've always found the veggie pies decent too. I don't think the prices are that bad - certainly on a par with other places and our pies are amongst the best out there.

However, there does seem to be an interesting movement in the US where sports teams are reducing prices at concession stands quite considerably and moving away from the "you're a captive audience so we will fleece you" model we all know and (don't) love:

Atlanta Falcons reduced prices by 50%: https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe...-additional-unforeseen-benefits/#5ae0f0016399

Baltimore Ravens followed suit: https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-ravens/2018/07/baltimore_ravens_slash_concess.html

Atlanta Falcons reduced some prices even further, meaning you can now get a hot dog for just $1.50 (a little over a quid right now): https://mercedesbenzstadium.com/mercedes-benz-stadium-cuts-food-prices-second-time/

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I dont even like the pies [emoji54]
Food at football has always and will always be poor

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In other news, service stations and airports can be expensive...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
pies are good and tasty, hot dog passable, not had burger but friends seem say ok. pricing is high compared to say a bakery, but when you'll pay 6.50 from a pie shop, its not so pricey.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
pies are good and tasty, hot dog passable, not had burger but friends seem say ok. pricing is high compared to say a bakery, but when you'll pay 6.50 from a pie shop, its not so pricey.

Agreed. A Turners Pie from one of their shops is £3.80 - so they aren't really that expensive given the environment

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We've been doing this ever since bottle-top-gate.

I have no issue with paying for bottles of water, but I was getting thoroughly pissed off at the number of times bottles were getting knocked over at our seats.

No one wants to sit at a football game holding a bottle of drink to protect it from spillage, so we just get plastic pints of tap water now, save c£2 and just get another one if it gets knocked over, which is a rarer occurrence given the shape of a pint "glass" relative to a bottle.

My kids love the pies, and get one every game. I've always found the veggie pies decent too. I don't think the prices are that bad - certainly on a par with other places and our pies are amongst the best out there.

However, there does seem to be an interesting movement in the US where sports teams are reducing prices at concession stands quite considerably and moving away from the "you're a captive audience so we will fleece you" model we all know and (don't) love:

Atlanta Falcons reduced prices by 50%: https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe...-additional-unforeseen-benefits/#5ae0f0016399

Baltimore Ravens followed suit: https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-ravens/2018/07/baltimore_ravens_slash_concess.html

Atlanta Falcons reduced some prices even further, meaning you can now get a hot dog for just $1.50 (a little over a quid right now): https://mercedesbenzstadium.com/mercedes-benz-stadium-cuts-food-prices-second-time/

The 90% increase in merch sales due to the fan first pricing jumps out. I wonder if there’s an overall profit to slashing food and beer?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here