Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Joe Strummer

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I can't believe it's 17 years ago today that he died. :down:

What a legacy he left.

He hated extreme right wing politics and would have hated the direction that politics in this country has taken. Strangely prescient too - "If Adolf Hitler flew in today, they'd send a limousine anyway", a line in the magnificent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkM5lrrnq_Y

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Taken too young at 50 years of age, never forgotten. RIP

One of my favourite bands and I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news about his death on the radio.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

One of my favourite bands and I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard the new about his death on the radio.

Me too.

I had to drive to Cambridge to see my mum for Christmas that day. I listened to The Clash all the way, and God, I was emotional.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Simply a charismatic, ground breaking, musical genius.

The politics don’t come into it for me (I’m not left wing anyway), I just love their songs, his vocals, all part of those exciting musical times. Unique they way they blended reggae and punk.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

One of my favourite bands and I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news about his death on the radio.

Same here. I was in the Nelson and Seagulls Over London’s Quiet Bob (to differentiate him from Loud Bob) told me. Sadly Quiet Bob died a short while after as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m now listening to London Calling with a red wine on the go. RIP Joe.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I only just found out that Brand New Cadillac was a cover version of Vince Taylor’s from 1959. The man who took so much LSD and Rose Mateus that he became the Messiah that Ziggy Stardust was based upon. There must be a podcast somewhere. I heard it on BBC World Service.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
One of the most important and influential bands of all time. I just felt numb when I heard his passing announced on the radio.

Frustratingly, he and Mick were seriously considering reforming the band (although Paul was less keen) and Mick had joined Joe on stage during a Mescaleros gig (for the Fire Brigade Union) at Acton Town Hall just over a month before he died. They'd worked on some stuff which I don't think has ever been released. Such a shame that a whole new generation didn't get the chance to see such an iconic band but I'm glad I did.

On 5th June 1977, Joe and Don Letts went to the Hammersmith Palais to see a number of Jamaican acts (Dillinger, Leroy Smart, Delroy Wilson, Ken Boothe, etc). Joe was anticipating some 'roots rock rebellion' but was disappointed with the tame fare on show and likened it to soft stuff like the Four Tops.

White Man In Hammersmith Palais was, in my opinion, one of Joe's finest songs combining his frustration with the above gig with promoting unity between black and white youths and the mainstream state of the punk scene in 1978 together with the social decline in the country. He wrote some brilliant stuff and is still very greatly missed!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I mentioned it on another thread years ago that someone I worked with was in a band with him before he joined Woody and the Splinters ('Woody Mellor, pick and shovel guitar) and that I have a rare, possibly unique memento: the first Clash album on vinyl, signed by the man himself. If only he and Mick....oh well.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mainly for [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION]:

I never thought of the Clash as 'left wing' (certainly not in 77-79). They were simply 'anti-Nazi'. We had bone heads all over the shop in the late 70s and early 80s. I remember crossing the Euston road in my punky/rocabilly casual wear, brothel creepers, Levis, donkey jacket, hennaed hair, eye liner, and two bone heads were crossing the other way' 'What do you think of the British Movement pal?' says one, while the other walks by then puches me on the back of my head from behind. Then they ran away. Lowlife scum.

My recollection was left wing political/musical identity appeared only when Red Wedge started up. Labour were in charge till 79, and were not much of a magnet for yoof. The Clash were about DIY general rebellion, opposition to facists, support for squatting, fondness for weed and for speed. Oh, and in the case of Strummer, copious amounts of legover. Simpler times.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011

I never thought of the Clash as 'left wing' (certainly not in 77-79). They were simply 'anti-Nazi'. We had bone heads all over the shop in the late 70s and early 80s. I remember crossing the Euston road in my punky/rocabilly casual wear, brothel creepers, Levis, donkey jacket, hennaed hair, eye liner, and two bone heads were crossing the other way' 'What do you think of the British Movement pal?' says one, while the other walks by then puches me on the back of my head from behind. Then they ran away. Lowlife scum.

My recollection was left wing political/musical identity appeared only when Red Wedge started up. Labour were in charge till 79, and were not much of a magnet for yoof. The Clash were about DIY general rebellion, opposition to facists, support for squatting, fondness for weed and for speed. Oh, and in the case of Strummer, copious amounts of legover. Simpler times.

Anti Nazi League and Rock Against Racism pioneers - Joe and the boys were lefties from the start and all the better for it.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I saw what I think was one of his last gigs in the UK, playing the Fleadh in Finsbury Park in support of the Pogues that summer (with the Mescallaros).

So many great tribute songs to the great man, but this is my favourite:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anti Nazi League and Rock Against Racism pioneers - Joe and the boys were lefties from the start and all the better for it.

Hmmm.....I went to countless ANL and RAR gigs, but all I got from the bands in terms of vibe and politics was 'against the Front' as TRB would put it. I don't recall any actual left politics engagement till Red Skins and Billy Bragg. As for Crass....

ANL was marinated in SWP, and the politicos certainly got all excited about having some bands do benefit gigs but....SWP, a silly cult (did I spell that right? ???). Never a word of actual positive politics at any gig I went to. Bernie Rhodes would certainly have wanted the Clash on the menu at the big RAR gigs, Finsbury park....but it was more about anti racism, harmony with the reggae boys, and just being there...it was not real left politics.

Look at what was released. Off the top of my head we have 'Right to Work' by Gene October's band (who I saw - forget the name)....this was a protest against all the unemployment under the Callaghan labour government. But it wasn't in favour of anything. I can't think of a single punk records that speaks out in favour of the SWP. Labour weren't worth speaking out for, then.....dinosaurs.

I was very left wing by 1980 (with no place/party to call home), but the left activists were weird geeks, mostly SWP, not really part of the punk scene or the post punk scene (this is about MUSIC let's not forget).

In all the hundreds of punk gigs I went to between 77 and 80, nobody ever tried to recruit me into a left politics organisation, nobody ever said anything at any gig I went to about how to vote, and never did I ever hear Strummer or anyone else endorse the SWP. :shrug:

No, punk rock was about going mental, and upsetting people. Get pissed, destroy. Strummer may have found political coherence when he got older, but back then....no. :shrug:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Hmmm.....I went to countless ANL and RAR gigs, but all I got from the bands in terms of vibe and politics was 'against the Front' as TRB would put it. I don't recall any actual left politics engagement till Red Skins and Billy Bragg. As for Crass....

ANL was marinated in SWP, and the politicos certainly got all excited about having some bands do benefit gigs but....SWP, a silly cult (did I spell that right? ???). Never a word of actual positive politics at any gig I went to. Bernie Rhodes would certainly have wanted the Clash on the menu at the big RAR gigs, Finsbury park....but it was more about anti racism, harmony with the reggae boys, and just being there...it was not real left politics.

Look at what was released. Off the top of my head we have 'Right to Work' by Gene October's band (who I saw - forget the name)....this was a protest against all the unemployment under the Callaghan labour government. But it wasn't in favour of anything. I can't think of a single punk records that speaks out in favour of the SWP. Labour weren't worth speaking out for, then.....dinosaurs.

I was very left wing by 1980 (with no place/party to call home), but the left activists were weird geeks, mostly SWP, not really part of the punk scene or the post punk scene (this is about MUSIC let's not forget).

In all the hundreds of punk gigs I went to between 77 and 80, nobody ever tried to recruit me into a left politics organisation, nobody ever said anything at any gig I went to about how to vote, and never did I ever hear Strummer or anyone else endorse the SWP. :shrug:

No, punk rock was about going mental, and upsetting people. Get pissed, destroy. Strummer may have found political coherence when he got older, but back then....no. :shrug:

Saw Crass at Digneth civic hall 1980, Don’t remember it being political but I do remember the fighting when Skinheads gate crashed the gig.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Tommy Gun was often mentioned by myself to the poster AKA Bushy.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I’m a ‘floating voter’ and I’ve naturally never let party politics enter my musical thoughts. Not stupid, I’m aware that musicians are generally either left wing or apolitical. I don’t really care about their views, for music it’s purely whether the hook or vocals in a song sing to my soul.

When these bands used to pack 2,000 into The Dome or Top Rank Suite, I’m absolutely certain that most people were not there in any shape or form for the politics. Simply a love of the music, the bundles, the craic with mates, the piss up.

I’ve always thought that us Brits in the main don’t take to artists and celebs trying to influence our vote. Whether it be Bob Monkhouse, Kenny Everitt, Charlotte Church or Hugh Grant. They come across as arrogant dicks.

Away from party politics or the over-egged class war in the UK, I find footage of the 1963 March on Washington performances by Baez, Dylan and Peter, Paul & Mary stunning. In the context of real suffering by blacks in the racist Deep South, goose bumps stuff.

Back on point, The Clash were stunning.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Saw Crass at Digneth civic hall 1980, Don’t remember it being political but I do remember the fighting when Skinheads gate crashed the gig.

That summarises it all.

And where was Jeremy Corbyn at the time? ???

****ing nowhere, that's where.

Punk was rightly obsessed with facists, but it was all streetworld, not real world. Lacking sufficient confidence to actually engage with the process of change. Wasn't the Resources Centre burned down by NF tossers? Probably old Droopy and his chums (except they'd have been too young - still at home listening to Cliff Richard, eh, Droops?).

Waiting for some comment from [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION]. That said, he wasn't on the scene 77-79 was he (in Canterbury - someone had to be).....what year was it the Molesters came and caused trouble with him and his band at the Resources centre (I was sharing a flat with one of their singers at the time, TP if any of you know her)? I think at least 3 of his band are on NSC! Weirdly I don't think I ever saw Attila's band live (unless they were so shit I have forgotten - Johnny and the shit outs?). Also, why did Attila hate Billy Bragg? I have an attila mp3 which is just a piss rip of Bragg. Division and factionalism. Always effs up the left. And if you* disagree I'll put you on ignore.

*That was a joke. As a lefty, I was eventually able to do jokes when I hit my late 30s. Meister now, eh? ??? :rave::rave::rave::rave::rave::lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here