Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Sheffield United *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
attachment.php
attachment.php

Albion v Sheffield United

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Saturday 21st December 2019
Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Referee: Robert Jones
Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett
Fourth official: Keith Stroud
VAR: Michael Oliver
Assistant VAR: Neil Davies

TEAM NEWS

Brighton forward Aaron Connolly is fit to return and Dale Stephens is available after serving a suspension.

The Seagulls' only absentees are Solly March and Jose Izquierdo because of respective groin and knee injuries.

Sheffield United midfielder John Fleck is serving a one-match ban for accumulating five bookings. Luke Freeman or Mo Besic may deputise.

Manager Chris Wilder reports no fresh injures and is boosted by Callum Robinson's return after illness.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Tony Husband: A year ago, Graham Potter and Chris Wilder were managing Championship clubs and, in what might be a sign of a renaissance of British managers in the Premier League, both are prospering after stepping up.

Wilder's steered the Blades into the Premier League and has emboldened most of the squad which got promoted with the belief they too can achieve at the higher level.

If they can make it nine top-flight away games without defeat they will match Burnley's record for a promoted club, set 72 years ago.

Potter has kept faith with most of the squad he inherited from Chris Hughton, but in Neal Maupay and Leandro Trossard, Albion have added a cutting edge and the Amex fans are lapping up the football. I'm hoping the first top-flight meeting between this pair doesn't disappoint.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Graham Potter on Sheffield United: "I saw them last year in the Championship and I understood how hard it is to play against them. If you have that collective understanding and belief, along with confidence in each other, then I think you can go a long way and achieve fantastic results.

"It's nice for the Premier League that a side can come up from the league below and do so well. Perhaps people were looking at them as the whipping boys of the division and to go back down, but football isn't as simple as that."

Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder on Brighton's Neal Maupay: "We had discussions with Neal in the summer. There were quite a few clubs in the same pond. We wanted to improve at the top of the pitch and he was a player we knew a lot about with his exploits at Brentford. We looked at him and he was a possibility but players make their choices and he chose to sign for Brighton.

"It was a good signing for them and they're a powerful football club. I know a little bit about them too, from a period I had there as a player."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]This is the first top-flight fixture between the sides.
    [*=left]Their most recent encounter was a 3-1 Championship win for Sheffield United in January 2006.
    [*=left]Sheffield United have lost only one of the past eight meetings (W5, D2).
    [*=left]The Blades are unbeaten on their last four visits to Brighton (W2, D2).
Albion

• [*=left]Brighton are unbeaten in three successive league games for the first time since January.
    [*=left]They have won only one of seven matches against the sides currently occupying the top eight places (D1, L5).
    [*=left]Five of the Seagulls' eight home league fixtures have been goalless at half-time.
    [*=left]Albion have won just three of 12 Premier League fixtures against promoted sides (D4, L5).
    [*=left]Neal Maupay has scored in three successive league appearances, which is as many as in his previous 13 games.
    [*=left]Maupay is only the second Seagulls player to score in three successive Premier League fixtures, after Glenn Murray in November 2017.
Sheffield United

• [*=left]Sheffield United are looking to become just the second promoted team in English top-flight history to remain unbeaten in their opening nine away matches, emulating Burnley in 1947-48.
    [*=left]They are on a club league record run of 17 unbeaten away fixtures since a 1-0 defeat at Graham Potter's then-Swansea side in January (W6, D11).
    [*=left]The Blades could record three consecutive Premier League victories for the first time since August 1993.
    [*=left]Sheffield United have lost just one of their past 10 league games (W4, D5).
    [*=left]A league-high five of United's goals have been scored by substitutes. Brighton are next on the list with four.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Looking forward to this one. Hopefully a good atmposhere with a new team coming to the Amex with a pretty decent following although maybe we'll be asleep in the stands again like we were against Wolves. Be nice to make some Christmas noise and, yes, the North Stand has to lead it.

On the pitch a chance to welcome an old player back as a manager. Wilder has done amazingly with these and, as pointed out on another thread, they've not lost away all season. On the other hand that has to break at some point and Potter's Swansea beat them twice last season.

Given that away record it seems a bit "teams like Brighton" to point out we really should beat a team that regularly features Norwood, McGoldrick and Billy Sharp, espeacially as the latter was actually killed by Lewis Dunk at the Amex over eight years ago. But I think that's their strength. Wilder has done what Tony wants Potter to do, make a team out of some relatively cheaply assembled parts. Their wing backs are both decent and they've been strong in midfield all season.

As above, heart says three points but head says this is not the easy game we might have thought it was back in August. It will be like taking on a slightly more flairtastic version of Burnley with added overlapping centre backs on both teams.

DRAW. Lump on.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think they suit us well and with Fleck out we'll dominate the game if we can shut down Norwood. That said they still have great confidence and I think a draw is most likely.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think they suit us well and with Fleck out we'll dominate the game if we can shut down Norwood. That said they still have great confidence and I think a draw is most likely.

I'd forgotten Fleck was suspended. Certainly a postive for us.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Looking forward to this one. Hopefully a good atmposhere with a new team coming to the Amex with a pretty decent following although maybe we'll be asleep in the stands again like we were against Wolves. Be nice to make some Christmas noise and, yes, the North Stand has to lead it.

Wonder what today's excuse will be? Too much rain last few days dampened the spirits.

Having said that I'm sure the Blades fans will be in good voice considering their insane away form, so hopefully that'll wake us up!

Looking forward to this one. It's going to be a tight but entertaining game I'm sure. Score draw I reckon, but hoping we nick it...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
1-1 or 2-2

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
For all the media back slapping of Sheffield Utd heading to Europe and the rest of the bollocks today we can cut their slender lead on us down to 2pts, such a long way to go.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Like what Wilder says about Maupay and that they put in an offer but chose us. Wasn't aware of that. :albion2:

High scoring game but 3-2 to the Blue and White Stripes.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Can’t see Sheff Utd getting a goal today unless we make a mistake at the back. Assuming we will and that Maupay hits the back of net from one of the good chances he gets, I’m going for 1-1.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
They've only conceded 16 and haven't lost away in about 100 years, but i admire your confidence!

I know what your saying but they have to lose at some point and the way we are playing someone is going to get punished sooner or later.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Potter knows how to beat them.1 - 0 to the good guys,Aaron.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here