Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Drinking and Driving

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
This is a seriously powerful anti drink driving video.
I know it’s a few years old and filmed in Australia but it could be worth watching if you are thinking of driving after a few drinks this festive season.
Be safe everyone and have a lovely Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l5Wa94ynss

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
As someone that has had a friend killed by a drink driver I'd just like to say drink drivers are selfish scum that deserve much harsher penalties than they get.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Sorry to hear about your friend.

Drink drivers can be selfish scum. However I have an acquaintance who has had his life ruined by a drink driving conviction. Lost his job and as a result also his home. His marriage broke down shortly after.

I don't think he's a bad person, just had a moment where he made a very, very bad decision. But it's worth taking into account that judgement is severely impaired when drinking.

Because of this real life example, I don't necessarily think drink drivers are always "selfish scum", although you're right that a lot of the time they are. Some people just make very poor life decisions, often on a whim, and can destroy their own lives or the lives of others as a result.

I think the moral of the story is that we all need it drilled into us that no matter the circumstances, driving after a few drinks is never, ever an option. It can and will ruin lives.

I've no sympathy whatsoever for your friend and think they deserve it all; preferably with a lengthy prison sentence too.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If this thread makes one person think twice about drink driving, job done. :thumbsup:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I've no sympathy whatsoever for your friend and think they deserve it all; preferably with a lengthy prison sentence too.

My sister was killed by a drink driver in the early 90's - The bloke got a 4 year sentence and was out in 22 months! Have never truly got over it.

No excuse - you just don't drink anything if you're going to drive. Simple.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Back ‘in the day’ many of us drunk drove on occasion, some habitually. This would include being over limit when driving to work the next day. I knew many people who were caught and banned in the 70’s and 80’s. On other occasions where drivers were caught, the local copper said to park up and walk home.

It seems that DD has diminished in recent times, but part replaced by the equal menace of drug driving. Large numbers of Brits are into Cocaine and/or Dope, you can bet that many are driving as they please. Senses impaired.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Back ‘in the day’ many of us drunk drove on occasion, some habitually. This would include being over limit when driving to work the next day. I knew many people who were caught and banned in the 70’s and 80’s. On other occasions where drivers were caught, the local copper said to park up and walk home.

It seems that DD has diminished in recent times, but part replaced by the equal menace of drug driving. Large numbers of Brits are into Cocaine and/or Dope, you can bet that many are driving as they please. Senses impaired.

This ! The police struggle to have a kerbside safe level for all the drugs doing the rounds these days.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Back ‘in the day’ many of us drunk drove on occasion, some habitually. This would include being over limit when driving to work the next day. I knew many people who were caught and banned in the 70’s and 80’s. On other occasions where drivers were caught, the local copper said to park up and walk home..

This. Scarey when I look back at the state I rode my motorbike home after the pub or a party.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

Equally, the police themselves (told to me by an ex 1970s era Sussex PC) would drink drive on duty, visiting pubs while on shift.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Remember DD is not just the night, a lot of people drive the next day still well over the limit. I think I read that 4 pints of Stella between 9-11pm means no safe driving until midday as it takes at least 1hr before you start ‘burning’ off the alcohol then 1 unit an hour burn rate. So please please all think carefully over festive period as it’s not just your life at risk

Remember DD is not just the night, a lot of people drive the next day still well over the limit. I think I read that 4 pints of Stella between 9-11pm means no safe driving until midday as it takes at least 1hr before you start ‘burning’ off the alcohol then 1 unit an hour burn rate. So please please all think carefully over festive period as it’s not just your life at risk

Exactly.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

s

This. In the 70s and 80s drink driving was endemic. I am guilty of it myself in the past. I’m not proud of it. I was a tithead. I don’t drink anymore.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I wonder how many drivers will be over the limit leaving the various car parks after the match today?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

s

This. In the 70s and 80s drink driving was endemic. I am guilty of it myself in the past. I’m not proud of it. I was a tithead. I don’t drink anymore.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
No sympathy for drink drivers but would be against zero. I and am sure others meet friends in pub and have one pint. Also out for a meal have one glass of wine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here