Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Is 15 years in jail for burning a pride flag a bit extreme?

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
A US judge has handed down a sentence of at least 15 years to a man who stole an LGBT pride flag from a church and burned it outside a strip club.
Adolfo Martinez, 30, admitted to the media that he took the flag from Ames United Church of Christ due to his animosity towards homosexuals.
He was found guilty last month of hate crime harassment, reckless use of fire and being a habitual offender.
The incident occurred around midnight on 11 June in downtown Ames, Iowa.
Police say the crime spree began at Dangerous Curves, a strip club, when police were called because a man was making threats. By the time they arrived, he had already been kicked out by bar staff.
After leaving the club, Martinez then travelled to the church and ripped down its flag. He then returned to the strip club where he used lighter fluid to burn the flag in the street. He also threatened to burn down the bar.
He was arrested later that day, and told local media in a jail house interview that he was "guilty as charged".
"It was an honour to do that. It's a blessing from the Lord," he said, explaining that he did it because he "opposed homosexuality".
"I burned down their pride, plain and simple," he told KCCI-TV. The interview was entered into the trial as evidence against him.
Church pastor Eileen Gebbie, who identifies as gay woman, says she agrees that Martinez' actions were motivated by hatred.
"I often experienced Ames as not being as progressive as many people believe it is, and there still is a very large closeted queer community here," she told the Des Moines Register when he was convicted in November.
"But 12 people that I don't know, who have no investment in me or this congregation, said this man committed a crime, and it was a crime borne of bigotry and hatred."
Story County Attorney Jessica Reynolds said Martinez was the first person in the county's history to be convicted of a hate crime.
"The hard reality is there are people who target individuals and commit crimes against individuals because of their race, gender, sexual orientation," she told the Ames Tribune.
"And when that happens it's so important that as a society we stand up and people have severe consequences for those actions."

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
He committed a hate crime. I think its a valid sentence for acting like a dick.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Yes, seems excessive. But I don’t care, as the sort of person who would do that gets no remorse from me.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Repeat offender, stole the flag and then while apparently making a nuisance of himself at a bar (
disorderly/ disturbing the peace), proceeded to set light to it.

In the US do they still have the three strikes rule. If so lucky he only got 15 years!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Ludicrous sentence. He sounds like an absolute nutter and may have a criminal record as long as his arm, but 15 years?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Would understand the harshness of the sentence if the owner still had the flag wrapped around them.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The USA has some increadably severe punishments for crimes that if convicted for in Europe might result in some reeducation and a spell of community service

SAC

May 21, 2014
If he was serious about burning down a bar with people in it then 15 years is understandable.

15 years for theft of a flag then burning it is ridiculous and it is no wonder they have such overcrowding in US gaols. Community service and education would have been more appropriate.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Boris Johnson no doubt has said that the sentence is soft and under his new Government it will be at least 30 years, as the Tories go for tough sentences rather than justice.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
If that was for a first offence then its ludicrous, however from the report it says habitual offender, but we don't know what the previous crimes were. I suspect this is a case of not being gaoled for burning the flag, but a case of that being the straw that broke the camels back. If his previous was for reckless endangerment of life , continual threats and possibly actual violence , it becomes less extreme. Without knowing the background of the offender its not possible to say whether or not its harsh. Perhaps there is a history of in and out of gaol, previous similar offences etc.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
If that was for a first offence then its ludicrous, however from the report it says habitual offender, but we don't know what the previous crimes were. I suspect this is a case of not being gaoled for burning the flag, but a case of that being the straw that broke the camels back. If his previous was for reckless endangerment of life , continual threats and possibly actual violence , it becomes less extreme. Without knowing the background of the offender its not possible to say whether or not its harsh. Perhaps there is a history of in and out of gaol, previous similar offences etc.

Exactly. the previous offences have not been mentioned, so we do not know the full story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here