Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If you were Glen Murray....

If you were Glen Murray would you (a) stick with the Albion even though you won't probably get a lot of game time or (b) go for one last hurrah somewhere else, possibly even in the Championship?

With all the games over Christmas and New Year he'll probably get more time than he has been getting but after that probably not, especially if we sign another forward.

I still think he can win a game (or two) for us before the season is out and presumably he'll start against Sheff Wed but I can't see him getting a regular start.

Maybe we should do what Sours did way back in the 60's when they sold England centre forward Bobby Smith to us for peanuts so that he could negotiate a good pay deal with us (a fair amount of which ended up in Bookies' pockets) .

I'm not even sure our style of play suits Glen these days but I'm sure he'd still be able hack it in the Championship and maybe make himself a hero by getting another team promoted?

One things for sure, we won't just move him on and say thanks for the memories, what he wants to do will be up to him.

I'm not sure what I would do if I were him, stick with PL wages and hope to score the winner against Palace or go for glory somewhere else?

Decisions, decisions ......

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Stay and retire in the summer and then concentrate on his media work. I think he’s probably already been talking about the future with Sky.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Stay and retire, he's earnt a few bob and has Sky etc opportunities (although needs to polish his patter a little)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Stay, keep taking the PL wages, help the younger strikers and get the odd sub/cup appearance and retire at the end of the season, being subbed off 2 mins before the end of the last home game to a colossal ovation having scored a hat trick that cements a top 10 finish for us.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Stay and retire in the summer and then concentrate on his media work. I think he’s probably already been talking about the future with Sky.

I mean this in the nicest possible way about an Albion legend but I really hope he has something else lined up alongside the media work. He’s not a natural to say the least.

Obviously he might not want to coach but I always think it’s a shame when the game loses someone of his experience and who is clearly an intelligent player on the pitch, has had ups and downs and has developed his game over the years for longevity. He’s got so much he could pass on.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Exactly this. Glenn is an astute guy, he has achieved an awful lot from the game, has done very well for himself financially, and knows that most other players of his age have already retired by now.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he decides to call it a day at the end of the season. I certainly can't see him pulling on another teams shirt.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

This. He must have come to the realisation that this is most likely his last season at a decent level. Why uproot your young family halfway up the country or resign yourself to living in a hotel for half a year just for some extra game time that you're probably not that fussed about anyway? Player's probably over the moon that he gets paid full whack and only has to do a bit of a cameo at the end of a game. Sort of a testimonial season really.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
He's already got one foot in the door with sky sports as a presenter , if Clinton Morrison can make a living at it then Murray will have no trouble hosting the long awaited Ex footballer Love Island series .

I'm sure if he wanted to continue playing football there would be a very long line of clubs wanting his services in the lower leagues , he's got nothing to prove to anyone he's been a top professional wherever he's been , but as the question asks if i were Glen i'd probably hang up my boots and concentrate on a life with Rupert .

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
He will stay on at the Albion as a coach nailed on, as others have said he can teach the younger players so much, with his vast experience. I heard he has taken Aaron Connolly under his wing during training. It would be a shame to waste so much talent and knowledge.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Stay and retire, he's earnt a few bob and has Sky etc opportunities (although needs to polish his patter a little)

Does anybody remember Bob "The Cat" Wilson on Football Preview or whatever it was back then? On his debut he was the most wooden presenter I've even seen, but his knowledge and experience carried him through.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I reckon he might do the rest of the season at Forest then call it a day

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Does anybody remember Bob "The Cat" Wilson on Football Preview or whatever it was back then? On his debut he was the most wooden presenter I've even seen, but his knowledge and experience carried him through.

Do I remember Bob Wilson as a presenter? I remember him as a player! An ever present between the sticks when I watched Arsenal win the League & Cup double in 1970/71.

Don't worry, I cam to my senses and transferred my allegiance to the Seagulls soon afterwards.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He should do what he wants to do.

If he wants to stay, enjoy the success and play sporadically, do it. If he wants to be a key player in some Championship team for another 6 or 18 months, he should do it. He scored 13 goals in the PL last season so he would obviously be useful to more or less any Championship team.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Do I remember Bob Wilson as a presenter? I remember him as a player! An ever present between the sticks when I watched Arsenal win the League & Cup double in 1970/71.

Don't worry, I cam to my senses and transferred my allegiance to the Seagulls soon afterwards.

I'm obviously that old too, which is why I was excited at the prospect - and shocked by his performance!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here