Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Alternative Christmas

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
As good atheists we've decided on a little change to Christmas Day in our house. Traditionally any neighbours drinks / family visits , carol services etc have been a three-line whip and with two teenage boys that's always a challenge for the Chief Whip, Mrs OW.

This year we've all agreed what food we'd like on the day from Hot Dogs to Beef Stew and an assortment of snacks and have declared Christmas Day and Boxing Day as a do whatever you want (so long as morally sound and legal) and just relax .... and I have to say I'm looking forward to it immensely.

Mrs OW and I will go to a friends for Christmas drinks probably and the boys will follow if they wish but we won't then face the Christmas lunch challenge and bloody parlour games.

We've organised a family get together on the 27th when we all need to fall back in line for one afternoon but that's it .... anyone else do anything outside of what is broadly the norm?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A couple of years back we booked in at the local Indian restaurant for Christmas Day nosh.

Great afternoon, great atmosphere, great food and no clearing up.

Magnificent.

We considered this but then agreed it meant we all had to be somewhere at a specific time and eat broadly the same thing, so it went West as an idea.

I think the main part the boys heard was "You can get up when you want and go to bed when you want", everything else was a blur once they placed food orders (*only food that can be made the day before and heated up etc)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
A couple of years back we booked in at the local Indian restaurant for Christmas Day nosh.

Great afternoon, great atmosphere, great food and no clearing up.

Magnificent.

Curried Brussel Sprouts? What sacrilege! Leave the King of vegetables in peace.

……. actually I think Sprouts in a curry could be quite nice.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I sort of regard Xmas the same way I regard Ramadan, Yom Kippur, Thanksgiving etc etc. Totally respect those who fully embrace the occasion, but leaves me 95% utterly cold. Much prefer Boxing Day with its full menu of top class sport and associated gambling opportunities. Also always amusing when TUI are always first out the traps on 26th December with Families Jumping Into Summer Swimming Pools. Oh, and The Sales. Start queueing outside Next at 6.30am for some shitty shiny suit. Just keep spending money you can't afford on stuff you don't need folks, no pressure at all :rolleyes:

And... RELAX! :smokin:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
As good atheists we've decided on a little change to Christmas Day in our house. Traditionally any neighbours drinks / family visits , carol services etc have been a three-line whip and with two teenage boys that's always a challenge for the Chief Whip, Mrs OW.

This year we've all agreed what food we'd like on the day from Hot Dogs to Beef Stew and an assortment of snacks and have declared Christmas Day and Boxing Day as a do whatever you want (so long as morally sound and legal) and just relax .... and I have to say I'm looking forward to it immensely.

Mrs OW and I will go to a friends for Christmas drinks probably and the boys will follow if they wish but we won't then face the Christmas lunch challenge and bloody parlour games.

We've organised a family get together on the 27th when we all need to fall back in line for one afternoon but that's it .... anyone else do anything outside of what is broadly the norm?

Any point whatsoever to your little rebellion?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Can't stand them, but this sounds pleasant enough:

Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts Subzi with Turmeric, Cumin and Mustard Seeds. Easy Spiced Brussels Sprouts, served in a bowl with Dal and Rice.

Probably not best if on a football coach to Spuds on Boxing Day.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not sure how "alternative" it is but I always make a tradition of continuing the drinking and watching the entire first session of the Boxing Day test from Melbourne, if Australia are doing badly then sometimes the second session is also on the cards (now that is an endurance challenge).

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
We're vegans in my family so after the presents have been opened, we chop the xmas tree up, marinate it in mint sauce, sprinkle some Rosemary over it, chuck it in the oven for 2 hours. Yum Yum.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
A total break with tradition this year. My kids have decided to spend Christmas day with their other halves families. We're off to Morocco
Turkey couscous, anyone?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

Sprouts in curry are amazing, they have to be left long enough so that they absorb the sauce. But when that happens they are lovely.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Sprouts in curry are amazing, they have to be left long enough so that they absorb the sauce. But when that happens they are lovely.

Noted! I will try it.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I sort of regard Xmas the same way I regard Ramadan, Yom Kippur, Thanksgiving etc etc. Totally respect those who fully embrace the occasion, but leaves me 95% utterly cold. Much prefer Boxing Day with its full menu of top class sport and associated gambling opportunities. Also always amusing when TUI are always first out the traps on 26th December with Families Jumping Into Summer Swimming Pools. Oh, and The Sales. Start queueing outside Next at 6.30am for some shitty shiny suit. Just keep spending money you can't afford on stuff you don't need folks, no pressure at all :rolleyes:

And... RELAX! :smokin:

Are you having a NSC Flounce? Or just a Jock Strop? :smile:

Seriously, I agree with most of that, but Christmas doesn't leave me cold ... I jus' ain't bovvered 'boutit

I do like the Hindu Festivals, Holi (?) and Diwali when they go mental with powdered paint in vivid colours and crazy fireworks and lights

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I think you'll find the correct terminology is RANT :wink:

I'm with you.

So many people 'celebrate ' Christmas without the slightest bit of recognition for the birth of Jesus, who lets not forget, not only had the worst possible day to be born on for any child, the following Easter he was then back stabbed and crucified to the enjoyment of the public. He did a lot in that 4 months. Good on him.

Remember that when you're tucking into your roasted Hog. .

Last edited:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Couple of years ago we spent Christmas Day at Discovery Cove - swimming with Dolphins, snorkeling with turtles & fish, generally lazing in the sun all day, and eating as much food as we could. Awesome time had by all.
Wish every Christmas was like that....

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I'm with you.

So many people 'celebrate ' Christmas without the slightest bit of recognition for the birth of Jesus, who lets not forget, not only had the worst possible day to be born on for any child, the following Easter he was then back stabbed and crucified to the enjoyment of the public. He did a lot in that 4 months. Good on him.

Remember that when you're tucking into your roasted Hog. .

When's he coming back? I'd like to know how he did that turning water into wine trick

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
When's he coming back? I'd like to know how he did that turning water into wine trick

53977AA5-24E9-4CD0-9B4E-8E1236E90AA3.jpeg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Not everyone was quite so impressed though. As redacted from the New Testament, Judas stood up and shouted "**** off Jesus, you can put a tenner in the kitty like the rest of us!' :angry:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here