Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Villa Fringe vs Liverpool Youth

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Aston Villa: Nyland; Elmohamady, Chester, Konsa, Taylor; Lansbury, Douglas Luiz; Jota, Hourihane, Trezeguet; Kodjia. (10 changes from the weekend)

Liverpool: Kelleher; Hoever, Van den Berg, Boyes, Gallacher; Kane, Chirivella, Christie-Davies; Elliott, Longstaff, Hill. (youngest team in their history, 6 debuts)

In a League Cup Quarter-Final, both managers have totally Pottered their selections. Just one of those things, unfortunate timing what with the Club World Cup ? Or a stark indicator of the increasing malaise of a competition that seems more and more irrelevant for teams up and down the divisions, not just the PL ?

When I saw our lineup for the Villa diddle I was quite pleased I gave it a swerve, and I have to say I don't think I'd overly miss the Carabao Cup if it disappeared entirely from the schedule. Its getting to be like the Full Members Cup (Checkatrade ?) where its only really interesting if you make the semi and/or Final. Sad, as we've had some great nights down the years in this competition, but nowadays I can't muster much enthusiasm.

Maybe its time to bin it off.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I was listening to this on 5live earlier chuckling to myself about all the fans who wet the bed over the Villa game.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Liverpool must be the highest shirt number total in history.

Their fans seem to be considerable in numbers and volume, a case of supporting the club/team not individuals.

Still, money talks and the big boys are in Qatar.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I was listening to this on 5live earlier chuckling to myself about all the fans who wet the bed over the Villa game.

Had we put a full strength team out, though there's a better chance than not we'd have made the semi's

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Countless top and second flight match experience in this team, with Diver II and McGinn on the bench.

The luck of Villa on this cup run, facing two youth teams.

FE895871-B76D-442C-B195-9A98911896A7.png

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Had we put a full strength team out, though there's a better chance than not we'd have made the semi's

How do you work that out? We would have needed to beat Villa, Wolves and Liverpool to get there. Besides, has any Premier League club put a full strength team out in the Carabao Cup?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
How do you work that out? We would have needed to beat Villa, Wolves and Liverpool to get there. Besides, has any Premier League club put a full strength team out in the Carabao Cup?

Worked it out on the basis that ....

1)We're better than Villa. They were very lucky to beat us with 10 men at theirs. We'll take them at home
2)Villa beat Wolves so can't have been their strongest team
3)We're better than this Liverpool team, who I watched in Lancing 3 weeks back and are better than our youth team, but not our senior team

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
2-0 Villa

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

1)We're better than Villa. They were very lucky to beat us with 10 men at theirs. We'll take them at home
3)We're better than this Liverpool team, who I watched in Lancing 3 weeks back and are better than our youth team, but not our senior team

Laughable logic. No one plays their strongest side - not Villa, Wolves, Liverpool...

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Quite happy to go along to any first team home cup tie. I watch our U23's on club streams and it's good to see those chosen in the flesh. I probably wouldn't be as keen if I didn't watch the U23 streams so good on the clubs for showing them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If it's any consolation the Villa knobends are currently crying in their beer about choosing Wesley over Maupay.

:lolol:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
4-0. Many decades ago I wasn't overly enthusiastic about this cup. Maybe time to go. It's served its time.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Well it’s 4-0 now, Liverpool children playing very nice technical football (better than villa) but very naive in some positioning and passing, and easily muscled off ball

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Is there even any point in the Little-Known-Energy-Drink Cup? :shrug:

It's always been the poor relation to the FA Cup, and now with so much emphasis on the PL and CL the top teams put out their chimps for a kickabout just to tick a box...

Fine for the lower league clubs getting some gate money, so why not make it that the lower league clubs compete - and the winner gets an automatic place in the last 4 or 8 of the FA Cup?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Play all ties at the home ground of the smaller team I reckon. And bin the ridiculous two leg semi-finals. It could still be a pretty enjoyable competition - good chance for Premier League clubs to give fringe players and youngsters a proper match.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Play all ties at the home ground of the smaller team I reckon. And bin the ridiculous two leg semi-finals. It could still be a pretty enjoyable competition - good chance for Premier League clubs to give fringe players and youngsters a proper match.

Merge the competition with the Leasing.Com Trophy. All PL and Champonship teams enter U23 sides, but each round they progress they can add one more overage player if they want to.

el punal

A lot of iffy ifs in all of that.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It one person has mentioned WHY Liverpool have HAD to play a team like that though...?!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here