Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should we have had a penalty?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Once it was determined that Montoya was onside, it seemed likely that a penalty was going to be awarded.

[tweet]1206668070854500352[/tweet]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A Sheff Wed (MASSIVE) fan messaged me last night, to say he thought it was a definite penalty.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Yes

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
It was all very odd. I was thinking it should be a penalty and, because he made no effort to actually win the ball, should have been a red.

What also surprised me is that they have said repeatedly that VAR won't take any time out of the game. However it took a good couple of minutes for them to review that and then only added 1 on at the end of the first half.

All in all it was frustrating but a brilliant goal from them to equalise and more signs that this team are progressing superbly. Happy with how we are doing and now halfway to safety

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If he stayed on the floor clutching his leg instead of attempting a shot, I think it would have been given.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I think we should have, caught his foot.

VAR was going to stick with the decision the ref gave either way.

As they said on the commentary last night VAR was supposed to stop players looking for penalties, but if VAR isn't going to overturn any decisions players may as well keep throwing themselves to the floor when they get the slightest touch.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Player has no chance of getting the ball and impedes the attacking player. It is a foul.

This is VAR and the authorities saying that if you want a penalty, go down, scream like you've been shot, and surround the referee.

In terms of consistency, how is our penalty against Everton a pen, and this isn't? Did Montoya not jump in the air high enough?

May as well just make diving and exaggerating part of the rules if that is what honest play gets you.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There's a poll within this tweet which says 75% voted a penalty.

[tweet]1206668070854500352[/tweet]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think we should have, caught his foot.

VAR was going to stick with the decision the ref gave either way.

As they said on the commentary last night VAR was supposed to stop players looking for penalties, but if VAR isn't going to overturn any decisions players may as well keep throwing themselves to the floor when they get the slightest touch.

That's sadly the main takeaway from this. Honesty doesn't pay. Zaha got Propper booked by simply bundling into him after he'd lost the ball.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I thought it was from the away end and when I watched it back when I got home I am even more convinced. Had it been the other way around Palace would 100% have been given the penalty by the ref and VAR would not have overturned it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Players like Zaha are frequently rewarded for falling to the ground (rolling and clutching face etc)

Players like Montoya are penalised for trying to stay on their feet and play on.

Cheating is prevalent because it works

And I don't agree with the Montoya should have gone down and rolled around. I'd rather have honest players and a few less points.

But it shouldn't be a choice like this. Referees need to improve. Pawson, (who is one of the better refs) should have seen it and given it first time. It wasn't a difficult decision and it only wasn't given because Montoya carried on. To me this starts with the referees assessors and failing to give a decision because of a lack of an appeal should see the offending ref, officating at Barrow's next match in my view.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I missed the game because of a badly timed flight that left at 7.45pm and landed about 9.30pm......

Jason Cundy & Andy Goldstein were adamant it was a penalty but could not believe that no-one appealed it and think that might have been a decider in the Ref decision. However Dermot Gallagher gave some rubbish excuse about the playing already going down / being off balance and something about a marginal offside call in the build up ?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yes. The whole thing was bizarre though.

Because Montoya and no other players appealed I just assumed he must have fallen and it wasn’t a foul but then I saw the replay.

I honestly think if Montoya and the other players had appealed, the ref would have given it, it would have then gone to VAR who would then have confirmed it was a penalty.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yes, it was pretty stronewall and whilst I understand why a ref may have missed it VAR should have picked it up on the first viewing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here