Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Battle of the 'in form' goalies coming up:-

[tweet]1206879828714102784[/tweet]

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He makes the saves. He now claims crosses. He passes into midfield when being closed down at the last minute like the ultimate adrenaline junkie.

Best keeper we've ever had

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
He makes the saves. He now claims crosses. He passes into midfield when being closed down at the last minute like the ultimate adrenaline junkie.

He's certainly up there with the best of them, and he's got some stiff competition for all-time top spot. For me Graham Moseley, who also kept goal in the top flight, still edges it, but everyone will have their own favourite for a variety of reasons.

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
As well as being a top keeper, he's just extremely likable isn't he? I love it when he runs the length of the pitch to celebrate with the players.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Agree wholeheartedly, but when I read the thread title I thought it was going to be another “should he have saved that” crapfests. Fortunately not.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would this be the same Ryan who those watching games with a critical eye wanted out of the team, the last time it was sunny?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Usually the last one to leave the pitch, too, as he’s signing autographs for kids.

He is central to what we do on the pitch and represents the club perfectly off the pitch.

His commitment to learning to carry out our style of play and to constantly improving his game shines through.

What a role model

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Would this be the same Ryan who those watching games with a critical eye wanted out of the team, the last time it was sunny?

Really? Can you find a single post of someone who this season has suggested playing Button or Steele instead of him?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Ryan has no serious pressure on his place. He's not had a good 2019

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Good find that. Think that was posted after 3 or 4 games and an underwhelming start to the season and an underwhelming second half to last season.

In his first season and a half with us and the last few months, he's been magnificent.

I stand by that we're in the unusual situation of not having a senior back up keeper who could realistically come in. Anyone at the Villa Carabao cup game will have noticed just how shaky Button was with the ball at his feet. We would have to totally change our style. So not only do we not have anyone pushing Maty to even greater heights, but we've got a pretty large liability on a serious injury to Ryan.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The change in our playing style has had a lot to do with Ryan looking like a more complete goalkeeper. No more hoofing the ball upfield to where none of his team-mates would be. He is now crucial to the way we move out of defence. It was obviously always there (his ability) but hard to see when hoofball was the order of the day.

He should have stopped Zahaha's shot though [emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The change in our playing style has had a lot to do with Ryan looking like a more complete goalkeeper. No more hoofing the ball upfield to where none of his team-mates would be. He is now crucial to the way we move out of defence. It was obviously always there (his ability) but hard to see when hoofball was the order of the day.

He should have stopped Zahaha's shot though [emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I just think that last season. He was under strict orders when he had the ball. Wait till we have our shape, then hit Murray. It's a legitimate, if now old fashioned looking tactic.

Maty makes the best of every attribute he's got. He isn't as natural a footballer as some modern ball playing goalkeepers, but compensates for that by not over-elaborating. He doesn't try to take the p***, he doesn't try to chip it a foot over a striker's head. He does what he knows he can do. Ie get his head up and play a 10 yard pass. It works because there is always someone showing for him. He trusts the team to give him an option and they trust him.

More than anything, he is calm. He knows a slight miscontrol or misdirected pass and it's a certain goal, but he backs himself and what his manager has asked him to do.

It makes for thrilling viewing anyway

New Seagull

Sep 27, 2015
What’s worrying though is that he has made more saves than any other keeper.
What does this say for our defending.
Thanks god we have Matty between the sticks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here