Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings v Palace

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A magical first 70 mins. Every player lost themselves a point for the last 20 mins.

Ryan - 7 - good claim for a cross plus a couple of regulation saves.

Montoya - 8- MOM, No blame for the goal. Marauded down the right for most of the game
Burn - 6 - Confident performance on the ball. Tired towards the end
Dunk - 8 - Wonderful passing and superb decision making at the back. He should score more from set piece headers though
Webster - 7 - Improved performance. His easiest assignment for many weeks

Propper - 8 - Some wonderful moments. His influence waned towards the end
Bissouma - 7- Great to see the sort of midfield surge that nobody else offers us. Shooting was better if not truly venomous. Another one who seemed to tire
Mooy - 7- Passing, vision, difficult to knock off the ball. Buy him Tony .... just buy him.

Gross - 7- Set piece threat and continually found pockets of space. To keep his place he will need to contribute goals and assists to compensate for his lack of pace
Trossard - 6 - Loose in possession at times today, but had them sh****g it at the back when on the ball. Persevere with him. The end product will come.
Maupay - 8 - Didn't do loads. Then scored. I'll take that

Subs a little late on to mark

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Harsh on trossard. He's a special player. Maupay had a similar problem as he had against arsenal getting the ball out of his feet on occasion.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Ryan - 7

Montoya - 8
Webster - 7
Dunk - 7 (should have scored twice!)
Burn - 7

Propper - 9 - MOM - A masterclass!
Bissouma - 8
Mooy -8

Gross - 7
Maupay - 8
Trossard - 7

Wonderful performance, deserved all 3 points.

And I know it will upset a few on here, but I really hope that midfield 3 starts again on Saturday. We looked better without Stephens as I knew we would and as we did in the games he missed last season.

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
Sheffield utd will be a tough 1 they will of watched us tonight and Chris wilder will have a plan to stop us playing and can see us struggling in this 1. Scrape a 1 nil maybe but even after tonight's showing would not be surprised if we get beat

That’s the spirit.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A magical first 70 mins. Every player lost themselves a point for the last 20 mins.

Ryan - 7 - good claim for a cross plus a couple of regulation saves.

Montoya - 8- MOM, No blame for the goal. Marauded down the right for most of the game
Burn - 6 - Confident performance on the ball. Tired towards the end
Dunk - 8 - Wonderful passing and superb decision making at the back. He should score more from set piece headers though
Webster - 7 - Improved performance. His easiest assignment for many weeks

Propper - 8 - Some wonderful moments. His influence waned towards the end
Bissouma - 7- Great to see the sort of midfield surge that nobody else offers us. Shooting was better if not truly venomous. Another one who seemed to tire
Mooy - 7- Passing, vision, difficult to knock off the ball. Buy him Tony .... just buy him.

Gross - 7- Set piece threat and continually found pockets of space. To keep his place he will need to contribute goals and assists to compensate for his lack of pace
Trossard - 6 - Loose in possession at times today, but had them sh****g it at the back when on the ball. Persevere with him. The end product will come.
Maupay - 8 - Didn't do loads. Then scored. I'll take that

Subs a little late on to mark

Good ratings but harsh on Burn. Probably just behind Propper and Montoya for MOTM. Good to see Bissouma playing well too.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Ryan: 7 - Did what he needed, but no chance with the goal. Apart from that, could have pulled up a deckchair, such was their toothless attack.

Montoya: 8 - I've not been his biggest fan over time, but he was great tonight and had the freedom of Selhurst for large parts. Could have won a penalty and did all he could for their equaliser (anyone that suggests otherwise didn't see the goal, imo). I do still think he needs competition but he was great.
Dunk: 7.5 - Did what he needed to. They hate him, but we love him.
Webster: 7.5 - same as Dunk; didn't do anything wrong (cant even blame him for the goal unless I decide to have an agenda). Much more composed on the ball, but against a League 1 attack i'd expect that.
Burn: 7 - Had nothing to do defensively against a front 3 that looked comparable to Last Of The Summer Wine. Not the long-term solution but an effective outlet.

Bissouma: 8 - slotted in well in midfield - I was worried he would try his usual 'flair' but kept to his job and shut out what midfield they have.
Propper: 8.5 - MOM for me. Seemed to find space well and was disciplined and at times I almost forgot we had Stevens. Fingers crossed he continues it but he won't have many easier games to boss a midfield/
Mooy: 8 - He may have wondered if he was still playing in the championship, but he was still in good form.

Gross: 7 - Sky flashed up a stat that he was the highest creator of chances in the LEAGUE since 2017 (I think); he wasn't amazing tonight but his dead balls gave what defenders they bothered to rustle up something to think about
Maupay: 8 - The next time he will have that amount of time to think will be his own funeral, such was the generosity of the 'opposition'. Took his goal well.
Trossard: 7 - teased his way around the wing for large parts but thought he would commit to attacking their RB a bit more. Great touch and cross for the goal.

Subs: Not on enough to make a difference.

Potter: 9 - Out-thought Antiques Roadshow for 75 minutes and proved what a promising manager he is. Not often does a team like us look like the home team when playing away, but given the opposition I guess someone had better do so!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sheffield utd will be a tough 1 they will of watched us tonight and Chris wilder will have a plan to stop us playing and can see us struggling in this 1. Scrape a 1 nil maybe but even after tonight's showing would not be surprised if we get beat

Strangely enough I feel the opposite. I think we will beat them comfortably.

Maybe it's just me.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Strangely enough I feel the opposite. I think we will beat them comfortably.

Maybe it's just me.

I dont think they've lost away since April or something.

Just something to think about.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Agree with most of the player ratings here and thought Montoya in particular was excellent.

I'd have to give Potter a 7. I'm absolutely a Potter convert now and for 70 minutes of the game we were absolutely outstanding. The fact that Palace had a five minute spell of pressure didn't concern me - they had to attack at some point. However, whether it's Potter's or an individual error, not having Zaha double-marked for the goal, in THAT position where he is always so deadly for Palace, was a serious oversight. After that, I felt his use of substitutes was rather bizarre. We could have done with Murray for the last 10, considering that Palace were pressuring us and we were resorting to long clearances. We ended the game with 6 natural defenders on the pitch. In some ways it was beautifully bizarre and I like the unorthodoxy of it, in others I was shouting for a bit of conventionality!

We were excellent for most of the game though, enjoyable to watch and a point at Selhurst is not to be sneered at.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Lets hope John Fleck's suspension will be a big blow for them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agree with most of the player ratings here and thought Montoya in particular was excellent.

I'd have to give Potter a 7. I'm absolutely a Potter convert now and for 70 minutes of the game we were absolutely outstanding. The fact that Palace had a five minute spell of pressure didn't concern me - they had to attack at some point. However, whether it's Potter's or an individual error, not having Zaha double-marked for the goal, in THAT position where he is always so deadly for Palace, was a serious oversight. After that, I felt his use of substitutes was rather bizarre. We could have done with Murray for the last 10, considering that Palace were pressuring us and we were resorting to long clearances. We ended the game with 6 natural defenders on the pitch. In some ways it was beautifully bizarre and I like the unorthodoxy of it, in others I was shouting for a bit of conventionality!

We were excellent for most of the game though, enjoyable to watch and a point at Selhurst is not to be sneered at.
Now?

Tough crowd.

Not quite as tough as those handing out 6's, but hey each to their own.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Montoya is a player that frustrates me from time to time but last night he was fantastic. It was a Brunoesque style performance and if Bruno had put that performance in, we would all be purring over it. So proud of the whole team last night. The table might not show it, but we know it, they know it, Roy knows it and the greater footballing World knows it, we are streets ahead of Palace. Potter is a genius. By far the best Brighton team of all time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I dont think they've lost away since April or something.

Just something to think about.

That's my worry Sheffield utd yet to lose away this season although not played your liverpool city's away yet they will be tough to break down that's for sure

All set up for their first defeat....and a heavy one, now where’s the fingers crossed emoji

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
A word on Potter. Got his team selection bang on but why wait so long to make a substitution? You could see we were getting leggy.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
A word on Potter. Got his team selection bang on but why wait so long to make a substitution? You could see we were getting leggy.

The threat was Benteke in the air - Webster couldn't handle him, Duffy did, but should have been on 15-20 mins earlier - although it did seem a bit strange bringing him on for a centre-mid [Bissouma] - in Potter we trust ...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Far be it for me to repeat myself but I just don't understand what fans want from this team.

Surely you're able to look at what we had.
Look at what we've got (with predominantly the same players)

Then think 'feck me this is fantastic'.

Why the need for a critical eye?

Certainly not now (as someone else wrote last night) not 6 months into a 6 year project.

The team are setting incredibly high standards for themselves, each other and us and are managing to match or even surpass those each game.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here