Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Yellow cards for spitting

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
OK, so my young lad scored a really nice goal for his team this weekend, probably the best he has ever scored. How did he mark the moment? He summoned up the biggest amount of spittle he could find and launched it at the ground.

There was no physiological need to do so. This was learned behaviour …. And not learned from me.

It got me thinking, every close up of a player after a missed chance or something, involved them hocking up a load of gob and firing it. Is this necessary? Is there any genuine reason or advantage for doing this? Is this now acceptable?

I’m calling for spitting to be booking in professional football. Yeh yeh, games would be 6 aside, blah blah. But isn’t it time to restore some standards of hygiene and decency? Isn’t it time for long suffering parents not to constantly having to make excuses for their kids role models? Isn’t it time football to take some wider responsibility as a societal force for good?

I'll let you know how I get on

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
OK, so my young lad scored a really nice goal for his team this weekend, probably the best he has ever scored. How did he mark the moment? He summoned up the biggest amount of spittle he could find and launched it at the ground.

There was no physiological need to do so. This was learned behaviour …. And not learned from me.

It got me thinking, every close up of a player after a missed chance or something, involved them hocking up a load of gob and firing it. Is this necessary? Is there any genuine reason or advantage for doing this? Is this now acceptable?

I’m calling for spitting to be booking in professional football. Yeh yeh, games would be 6 aside, blah blah. But isn’t it time to restore some standards of hygiene and decency? Isn’t it time for long suffering parents not to constantly having to make excuses for their kids role models? Isn’t it time football to take some wider responsibility as a societal force for good?

Actually I agree with you - but sadly I don't think you'll 'get on' very well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The exercise stresses and motion typically causes excess saliva, so it needs to be expectorated - happens to me a lot when I run. When running outside in cooler temperatures, your nose must warm and humidify the air you breathe before it reaches your lungs. This action produces mucus in your nose and throat, and the mucus acts as a humidifier to condition the air before it reaches your lungs. The buildup of saliva and mucus will cause you to spit more often.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I would like to hear from ground staff at football clubs,

Often, as players trudge off for a half-time cuppa they empty their nasal cavities on the pitch. When they get those little digger thingies that replace divots, do these become all stodged up with phlegm?

Also, those knee slides must be nice if you suddenly plough through a ball of snot.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
When did spitting from players come into the game ? Going back 30-40year it did not happen professionally or in amateur football.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The exercise stresses and motion typically causes excess saliva, so it needs to be expectorated - happens to me a lot when I run. When running outside in cooler temperatures, your nose must warm and humidify the air you breathe before it reaches your lungs. This action produces mucus in your nose and throat, and the mucus acts as a humidifier to condition the air before it reaches your lungs. The buildup of saliva and mucus will cause you to spit more often.

This. Ridiculous thread IMO.

Launching a campaign because your kid caused you a moment of discomfort with seemingly no understanding of the way people's bodies work during exercise.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

I played loads of football and maybe there can be a build up but I never did this.

I’ve always been more of a swallower than a spitter I suppose.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I played football for 25 years and not once did I have to spit.

You actually see managers do it constantly which is horrible.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I played football for 25 years and not once did I have to spit.

You actually see managers do it constantly which is horrible.

I agree 50% of the time when the camera goes to a manager they spit. All this "you have to spit when you are running around" is rubbish you don't see many tennis players or squash players spitting, or football referees come that

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I agree 50% of the time when the camera goes to a manager they spit. All this "you have to spit when you are running around" is rubbish you don't see many tennis players or squash players spitting, or football referees come that

And why wouldn't a player from another sport do it? The condemnation which would come their way.

In football, we just accept it. Maybe we should stop just accepting it.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I played probably over a thousand games in my lifetime. Never felt the need to spit ever.

Now I play 6 a side most weeks on astroturf and the amount of times players spit is shocking. I'm forever saying 'rub it in FFS'.

Only once ever did an opposition player spit in my face and that was an away game in Crawley. I actually punched him because that is unacceptable and the ref saw everything. All he said was (to him) "you deserved that" and we played on.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/why-do-i-produce-so-much-saliva-when-i-go-for-a-run/

"The various studies that have looked at this actually show conflicting results. It seems that a short jog in cold weather results in more saliva, while a marathon on a warm day actually reduces saliva production. Your body may initially be trying to offset the drying effect of the extra mouth breathing, but over longer periods dehydration sets in and your body reduces saliva production to conserve water.

All exercise, regardless of the intensity, also makes you secrete more of a protein called MUC5B. This makes your saliva more sticky and viscous, which contributes to that dry mouth feeling you can get after exercising"

This goes so way to explaining why footballers spit but tennis players do not. I do agree though that some players seem to do it to excess.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/why-do-i-produce-so-much-saliva-when-i-go-for-a-run/

The various studies that have looked at this actually show conflicting results. It seems that a short jog in cold weather results in more saliva, while a marathon on a warm day actually reduces saliva production. Your body may initially be trying to offset the drying effect of the extra mouth breathing, but over longer periods dehydration sets in and your body reduces saliva production to conserve water.

All exercise, regardless of the intensity, also makes you secrete more of a protein called MUC5B. This makes your saliva more sticky and viscous, which contributes to that dry mouth feeling you can get after exercising

This goes so way to explaining why footballers spit but tennis players do not. I do agree though that some players seem to do it to excess.

Tends to be my experience - definitely worse in cold weather. I think it's also a bit habit-forming (hence managers doing it I guess).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here