Date: Monday 16th December 2019
Kick-off: 19:45 GMT
Referee: Craig Pawson
Assistants: Ian Hussin, Richard West
Fourth official: Peter Bankes
VAR: Martin Atkinson
Assistant VAR: Lee Betts

TEAM NEWS

Crystal Palace are without injured full-backs Jeffrey Schlupp, Patrick van Aanholt and Joel Ward.

Central defender Mamadou Sakho is suspended, with Jairo Riedewald expected to start in the Premier League for the first time since February 2018.

Brighton midfielder Dale Stephens serves a one-match ban for accumulating five yellow cards.

Aaron Connolly's fitness is being monitored but Solly March and Jose Izquierdo remain out.

RADIO 5 LIVE COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Alistair Bruce-Ball: Palace/Brighton, Eagles/Seagulls, Venables/Mullery - it's one of the quirkier derbies in English football but the rivalry is keenly felt.

I've seen a fair bit of these two teams recently and they've been impressive. I watched Brighton deservedly win at Arsenal and then follow that up with a 2-2 draw at home to Wolves.

I also saw Palace manager Roy Hodgson organise a counter-attacking masterclass to beat Bournemouth after Mamadou Sakho was sent off early in that game. Despite injuries to all of his key defenders at various stages this season, Hodgson's side still have one of the best defensive records in the league.

Brighton, looking for a third successive win against their great rivals, will have more of the ball but that doesn't guarantee you anything.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson, speaking ahead of his 100th game in charge of the club: "We've performed to the level we can be expected to perform to and sometimes a little bit higher.

"I'm very happy to be celebrating 100 games with the club - that is a good record these days, but I hope to go beyond 100 games too."

Graham Potter: "I've been told how big this game is for the fans - pretty much every day. I'm sure it will be a lively game under the lights, and on television.

"It's an atmosphere we'll relish, and the players know what it means to the supporters.

"Crystal Palace are well-organised, Roy Hodgson is an experienced coach who talks a lot of sense. They have a good points tally and a good clarity of what they're trying to do."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Crystal Palace have won only one of the eight top-flight meetings (D2, L5).
    [*=left]Brighton completed the league double over Palace last season for the first time since 1983-84.
    [*=left]The Seagulls haven't won three in a row in this fixture since December 1983.
    [*=left]There have been 15 goals scored in the past four meetings in all competitions.

Crystal Palace

• [*=left]Crystal Palace have kept three consecutive league clean sheets, one short of their top-flight record.
    [*=left]They have lost each of their last three league games played on a Monday.
    [*=left]Palace have kept six league clean sheets, a tally only surpassed by Leicester prior to the latest round of fixtures.
    [*=left]A league-low 13 goals have been scored at Selhurst Park.
    [*=left]The Eagles have 10 more points than at the same stage last season.
    [*=left]If selected, Andros Townsend will be making his 200th Premier League appearance.

Albion

• [*=left]Brighton have won only one of their last five Premier League matches (D1, L3).
    [*=left]Albion's win at Arsenal in their last away fixture ended a six-game winless run on the road (D1, L5).
    [*=left]They have won just seven of their 46 away fixtures since promotion to the Premier League (D10, L29).
    [*=left]The Seagulls have kept only two clean sheets in eight away league fixtures under Graham Potter.
    [*=left]A league-high 10 of Brighton's 16 league fixtures have been level at half-time - a record they share with Palace.
    [*=left]Neal Maupay has scored six league goals this season, three times more than any other Brighton player.
    [*=left]Ex-Palace forward Glenn Murray has scored in his last four fixtures against the Eagles in all competitions.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Those of you unfortunately enough to be going I have a small request.

Can one of you post a picture of the new stand.
Permission was granted exactly 12 months ago and I'm curious as to how they're getting on with the build while keeping the ground open.

Ta muchly.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
More nervous about this than I have been about any of the recent "big ones". Last season they were the only side our style suited. This season they are one of the few our style struggles with. Leicester lite with Mr Tumble in the penalty winning Vardy role. I would love it if we battered them but we're going to have to be very careful when we lose the ball.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not too confident, I might watch this one from behind the sofa with hands at the ready to watch through my fingers. I think our style is tailor made for Hodgson.

However, if our strikers are on their game it could be a thriller, I don’t see us keeping a clean sheet.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
A tough challenge, but we are playing well at the moment and have been getting some reward for our efforts.
Can M. Maupay, Trossard and possibly Connolly keep their scoring boots on?
Will Alzate keep his place against Mr Tumble? Or will we see a reshuffle?

Anyway, it’s 3 points we want ... Come on the boys in stripes, or black or green or whatever....
:albion2:

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Someone has been up to their old tricks and produced a beauty of a song.

[tweet]1206469739696001025[/tweet]

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Years gone by I would of been buzzing for this, in London by lunchtime on the beers all afternoon. Despite no major trouble for years the bedwetting by both clubs & the OB has destroyed this fixture.TV for me tonight.

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
Win for the bad guys I think :tantrum::tantrum:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So, so excited

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Another 1-2 for us I think. Just don't, under any circumstances, play The Greyhound.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not too confident, I might watch this one from behind the sofa with hands at the ready to watch through my fingers. I think our style is tailor made for Hodgson.

However, if our strikers are on their game it could be a thriller, I don’t see us keeping a clean sheet.

Ha ha! Mark me down as another watching from behind the sofa :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here