Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] ***The Official Mince Pie Thread***

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Right let’s get serious.
I had two from Waitrose the other night and they cost £1-50 for 4.
They were very nice indeed.

I’ve just had 2 from Aldi which come in at only just 56p for 4.
Not as good. Pastry a little too doughy.

Thoughts please on your pies.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
M&S not so good this year. Too soft pastry, crumbles/sticky when trying to get out the foil case. Aldi and Lidl usually win the blind taste out of all the supermarkets. All come out the same factories so it’s down to the individual recipes and buyer price points anyhow.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
M&S not so good this year. Too soft pastry, crumbles/sticky when trying to get out the foil case. Aldi and Lidl usually win the blind taste out of all the supermarkets. All come out the same factories so it’s down to the individual recipes and buyer price points anyhow.

Waitrose wins this week for me PS but I’m going back in for extensive research this coming two weeks.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Turners mince pies. Bit more expensive but great with some brandy butter and a home baked taste.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Waitrose wins this week for me PS but I’m going back in for extensive research this coming two weeks.

I’m glad someone else takes their mince pies seriously. It’s an annual survey in our household. Will report back with further findings...:smile:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
There was a Christmas Fair on South Farm Road - organised by The Brooksteed - a couple of weeks ago. Among the items for sale were some mince pies infused with amaretto. They were very nice and you just had to make a contribution to the charity (Worthing soup kitchen). We paid about £1.50 for 3 items, but only one was a mince pie. Unfortunately I only found out how good they were when we got home.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Right let’s get serious.
I had two from Waitrose the other night and they cost £1-50 for 4.
They were very nice indeed.

I’ve just had 2 from Aldi which come in at only just 56p for 4.
Not as good. Pastry a little too doughy.

Thoughts please on your pies.

2 years ago, my Mrs bought 6 mince pies from some wanky Artisan Baker for a TENNER. My frustration caused me to buy 7 additional sets of mince pies and then run a blind mince pie tasting session with the family on boxing day after I hid the artisan ones

The best pie in the taste test? Greggs.

The Artisan ones finished 2nd.

Waitrose finished 7th, only above the cheap shit ones from the local One stop. Sainsbury underperformed as well. If memory serves, the Morrissons ones finished 3rd and were pretty good.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
2 years ago, my Mrs bought 6 mince pies from some wanky Artisan Baker for a TENNER. My frustration caused me to buy 7 additional sets of mince pies and then run a blind mince pie tasting session with the family on boxing day after I hid the artisan ones

The best pie in the taste test? Greggs.

The Artisan ones finished 2nd.

Waitrose finished 7th, only above the cheap shit ones from the local One stop. Sainsbury underperformed as well. If memory serves, the Morrissons ones finished 3rd and were pretty good.

We are getting Morrisons ones tomorrow. 👍

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Waitrose plum, honey and ginger mince pies are amazing .

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 19.17.59.png

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Bettys up here in Yorkshire do some amazing but pretty pricey Mince Pies.

Bettys do amazing cakes so doesn’t surprise me. So many factors involved with a mince pie. Too rich can be as bad as too frugal but the very worst I’ve ever had was a wholemeal (wtf?!) without a lid (‘Dear MP, today I was served....’) Dry, tasteless and frankly unfinished. If that’s your idea of Christmas then I can only guess that Cromwell sits at the head of your table too. Revolting.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We are getting Morrisons ones tomorrow.

Can confirm that Morrison's standard Mince Pies are pretty good this year, £1 for 6 ….fill yer boots.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
When I used to work up in town we had a mince pie club. Every night someone brought in mince pies, starting around the beginning of December, got to try some really nice variations, particularly the homemade ones.

The downside - by Christmas Day I was sick of the sight of them!!!

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Bettys do amazing cakes so doesn’t surprise me. So many factors involved with a mince pie. Too rich can be as bad as too frugal but the very worst I’ve ever had was a wholemeal (wtf?!) without a lid (‘Dear MP, today I was served....’) Dry, tasteless and frankly unfinished. If that’s your idea of Christmas then I can only guess that Cromwell sits at the head of your table too. Revolting.

The pastry was rich and buttery but they were mini so okay and the filling was gorgeous.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
used to love a mince pie at yule, but gone off them. too many seem to try too hard, end up with over rich or too fruity filling, or pastry that is too soft or plain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here