Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] What’s the best way to heal the North/South divide?

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Interesting that Boris was straight back up North yesterday to thank those voters that helped put him into power on Thursday.

Despite my antipathy to Boris (and Brexit) I take my hat off to him for a politically astute move which I hope gets translated into real action.

My suggestion for a way to help create a less divided nation would be to relocate Parliament to the Midlands/North. Ideal opportunity as the current Parliament is in need of major and very expensive works.

Bet it would be a lot cheaper to build a brand new state of the art Parliament away from London.

Can’t think of a better way to make a convincing statement of intent and absolutely guarantee that badly needed resources and infrastructure are redeployed away from the stranglehold of London and the South East.

Any other ideas out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So I assume this "plan" includes demolishing the current Houses of Parliament ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Are you being facetious? BJ went to rub Labours noses in it. Not to thank anyone. Honestly, I don’t know where to begin - how gullible can you be? He’s a proven serial liar. Why are so many taken in by his ‘personality’

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are you being facetious? BJ went to rub Labours noses in it. Not to thank anyone. Honestly, I don’t know where to begin - how gullible can you be? He’s a proven serial liar. Why are so many taken in by his ‘personality

Probably because he actually has one in a sea of liars and charlatans lacking in any charisma or gravitas

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Let those in the north suffer the consequences of their stupidity. It is the only way.

Let's go all biblical with the reap what you shall sow etc etc.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
A large wall and ditch somewhere around the Midlands.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Let those in the north suffer the consequences of their stupidity. It is the only way.

Let's go all biblical with the reap what you shall sow etc etc.

Thanks for your contribution Emily Thornberry. Surprised to find you on here, I always assumed you were an arsenal fan.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Send them some Greggs vouchers?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Interesting that Boris was straight back up North yesterday to thank those voters that helped put him into power on Thursday.

Despite my antipathy to Boris (and Brexit) I take my hat off to him for a politically astute move which I hope gets translated into real action.

My suggestion for a way to help create a less divided nation would be to relocate Parliament to the Midlands/North. Ideal opportunity as the current Parliament is in need of major and very expensive works.

Bet it would be a lot cheaper to build a brand new state of the art Parliament away from London.

Can’t think of a better way to make a convincing statement of intent and absolutely guarantee that badly needed resources and infrastructure are redeployed away from the stranglehold of London and the South East.

Any other ideas out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there is some mileage in this idea. London will attract investment without the presence of Parliament.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Make all public schools play Rugby League.
Make the duty paid on Regal cigarettes less than all other tobacco products.
Make all pubs serve chips with gravy.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
There is no North-South divide any more.

It's a media/university/public sector brand of "wokeness" (for want of a better word) versus the rest of us.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Probably because he actually has one in a sea of liars and charlatans lacking in any charisma or gravitas

Surely you're not that naive? He's a calculating 'bumbling' construct underneath which lies a ruthless, elitist, odious narcissist. As much as I despise the Tories, it would be unfair to single out Johnson, as many who make it to the top share similar characteristics, although they're exceptionally transparent and unpalatable in his particular case.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

It's a media/university/public sector brand of "wokeness" (for want of a better word) versus the rest of us.

The divide is between Have's and Have Not's rather than geographical. Wastelands and areas of deprivation and poverty exist almost everywhere, a contributor here has been working up North recently near Burnley and he does not paint a pretty picture of life there. If Johnson were to go to Blackpool and take a road off the promenade he will soon see what he is up against. Few decent jobs, limited prospects, lack of hope and a reliance on limited benefits just to " exist"

We are a divided society and Johnson is powerless to change that, even if he wanted to.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I'd have far more disposable income if I moved up north.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here