Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester City v Brighton WSL - on BBC red button now

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Can't see a thread but losing 2-0 after 24 minutes.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Not looking good. Albion a bit under the cosh first half, 3-0 now, could have been more.

Shame there is such a gap between the top 3-4 clubs and the rest. We have had some good spells but they are just very good.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Shame there is such a gap between the top 3-4 clubs and the rest. We have had some good spells but they are just very good.

Sorry the other way round we are very poor.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Sorry the other way round we are very poor.

You are aware they have 5 of the Lionesses? They have scored 19 and conceded 3 before today. There is a reason we were 18-1 before kick off.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You are aware they have 5 of the Lionesses? They have scored 19 and conceded 3 before today. There is a reason we were 18-1 before kick off.

Yes and the fact internationally we aren't that good suggests Brighton are poor.

I tried watching again but I'll see better defending on a local park this morning. The overall standard is not good.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Might be 18-1 at the final whistle also if this keeps up :lol:

I missed the first 20 minutes but when I turned it on, we had quite a bit of possession in their box. Think that was our 5 minutes in the game. Not sure what we have to do to get better as there is still a very big gap to the top teams.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I missed the first 20 minutes but when I turned it on, we had quite a bit of possession in their box. Think that was our 5 minutes in the game. Not sure what we have to do to get better as there is still a very big gap to the top teams.

Think it's probably a longer term thing. Get kids involved earlier, scout them better, coach them better, pay them better. Make it into a real career choice.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I wonder how long Hope is going to have to achieve Mr Blooms goal of being a top four side? Personally, I feel the womens game has come on so much in the last few years, that it's left her obsolete. She was a fantastic coach twenty years ago but has she moved with the times?
I know nothing, I'm just an observer so could be very wrong

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Not sure it will ever get better.

With all good intentions apart the women's game is not the spectacle the men's game is and will never be. I'm all for encouraging the game to be played by all but that doesn't mean it will become anything more than a participation sport. The encouragement given to people to attend is nothing more than a vanity project.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Think it's probably a longer term thing. Get kids involved earlier, scout them better, coach them better, pay them better. Make it into a real career choice.

Why pay them more? They need to "earn" their careers.

I can't declare I'm a professional golfer because I hack my way round a course and expect a wage for it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why pay them more? They need to "earn" their careers.

Appeal to the greed of the parents? Bit of hothousing earlydoors might work wonders. How many girl toddlers are encouraged to play with a football from the time they can, er, toddle? Judging by the pitifully low level of skill on display by both sides today, I'd suggest practically none.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
'Brighton just getting a bit tired now'. Jeez! We're on 55 minutes, they've been on the pitch for 10. I don't believe that that they're getting tired now is the case in the least. In this instance, it's the quality of the commentary that is pub league level. Make. It. Stop.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am starting to feel guilty that I have ZERO interest in women’s football (or rugby and boxing) at any level. It’s here to stay but I cannot get excited about watching it... and I have tried, but not any more.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I am starting to feel guilty that I have ZERO interest in women’s football (or rugby and boxing) at any level. It’s here to stay but I cannot get excited about watching it... and I have tried, but not any more.

This. Just doesn't fully ENGAGE on just about any level. Our bad.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not sure it will ever get better.

With all good intentions apart the women's game is not the spectacle the men's game is and will never be. I'm all for encouraging the game to be played by all but that doesn't mean it will become anything more than a participation sport. The encouragement given to people to attend is nothing more than a vanity project.

I sort of agree and disagree at the same time.

I think female handball (a popular sport in some parts of Europe) is a great example of how it could work perfectly fine. Its an intense sport with a lot of action and in many countries the attendence for women are on the same level as for men. In Norway and Denmark people even regularly say "handball and Men's handball".

Football is generally a pretty "slow" sport: the pitch is huge, it takes some time to go from one side of the pitch to the other, the goals are clearly not designed for female keepers and close to every female player is going to have hard time strength wise to kick a ball 50 meters hard and accurate enough. The physical differences between men and women simply make the play slower and very few prefer to watch that when there is a more intense alternative.

If its really gonna kick off you have to swallow some pride and adapt it a bit to women. Yea sure a lot would initially complain about making the pitch a bit smaller etc but after a few years more or less everyone would say "ok this is actually quite nice to watch and to be fair, quite nice to participate in as well".

Edit: If someone for whatever reason wants to understand the handball comparison.

This is a video of the best plays from the latest female championship:

Now here's a random best plays clip from male handball:

If you, against the odds, watch these videos and then compare a top 10 goals from a football tournament for men and one for women, you can probably see why football is really poorly adapted to women. Most times watching women coop with this giant green field you need to restrain yourself from screaming "run you little b*tch". This wouldnt be the case if the sport was more intense.

And thats the end of todays essay.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here