Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Shane Macgowan - still alive

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
NSC RTE Late late show last night ran a Shane Macgowan special. Absolutely fantastic tribute to the great man.

Warning there is some fantastic music, but if you are tuning in just for Fairytale of New York, yes they play it right at the end, but Macgowan and Philomena Begg, then completely screw it up.

You need to download the RTE Player to be able to watch this. However the show is easy to find and no issues streaming for me. The show is about 90 minutes long with the entre second half dedicated to Macgowan.:drink:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Sorry to read of his serious illness… He was the antithesis of a band singer … He looked bad , did not really have a voice but there was was something about The Pogues that I really liked.. I hope he recovers.
One of the best concerts I ever went to - at the Top Rank in the mid 80s. So energetic.

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
Saw them a cople of weeks before they split. He was in a mess at the time. Then it seems like he recoverd and was on the right track again. New teeths, I love this!

”The new teeth have, however, already expanded his diet. The dentist added: “There was a moving moment when someone gave Shane an apple to eat … something he hadn’t done in 20 years.”

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...-macgowan-a-wreck-reborn-new-teeth-tv-special

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
A charismatic talent that tbh, nobody should really aspire too given his health issues. I remember The Pogues performing on the same bill with The Libertines at Hyde Park some years back. Two bands with lead singers that made me wonder, how TF are these two still alive? Hopefully Shane pulls through. An Irish icon. Even if he was born in Tunbridge Wells!

I watched an excellent bio pic of him a couple of years back, simply entitled 'Shane.' Well worth a watch.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Legend that he is, Shane has been living on borrowed time for many years. His partner is also a complete chancer and it seems there is always a drama leading up to Christmas, to see if she can squeeze a few more royalties out of Fairytale of New York.

By the way I don't begrudge him any of it and will be gutted when he does finally pop his clogs. Many happy memories of seeing the Pogues live and his later work with the Popes is I think very underated.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don’t think he has ever seen himself as an addict. Just a Hell raiser with a glint in his eye. Thus he never sought the help he so desperately needed.

I think it’d take a bit more than his wife’s suggestion of meditation videos and some green food.

However, I imagine he’s more enjoyable to watch onstage than he is to live with.

Sadly, I should think the damage he has done to himself is irreversible.

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
I don’t think he has ever seen himself as an addict. Just a Hell raiser with a glint in his eye. Thus he never sought the help he so desperately needed.

I think it’d take a bit more than his wife’s suggestion of meditation videos and some green food.

However, I imagine he’s more enjoyable to watch onstage than he is to live with.

Sadly, I should think the damage he has done to himself is irreversible.
I've seen one or two of his performances with The Pogues that weren't too enjoyable. Joe Strummer took over from him for a while .

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Legend that he is, Shane has been living on borrowed time for many years. His partner is also a complete chancer and it seems there is always a drama leading up to Christmas, to see if she can squeeze a few more royalties out of Fairytale of New York.

By the way I don't begrudge him any of it and will be gutted when he does finally pop his clogs. Many happy memories of seeing the Pogues live and his later work with the Popes is I think very underated.
Wouldnt have thought it needed any squeezing. Its on in every shop you go in from the first week of November!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here