Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 20 years ago tonight....

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We lost 4-3 at home to Rochdale at a flooded Withdean.

We’ve come a long way baby !!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I missed that. I was in Israel that week (and encountered a taxi driver who'd heard of the Albion because of Moshe Gariani and Jacob Cohen)

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
probably the only game that I wished I'd left early :(

Charlie Muggins

May 21, 2018
I remember that game!! Rained so hard that my trainers turned blue from the dye running out of my jeans....didn't we equalise late on to make it 3-3 only for (I think) Clive Platt to score the winner in the last minute? Had to walk back to Churchill square soaked to the skin after.....

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
10mins to go .....
they, "xxxx this, let's go for a pint"
me, "BLAH BLAH BLAH"
they, "xxxx you, we are going for a pint"
me, "xxxx you"

3-2 up

...............what could possibly go wrong?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Absolutely soaked through.

Did the ponchos (available in a stylish blue or white) arrive on the South Stand seats immediately after that game?

Happy days. :smile:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We lost 4-3 at home to Rochdale at a flooded Withdean.

We’ve come a long way baby !!!!

I was there. Did they not score the winner quite late (I left bang on 85 minutes, obviously)?

Edit: yes, I see my memory isn't as unreliable as I thought.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was there. Did they not score the winner quite late (I left bang on 85 minutes, obviously)?

Edit: yes, I see my memory isn't as unreliable as I thought.

I believe so, absolutely gutting it was too. I was in the covered North Stand and still got an absolute soaking so I cannot comprehend how wet those in the South Stand got.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Remember that night. Yoof fans will simply not believe that the drainage was so bad during the first season especially that a sinkhole appeared as a frustrated Micky Adams and Alan Cork appealed to improve the surface which was affecting out style of play.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I remember the night clearly, absolutely soaked by the end of it. My mobile phone never worked again. 2 down to pull it back to 2-2 at half time, Cullip scored seconds after coming on as a first half sub, ran the length of the pitch celebrating with his shirt above his head. 3-2 up with mins to go and then let in two very late goals. One of the worse nights at Withdean without a doubt, and I say that as someone with a soft spot for Rochdale as its where I was born.

Hard to believe it's 20 years ago. A few months after that we signed a young lad called Bobby Zamora, wonder what happened to him.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
God, that was an awful night, sat in the South Stand next to a chap with his two boys who were aged about 10 and 11, they left at half time, dripping wet, unable to take any more. Lot of anger around at the final whistle I recall

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here