Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stuck in a corridor with a group of 90's footballers

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
You should never meet your idols, well apart from George Parris (look he played for us that equals some respect), it was more a case of meeting other peoples’ idols.

I was late, it was the city of London and I was a guest of the organiser of a sporting lunch hosted by sporting legends, I found the place but a bit too late, the introductions were being made and the players entered into the dining area from the same corridor collectively wedged in.

It was a real eye opener, mainly because how many I couldn’t recognise…I got Alvin Martin, George (obvs), Ossie Ardilles, Rob Lee, Tony Cascarino (" Graham Potter says hi!) straight off but the rest was like “oh yeah him”, but boy don’t these old footballers change a lot? Perry Groves, David Hillier (I had to google to remind me), Steve Sedgely, Paul Stewart, Perry Groves, Graham Roberts, Mark Ward was a bit strange, Kerry Dixon was as late as me and shook my hand stating how good it was to see me again, which was surreal.

So, any bizarre sightings of footballers from our youth that caused a double take?

Also isn't the word legend over used these days :)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You should never meet your idols, well apart from George Parris (look he played for us that equals some respect), it was more a case of meeting other peoples’ idols.

I was late, it was the city of London and I was a guest of the organiser of a sporting lunch hosted by sporting legends, I found the place but a bit too late, the introductions were being made and the players entered into the dining area from the same corridor collectively wedged in.

It was a real eye opener, mainly because how many I couldn’t recognise…I got Alvin Martin, George (obvs), Ossie Ardilles, Rob Lee, Tony Cascarino (" Graham Potter says hi!) straight off but the rest was like “oh yeah him”, but boy don’t these old footballers change a lot? Perry Groves, David Hillier (I had to google to remind me), Steve Sedgely, Paul Stewart, Perry Groves, Graham Roberts, Mark Ward was a bit strange, Kerry Dixon was as late as me and shook my hand stating how good it was to see me again, which was surreal.

So, any bizarre sightings of footballers from our youth that caused a double take?

Alright explaining the methodology but.........:needpics:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Played a charity football tournament a few weeks ago where Paul Walsh, Razor Ruddock, Mark Wright and Don Hutchison turned up to mingle.

Walsh and Wright were very engaging the other two were total plums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

I did do a double-take strangely enough in Bristol! It was Dion Dublin, some years, ago but you could not mistake him, he was wearing a navy suede jacket!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Sounds like it was a talk shite who’s who. Apart from Jim White who obviously has a good relationship with Barber the rest can’t seem to stand us for some reason.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I recently met Sky reporter Peter SMith enjoying a chicken stroganoff in Lyme. A very affable chap, asked him his thoughts on the Albion and he was very complimentary about the job Hughton did and our abaility as a small club to punch above our weight.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Sounds like it was a talk shite who’s who. Apart from Jim White who obviously has a good relationship with Barber the rest can’t seem to stand us for some reason.

Good job Brazil wasn't there or they would actually have been stuck in the corridor.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

There are a few parallels with a situation I had a few years ago whilst working at Goodwood.
I had to be in bright and early for a breakfast barbecue, for a large group of golfers playing the 'Paul Jones Invitational' or some such.

I hadn't realised but aforementioned Paul Jones was the ex Southampton and Wales goalie, and all the golfers were ex pros. I arrived at work and saw Ray Clemence pottering around when the penny dropped, it was like the panini albums of my youth come to life, eating bacon sandwiches.

Jamie Redknapp was particularly friendly, as was dodgy Graham Rix. The only Brighton player I think was Jimmy Case, but I believe he won the tournament.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Literally in your case.... :D

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Played a charity football tournament a few weeks ago where Paul Walsh, Razor Ruddock, Mark Wright and Don Hutchison turned up to mingle.

Quite often see Paul Walsh having a coffee in Nero's in Whiteley. Always takes the time to talk when people speak to him.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
In the 1970s at university Mick Lyons and his crew of friends turned up to a party in our flats as his sister was there. Bunch of tossers ( tho Babz was great) who not only looked down on students but wanted to steal their alcohol as well. They were also big units who were looking for a fight. The semi final win over Wednesday and Lyons was so pleasing.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

My son played for a local league team a few months ago against an Ireland legends team - included Ronnie Whelan, Ray Houghton, Kevin Sheedy, Stephen Hunt and Mark Kinsella.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
When I was around 14 in the mid 70s I was in the waiting room at Newhaven ferry terminal one evening waiting to get on the ferry to Dieppe. There was a man restocking the vending machine. After a double take I realised it was none other than former Albion goalkeeper Brian Powney. I discovered years later he was the owner of a vending machine company which he also apparently ran while still a player.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
In the mid 80s, about ten years after my Brian Powney encounter I was on a night out with a couple of friends. As we were walking along the seafront near the Escape Club a total stranger came up behind us wielding a scaffolding plank and smashed it down onto the head of one of the friends I was with before running off, leaving him lying unconscious on the pavement with blood pouring from his fractured skull. I frantically ran to try and find a phone to call an ambulance. As I ran in my panic I nearly bumped into Graham Moseley who was himself out on the town with his female companion and another couple. Noticing my distress he asked me if everything was ok. It was a strange encounter as there was a split second where my thought process was conflicted by on the one hand being totally possessed by the possible life or death seriousness of the situation which was suddenly but briefly interrupted by the thought, "oh look, it's Graham Moseley".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I saw Diego Forlán shopping and larking about in a big store in Cheadle Hulme in the early noughties. I did a double take because despite his wiki entry showing he is married with several kids, he and the bloke he was with seemed to . . . .well I thought it was rather touching, but, anyway....:shrug:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I was hosting an evening cricket function during the Ashes in Brisbane with Jeff Thomson and Bumble as our guests. Thommo brought along a couple of his mates who had clearly been on the sauce all day, it was Messrs Mick Harford and Paul Jewell.
Jewell was a very polite gate crasher, but Harford certainly got full value from his 'opportunity' of the free bar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here