Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If not the M23 Derby, what?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Personally I don't really get the whole derby bit and, of latter years, I haven't gone to it. Far from cheeky banter and rivalry I've found it an ill tempered, ugly walk around the lesser attractive parts of Croydon en-route to and from the "luxury" of Selhurst Station.

I can't really give it a name, a problem encountered by Sky until someone gave birth to the M23 Derby.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
At the very least, if it needs a name at all, the A23 Derby is better. At least that starts in Brighton and passes quite close to their ground, neither of which apply to the M23

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If anything should be A23 derby, M23 stops at Pease Pottage...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Odd that its called the M23 derby by Sky, I believe the M23 starts/ends 25 miles from Brighton. I'm not sure of the distance from Selhurst.
Do Sky call Southampton v Bournemouth the M27 derby or the New Forest derby?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Personally I don't really get the whole derby bit and, of latter years, I haven't gone to it. Far from cheeky banter and rivalry I've found it an ill tempered, ugly walk around the lesser attractive parts of Croydon en-route to and from the "luxury" of Selhurst Station.

I can't really give it a name, a problem encountered by Sky until someone gave birth to the M23 Derby.

I'm surprised no one has jumped on the advertising wagon, to sponsor the new 'M23 smart motorway derby'

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Odd that its called the M23 derby by Sky, I believe the M23 starts/ends 25 miles from Brighton. I'm not sure of the distance from Selhurst.
Do Sky call Southampton v Bournemouth the M27 derby or the New Forest derby?

The M23 stops just above the M25, just south of Hooley, so quite a distance 13 miles or so?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The birds rivalry derby.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I used to look forward to these games more than any games in a season. Maybe it’s my age but I don’t enjoy going back to the 70’s which going to Selhurst certainly is. Too many numpties from both clubs posturing and being macho dicks. I know it’s always been like that but it’s that that’s driven me away. My last visit was the 5-0, one of the worst days following the Albion in the many years I’ve done it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I used to look forward to these games more than any games in a season. Maybe it’s my age but I don’t enjoy going back to the 70’s which going to Selhurst certainly is. Too many numpties from both clubs posturing and being macho dicks.

Ditto. Haven't been to Selhurst for years, and have little intention of going back.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Pantomime Derby started by two managers who hated each other before either were with palace or Brighton. Just an excuse for the boot boys in the 70s for a good ol fashion tear up.... carried on today but know one under 45 really cares TBH

SAC

May 21, 2014
I used to look forward to these games more than any games in a season. Maybe it’s my age but I don’t enjoy going back to the 70’s which going to Selhurst certainly is. Too many numpties from both clubs posturing and being macho dicks.

Take away the police and it would probably go off without an incident. Watch the videos posted and lots of people could get at rival fans if they really wanted to and are quite happy to be held back. Who can blame them really, who wants to go to work with a broken nose the next day?

If rival fans want to meet up they can do so away from the ground quite easily, but chose not to.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I used to look forward to these games more than any games in a season. Maybe it’s my age but I don’t enjoy going back to the 70’s which going to Selhurst certainly is. Too many numpties from both clubs posturing and being macho dicks. I know it’s always been like that but it’s that that’s driven me away. My last visit was the 5-0, one of the worst days following the Albion in the many years I’ve done it.

I'm exactly same (down to the last game attended there - did you go the week before to the Wimbledon game? That was peculiar). First trip to watch Brighton at shitehole park would have been late 70s. Albeit I think my first actual visit was for a Palarse-Leeds game in around 76, in the yorkshire end. My bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here