Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Championship Bubble waiting to burst?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not news....

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Have to say whilst the subject was depressing new for EFL clubs Radio 5 was a joy without GE/Brexit bollox, I even learnt there where many different types of eating disorders!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Have to say whilst the subject was depressing new for EFL clubs Radio 5 was a joy without GE/Brexit bollox, I even learnt there where many different types of eating disorders!

I agree, other than Rachel Burden bursting into tears. Chloe Tilley cutting off callers who started talking politics was a highlight. I did not hear the chief DULLARD either - would have thought he would have been all over this story. Has he been sacked?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
And there was me thinking FFP was brought in to prevent clubs overspending. Oh well.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Given our losses it might be worth pointing out to the Championship clubs that getting to the PL doesn't mean hitting some sort of financial jackpot that solves all your financial problems and clears all your cumulative losses. Ok it can do, but not if you promptly spend all the new-found dosh on PL transfer fees and wages, which are MUCH higher than Championship fees and wages. The income goes up massively, but if the costs also go up massively then you're where you were before.

SAC

May 21, 2014
And there was me thinking FFP was brought in to prevent clubs overspending. Oh well.

It would have. The initial introduction of FFP stopped clubs going tits up, clubs had to keep to the limits but then went and voted to massively increase the limits (and their debts).

£5 million per club was probably manageable by most but rich owners wanted to right to gamble the future of a club on getting into the PL by increasing that limit to £13 million. Even this isn't enough for some clubs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fabulous division if you’ve got a half decent squad and it’s not your money disappearing down the drain every time you fail to get promoted

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Given our losses it might be worth pointing out to the Championship clubs that getting to the PL doesn't mean hitting some sort of financial jackpot that solves all your financial problems and clears all your cumulative losses. Ok it can do, but not if you promptly spend all the new-found dosh on PL transfer fees and wages, which are MUCH higher than Championship fees and wages. The income goes up massively, but if the costs also go up massively then you're where you were before.

True, but it’s the value of the club rather than its financial performance which makes owners take chances.

Profitability doesn’t really come into it. Equity tends to be valued on growth rather than the bottom line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
True, but it’s the value of the club rather than its financial performance which makes owners take chances.

Profitability doesn’t really come into it. Equity tends to be valued on growth rather than the bottom line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, valid point. I forget that not all owners are fans like TB, some just see it as an asset to exploit and then sell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here