Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] RIP David Bellamy

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
He's not remembered as a scientist. He's remembered as a brilliant botanist.

So isn't botany science then?

He is certainly well regarded by his students from his time as a lecturer at Durham. I wasn't one, but I know a couple of people who were.

They also fondly recall his end of term drinks parties at which the alcohol flowed "freely".

This was at a time (1980s) when he was fronting a local alcohol moderation campaign in the northeast in which the catchphrase was: "Two or three pints of beer, two or three times a week - why spoil a good thing?"

Those who attended his events preferred to adopt a Bellamy voice and go: "Two or three bottles of gin, two or three times a day - why spoil a good thing?"*

RIP David

*I'm not suggesting in any way that Bellamy drank a lot - I have absolutely no idea on that score - just that he was 'generous of spirit' with others...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Took him into the jungle in Borneo about 20 years ago. He regaled us with anecdotes for hours, mainly about sex and booze. Highly entertaining man

OK, regarding my * note above, maybe I was wrong to absolve him...?

larus

Problem is he made the statements based on subsequently proven falsified data when all the evidence points the other way.

Very badly castigated for it which is why he has been off the television for years.

RIP David Bellamy. Brilliant presenter.

For someone who was supportive of nature and conservation, I find it hard to believe great he was blinkered to globull warming. Maybe, just maybe, there’s a large number of scientists who disprove, but the agenda of many (and all research funding available) is in support of the ‘science’.

Those who disagree with the consensus are castigated and lose their income - as per Bellamy,

A great man and not afraid to stick by his principles. Too many (like Micheal Mann - aka the Hockey Stick Fraud) are happy to go for the funding.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
He definitely helped a lot of people engage with the natural world, even if his statements became slightly more eccentric and controversial in his later years.

The last time I saw him on TV his was furious about wind turbines, which if I remember accurately he accused of making no valuable contribution to energy production, and cutting birds in half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here