Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Now Here he is, in the undergwroth.
RIP, wonderful man.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
RIP and have an ENORMOUS time in the afterlife. I love nature because of this man. A memorable voice of my childhood.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
His passion shone through and inspired others.

You can't say that about too many people

It's been a bad few days

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don't wish to denigrate a much loved telly presenter, but as a thinker and scientist......never pontificate with faux authority outside your area of expertise:

Bellamy was a patron of the British Homeopathic Association.

(WTAF? ???)

In his foreword to the 1989 book The Greenhouse Effect, Bellamy wrote:

The profligate demands of humankind are causing far reaching changes to the atmosphere of planet Earth, of this there is no doubt. Earth's temperature is showing an upward swing, the so-called greenhouse effect, now a subject of international concern. The greenhouse effect may melt the glaciers and ice caps of the world causing the sea to rise and flood many of our great cities and much of our best farmland.

Bellamy's later statements on global warming indicate that he subsequently changed his views completely. A letter he published on 16 April 2005 in New Scientist asserted that a large percentage (555 of 625) of the glaciers being observed by the World Glacier Monitoring Service were advancing, not retreating.

OK, mate.

And the ultimate accolade?

Former footballer Stan Collymore called him a “childhood icon”, adding: “Learnt about botany and shrubs and trees as a kid because of this man’s love and infectious enthusiasm. Rest in peace, David.” - actually I agree with that. And I like Collymore, too.

Funny old world :mad:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Scientists often change their minds when new data emerges. Nothing odd about that.

And sad news about Dr Bellamy. His shows and Lenny Henry’s impressions of him were always worth watching.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Don't wish to denigrate a much loved telly presenter, but as a thinker and scientist......never pontificate with faux authority outside your area of expertise:

Bellamy was a patron of the British Homeopathic Association.

(WTAF? ???)

In his foreword to the 1989 book The Greenhouse Effect, Bellamy wrote:

The profligate demands of humankind are causing far reaching changes to the atmosphere of planet Earth, of this there is no doubt. Earth's temperature is showing an upward swing, the so-called greenhouse effect, now a subject of international concern. The greenhouse effect may melt the glaciers and ice caps of the world causing the sea to rise and flood many of our great cities and much of our best farmland.

Bellamy's later statements on global warming indicate that he subsequently changed his views completely. A letter he published on 16 April 2005 in New Scientist asserted that a large percentage (555 of 625) of the glaciers being observed by the World Glacier Monitoring Service were advancing, not retreating.

OK, mate.

And the ultimate accolade?

Former footballer Stan Collymore called him a “childhood icon”, adding: “Learnt about botany and shrubs and trees as a kid because of this man’s love and infectious enthusiasm. Rest in peace, David.” - actually I agree with that. And I like Collymore, too.

Funny old world :mad:

He's not remembered as a scientist. He's remembered as a brilliant botanist who made nature interesting.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Scientists often change their minds when new data emerges. Nothing odd about that.

And sad news about Dr Bellamy. His shows and Lenny Henry’s impressions of him were always worth watching.

Problem is he made the statements based on subsequently proven falsified data when all the evidence points the other way.

Very badly castigated for it which is why he has been off the television for years.

RIP David Bellamy. Brilliant presenter.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here