Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Social media and voting - you could be ARRESTED

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Possibly one for the "Did you know ?" thread, but being as most of us will be mincing along to the polling station tomorrow, and it would end up buried on there, I thought I'd share this with the class as it was certainly news to me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50381748

"What about telling your followers how you voted?
Yes you can - but only about your vote and not anyone else's, so you are advised not to update your account inside the polling station. The punishment for revealing how another person voted - even accidentally - is up to £5,000, or six months in prison".

Blimey.

Not that I was planning on taking pics, or any of that kind of general BUFFOONERY at the polling station. But I didn't realise that if I casually mentioned on FB or Twitter how the missus voted, then by the letter of the law, I could be banged up.

I like that you're allowed to be drunk or under the influence of narcotics and still vote though. Nice touch, that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Possibly one for the "Did you know ?" thread, but being as most of us will be mincing along to the polling station tomorrow, and it would end up buried on there, I thought I'd share this with the class as it was certainly news to me.

Yes you can - but only about your vote and not anyone else's, so you are advised not to update your account inside the polling station. The punishment for revealing how another person voted - even accidentally - is up to £5,000, or six months in prison".

Blimey.

Not that I was planning on taking pics, or any of that kind of general BUFFOONERY at the polling station. But I didn't realise that if I casually mentioned on FB or Twitter how the missus voted, then by the letter of the law, I could be banged up.

I like that you're allowed to be drunk or under the influence of narcotics and still vote though. Nice touch, that.

She might have lied to you anyway [emoji23][emoji23]

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Vote Gay Boy Roy.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I found that one out in the 2005 general election - we'd had a lunch meeting with a client at work and ended up drinking all afternoon with them in the pub. I fell off the train home and staggered into the polling station at 2130 time and was worried they'd tell me to get lost, but I gave my details and they gave me a ballot paper and I voted.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I found that one out in the 2005 general election - we'd had a lunch meeting with a client at work and ended up drinking all afternoon with them in the pub. I fell off the train home and staggered into the polling station at 2130 time and was worried they'd tell me to get lost, but I gave my details and they gave me a ballot paper and I voted.

I might try this drunken voting malarky tomorrow then. I won't have a chance in the morning, but there's a window of opportunity to exploit if I go down the pub and watch some Europa League gubbins for a few hours.

The trouble is, I'll probably wake up and will have completely forgotten who I voted for. Spoiled ballot paper via blown chunks would be the most likely though, I should think.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ballot papers are anonymous so how could they ever know with proof?

That was a great episode of gossipmongers.
Vote now, Roy is up against Spaceworm in the gossip final.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Blimey.

It’s a secret ballot. The law is there to protect that secrecy and in particular to protect voters from intimidation.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Vote now, Roy is up against Spaceworm in the gossip final.

There is no way I can vote AGAINST space worm. That is THE best on there. And I've listened to them all. The one where "slack jaw Jim" I think blew up his dead pet dog is my second favourite, and BP someone who blew himself up at a garage with a deflated rugby ball.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Are they?

You enter the polling station, hand over your polling card, and they record your details against a numbered list.

But the paper you put in the box does not hold those details.

The one you hand in will have them so they know you're registered to give you the blank one.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
But the paper you put in the box does not hold those details.

The one you hand in will have them so they know you're registered to give you the blank one.

But it’s not blank, it’s also numbered. They actually write the number of your voting slip down. They even confirm it between themselves before you’re handed it.

Watch it tomorrow.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Ballot papers are anonymous so how could they ever know with proof?

That was a great episode of gossipmongers.

Pretty sure that ballot papers have a mark on them which traces them to the voter (your number is given to the distributor when it is ruled over). Of course, it is illegal to do so- except in the case of fraud investigation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here