Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] West Grinstead New Town

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I wonder how you would feel, if a few thousand houses like that, (3,500 in the case of this proposed new development at West Grinstead), however lovely they may be, were built on green belt land, very close to where you live?

Yes l know, the population is rising, l know people need to live somewhere, but as others have said, it's the logistics that the developers seem to convenienly ignore. Where are people going to work? where are the kids going to go to school? where will they shop? where are the nearest available doctor's surgeries?, what are the transport links like?

Building the houses is just the easy bit.

It really is not that difficult. Whilst building houses, you also build shops, industrial units, community use buildings, petrol stations, schools, hospitals and the like. It really is not difficult to plan. But the cost of the infrastructure funding is another issue entirely.....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have NO sympathy. You can EASILY use public transport. There are buses running regularly through Sussex directly linking all the towns without any need to change or wait. These run every 15 minutes and run 24/7. Plus of course there is a station in West Grinstead so you can get a direct train up from Shoreham. If all else fails you can obviously cycle as you can do that EASILY. We certainly don't need any more or better roads as ALL roads do is encourage MORE cars.

Sorry about the text, but they don't let me have a proper computer in here.

Thats ok - the comic sans is quite apt in this instance, because if you think I'm doing a 40 mile a day round-trip from Portslade to HH on a bike or a bus each day, you've got another thing coming. And I refuse to throw myself upon the miserable overpriced buffoonery of SASTA for my commute all the while I am running a car.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That's exactly right. I've said before it's not 'Homes Alone' we need, but the infrastructure as you've listed (and I'm glad you included railways). There HAS to be an integrated approach, but of course there won't be all the while development is driven by private developers solely interested in profit.

There is something about planning that brings out the utter Stalinist in me. We need a centrally controlled system, and once an area has been selected for expansion, infrastructure as well, then all objectors (nimbys and faux environmentalists), need to be shot and buried under the foundations.

At last, a sensible, well thought out planning policy :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here