Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] West Grinstead New Town

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The roads in the South East are awful, and that's because people object to road widenings and bypasses. I'm still amazed the Brighton bypass got built.
What road widening or bypass schemes have been planned for the A272 or A24 that people have objected to? When I asked WSCC last year about plans to improve the A24 north of Worthing they told me there were none

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Okay so you like personal examples.

My oldest son currently lives at home. He bought a car last year, as he got a placement job in Horsham and public transport was impractical. Next year he hopes to go back to working in Horsham.

a) If he buys a house in West Grinstead New Town, how many extra cars will be on the road?
b) If he doesn't buy a house in West Grinstead, how many fewer cars will be on the road?
c) if no houses are built in West Grinstead, how much better will the traffic be than it is now?

A similar scenario to the young couple I mentioned earlier. They married a couple of years ago, but were living with his parents in Crawley whilst saving up. Now they have their new home in Southwater, but still using the same car.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What road widening or bypass schemes have been planned for the A272 or A24 that people have objected to? When I asked WSCC last year about plans to improve the A24 north of Worthing they told me there were none

I said the South East of England. Beddingham to Polegate for example, and plans for road widening/bypass around Worthing.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I said the South East of England. Beddingham to Polegate for example, and plans for road widening/bypass around Worthing.

Those are both national responsibility and run (badly) by highways England. I went to a consultation in Worthing last year about the roads around Worthing and the only objections people there seemed to have was that they weren't actually doing anything and spending £60million to do it. My point was that there are no schemes to object to around West Grinstead because WSCC is taking the transport part of the community infrastructure levy and not spending it on transport infrastructure.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

My oldest son currently lives at home. He bought a car last year, as he got a placement job in Horsham and public transport was impractical. Next year he hopes to go back to working in Horsham.

a) If he buys a house in West Grinstead New Town, how many extra cars will be on the road?
b) If he doesn't buy a house in West Grinstead, how many fewer cars will be on the road?
c) if no houses are built in West Grinstead, how much better will the traffic be than it is now?

If he does buy a house in West Grinstead he will not be using public transport to get to Horsham, the services are woeful.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Seeing as there is a massive amount of new housing being built in Broadbridge Heath, Southwater and the Old Novartis site in Central Horsham I would suggest he gets one of these and then doesn't need to use a car. Hope this helps?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If he does buy a house in West Grinstead he will not be using public transport to get to Horsham, the services are woeful.

There are at least two parties promising a thumping great increase in public transport provision. It might not always be like it is :)

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
There are at least two parties promising a thumping great increase in public transport provision. It might not always be like it is :)

I will believe that when I see it, new developments promise all sorts of infrastructure before they start but rarely deliver.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Looks like a pretty good place to build some houses, good road links and not too far from the train station. Buck barn really isn't that bad, getting out of Dyke road at 8am is much worse.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Looks like a pretty good place to build some houses, good road links and not too far from the train station. Buck barn really isn't that bad, getting out of Dyke road at 8am is much worse.

Not too far from the Train Station, you are having a laugh, it is 6 miles away!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pretty saddening, and very correct, to assume X thousands of new housing equates to X thousands of new cars.

Not even a hint, thought or mention of public transportation in any of the proposals.

I'll hazard a guess cycling in all the West Sussex new build estates is brilliantly catered for.
They'll be shared pavements, and sectioned off roads.

Right up until you leave Stepford where, as usual, it becomes 'kill or be killed-survial of the fittest'.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
If Corbyn gets in, we'll need to build, build, build. No problem, we can cope. We would be racist Little Englanders not too.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've very much enjoyed the PLETHORA of roadworks and temporary traffic lights spaffed all over the vicinity of Haywards Heath on the A272 these last few weeks. From Butlers Green, to the roundabout near Cuckfield, to the ones at the top of the hill by Ansty, and as a delicious bonus, the ones blocking the "escape routes", the A2112 by Wivelsfield and the B2036 towards BH by that little double-roundabout. Oh that one was a doozy.

There were days last month where there was quite literally no avoiding at least one tailback, whatever route you took into the "Heart of West Sussex". What an absolute CACKFEST getting to work and back has been lately.

I have NO sympathy. You can EASILY use public transport. There are buses running regularly through Sussex directly linking all the towns without any need to change or wait. These run every 15 minutes and run 24/7. Plus of course there is a station in West Grinstead so you can get a direct train up from Shoreham. If all else fails you can obviously cycle as you can do that EASILY. We certainly don't need any more or better roads as ALL roads do is encourage MORE cars.

Sorry about the text, but they don't let me have a proper computer in here.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I've very much enjoyed the PLETHORA of roadworks and temporary traffic lights spaffed all over the vicinity of Haywards Heath on the A272 these last few weeks. From Butlers Green, to the roundabout near Cuckfield, to the ones at the top of the hill by Ansty, and as a delicious bonus, the ones blocking the "escape routes", the A2112 by Wivelsfield and the B2036 towards BH by that little double-roundabout. Oh that one was a doozy.

There were days last month where there was quite literally no avoiding at least one tailback, whatever route you took into the "Heart of West Sussex". What an absolute CACKFEST getting to work and back has been lately.
The best roadworks have been the co-ordinated ones when the road west from Lyons farm is shut at night.

The geniuses divert you south straight into another 3-way roadwork queuing festival a short way down the road.

The absolute Einsteins who are in charge of planning have made sure that these 2 sets of roadworks have happened together.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Absolutely, every resident that l know in my village would die for a bypass, (well not literally), but despite years of lobbying the Council, we still don't have one.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
New housing isn't a problem per se. It's the failure to build the infrastructure needed to support it (roads, railways, schools, hospitals, GPs, dentists etc. etc.) that causes the problems. And nobody is interested in building them because they can't make any money from them.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
New housing isn't a problem per se. It's the failure to build the infrastructure needed to support it (roads, railways, schools, hospitals, GPs, dentists etc. etc.) that causes the problems. And nobody is interested in building them because they can't make any money from them.

That's exactly right. I've said before it's not 'Homes Alone' we need, but the infrastructure as you've listed (and I'm glad you included railways). There HAS to be an integrated approach, but of course there won't be all the while development is driven by private developers solely interested in profit.

There is something about planning that brings out the utter Stalinist in me. We need a centrally controlled system, and once an area has been selected for expansion, infrastructure as well, then all objectors (nimbys and faux environmentalists), need to be shot and buried under the foundations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here