Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] What time do you have your Christmas dinner?

What time do you sit down for Christmas/WInter dinner?

• 11am-12pm

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • 12pm-1pm

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • 1pm-2pm

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • 2pm-3pm

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • 3pm-4pm

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • 4pm-5pm

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Bit of a debate last night in the pub, about what time you sit down for your Christmas dinner? Some people have it remarkably late, surely that isn't normal? Us crodo's are usually tucking into our starters by 12:30 and then the main course is 1pm prompt.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
How late is "remarkably late"? We're normally somewhere between 2 and 3.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Usually 5 or 6 in the evening due to my wife having to work most of the day. Gives me time to go for a lunchtime drink.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I'm sure I rmember when I was a kid, my nan getting up about 3am to get the veggies on and dished up for 3pm... The difference is now we put the veggies on about 14:45 and dish up for 3pm

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
How late is "remarkably late"? We're normally somewhere between 2 and 3.

Any time after 3pm is remarkably late, we always like to be done and dusted and washed up for 3pm so we can enjoy HRH The Queens Christmas message to the Commonwealth.

:bowdown:

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Usually about 1pm, if I'm hosting/doing it. But this year my brothers hosting and he always waits till after the queens speech, not happy about that but it's his gig so have to go with it.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
More to the point, dinner is in the evening, whereas lunch is at lunchtime. So is it a Christmas lunch or a Christmas dinner?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I'm having Winter dinner on December 21. That is the shortest daylight day of the year. We start eating at 11:00 a.m. and don't finish eating till around 6:00 p.m.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Always have lunch after the queens speech at around 3.30.

Always the same lunch, organic turkey stuffed with Italian roasted chestnuts with all the usual veg and roast spuds. Classic Xmas pudding usually from m and s and a class of chilled champagne.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Only if trying to be “posh”.

Dinner can be at any time of the day - it’s simply the main meal of the day.

Not strictly true. I accept there are regional variations especially some places up north where calling meals teatime seemed to cover for anything from 5-10.

However , dinner is meant to be usually between 6.30 - 9. Supper is usually at around 10.30 which was when people came back from the theatre or opera. Lunch is between 12-2. Tea is between 4-5 and is tea and maybe a slice of cake etc it’s not a big meal .

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Spending the day volunteering at the local church hall giving the homeless at free Christmas lunch, so this year me and the family will have ours in the evening probably about 7pm.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Not strictly true. I accept there are regional variations especially some places up north where calling meals teatime seemed to cover for anything from 5-10.

However , dinner is meant to be usually between 6.30 - 9. Supper is usually at around 10.30 which was when people came back from the theatre or opera. Lunch is between 12-2. Tea is between 4-5 and is tea and maybe a slice of cake etc it’s not a big meal .

Look up definition in the dictionary ;)

Growing up, dinner was always around 1’ish - the evening meal was tea. School dinners were never in the evening.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

Growing up, dinner was always around 1’ish - the evening meal was tea. School dinners were never in the evening.

1pm is lunchtime ! I think the differences are both regional north versus south and also traditionally a class difference as well.

From wiki

In many modern usages, the term dinner refers to the evening meal, which is now typically the largest meal of the day in Western cultures. When this meaning is used, the preceding meals are usually referred to as breakfast, lunch and perhaps a tea.[1][11] Supper is now often an alternative term for dinner; originally this was always a later secondary evening meal, after an early dinner.

The divide between different meanings of "dinner" is not cut-and-dried based on either geography or socioeconomic class. However, the use of the term dinner for the midday meal is strongest among working-class people, especially in the English Midlands, North of England and the central belt of Scotland..

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Even schools have "Dinner" ladies serving lunch, as opposed to Lunch Ladies!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here