Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jim Smith - The bald eagle RIP

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Sad sad day - Such a fantastic bloke and architect of a great Derby team in my formative years. Taken by that b*****d of a disease that I've mentioned elsewhere. Shite day.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
RIP The Bald Eagle, one of the enduring characters of football management for 30-odd years.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I always remember at the end of the 1992 season, Portsmouth played at Hastings in a testimonial. Barring Darren Anderton, who was predictably injured, Jim Smith brought the entire Portsmouth 1st team squad along who'd lost in the FA Cup semi final replay at Villa Park on penalties to Liverpool a few weeks before, including Guy Butters and Warren Aspinall. There were no airs and graces and everyone, including him, signed autographs for everyone who wanted one. A top guy. RIP.

(I've still got the programme and the match finished Sussex 5-2 Hampshire)

pompey (2).jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I always remember at the end of the 1992 season, Portsmouth played at Hastings in a testimonial. Barring Darren Anderton, who was predictably injured, Jim Smith brought the entire Portsmouth 1st team squad along who'd lost in the FA Cup semi final replay at Villa Park on penalties to Liverpool a few weeks before, including Guy Butters and Warren Aspinall. There were no airs and graces and everyone, including him, signed autographs for everyone who wanted one. A top guy. RIP.

(I've still got the programme and the match finished Sussex 5-2 Hampshire)

View attachment 118068

I was there at that match.
I used to play football with Steve Willard and Terry White, both had very good left feet :thumbsup:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
over a decade later i still have the Harry and Jim chant in my head sung by the pompey fans from the brighton portsmouth games.... back in the early mid 2000s

RIP

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I was fortunate enough to meet Jim Smith a few times. He always seemed a thoroughly decent man - sad news. RIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here