Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] What year did Brighton become a city?

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Was it 2000 or 2001?

I'm doing a quiz tonight about Sussex and Brighton, and want to put this in, but even on Wiki it says 2000 in one place and 2001 in another.

I don't want it to be ambiguous, so what is the definite answer please chaps?

I always thought it was 2000 as part of the millennium bestowments?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
18 Dec 2000 12:00 AM
Three new cities for the Millennium were announced today by the Home Office on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen.

In a Parliamentary Written Answer, Home Office Minister Mike O''Brien announced that, on the advice of the Prime Minister, Her Majesty The Queen has granted city status to Brighton & Hove, Inverness and Wolverhampton to commemorate the Millennium.

Responding to a Parliamentary Question from Maria Eagle, MP for Liverpool, Garston, Mr O''Brien said:

''I am pleased to announce that, on the advice of my Rt Hon Friend the Prime Minister, Her Majesty The Queen has commanded that city status should be granted to Brighton & Hove, Inverness and Wolverhampton to mark the Millennium.

https://www.wired-gov.net/wg/wg-new...1104ddcd7b4745ba802572ab004b39bb?OpenDocument

Announced in 2000 for sure, whether there was an actual ceremony in 2001 is a different question.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Cheers guys. Two different answers already. It's ambiguous, so I'll accept either tonight!

Pickles

May 5, 2014

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
3rd February 2001
City status made official

Brighton and Hove will be confirmed a city next week when official documents signed by the Queen are handed over.

Brighton and Hove Council executives will collect the official documents, called letters patent, from the Home Office in London.

They are expected to be presented to the council by Lord Lieutenant of East Sussex Phyllida StewartRoberts on February 15.

The council is then keen to put the document, which is hand-engraved and bears the Queen's official wax seal, on public display in Hove or Brighton town hall.

The letters patent were dated at the Crown Office in London on January 31 under the Queen's warrant.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/5153938.city-status-made-official/

So announced in Dec 2000 - Made official Jan 31 2001 - Docs handed over 15 Feb 2001.

Depends on which of those you consider to be when it actually happened?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So announced in Dec 2000 - Made official Jan 31 2001 - Docs handed over 15 Feb 2001.

Depends on which of those you consider to be when it actually happened?
So just word the question so that one of those answers fits.

eg, when did B&H receive the letters patent to confirm city status or some such (I'm sure you can come up with something better than that).

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Cheers guys. I'll accept either then and use On 18 December 2000, Wolverhampton, along with Brighton and Hove and Inverness, won the right to call themselves cities, and just over a month later received their official letters patent. as an explanation.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Where is the quiz Pickles? At least I'll get one correct.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
After Tony Bloom was granted honorary freemen of Brighton, a little known fact, was that Paul Barber was also given freedom status, for his endeavours in saving the rare Sussex breed of bottle caps from extinction!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I have never liked our double barrelled city name.

Lewes City or City of Lewes is far more sophisticated.

Who ever says that they come from the City of Brighton & Hove?

Not me. But then I have never actually lived in either Brighton or Hove.

Or Brighton and Hove.

Or City of Brighton and Hove.

Or Lewes.

Or Lewes City.

Or City of Lewes.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Who ever says that they come from the City of Brighton & Hove?

Actually - I do. I have taken to using the full unofficial title, "The Independent People's Republic of Brighton and Hove". Although, that doesn't mention we're a City. I have used the expression, "The City of Brighton and Hove" when explaining that neither Brighton nor Hove, Actually is a City. Combined, we are. I find the people of the North have a particular difficulty in understanding the concept.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Actually - I do. I have taken to using the full unofficial title, "The Independent People's Republic of Brighton and Hove". Although, that doesn't mention we're a City. I have used the expression, "The City of Brighton and Hove" when explaining that neither Brighton nor Hove, Actually is a City. Combined, we are. I find the people of the North have a particular difficulty in understanding the concept.

I normally tell people that I come from Hove near Worthing to avoid gay jokes aimed at me. But seriously if you have to explain how our city name works, there is something wrong with it.

Lewes with along with the castle is far more relevant and deserving historically to this area and it is the county town of East Sussex so becoming a city would be a more natural progression. The City of Lewes is easier to say, write, and doesn't need an explanation.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I normally tell people that I come from Hove near Worthing to avoid gay jokes aimed at me. But seriously if you have to explain how our city name works, there is something wrong with it.

Lewes with along with the castle is far more relevant and deserving historically to this area and it is the county town of East Sussex so becoming a city would be a more natural progression. The City of Lewes is easier to say, write, and doesn't need an explanation.

Lewes isn't even close to being deserving of being a City for me. It's only known for being over the top on fireworks night and being how you get from Brighton to Tunbridge Wells. Anything else?

... and paying the men and women's football teams the same, fair play to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here