Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Guardian Football Weekly Podcast

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Lack of celebration !!!!!!!!!!!

What do they want a manager dancing around and throwing themselves into the stand.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
“Never seen such an unanimated manager as GP...” (obviously never watched us for the 4 seasons with CH then). “Brighton are a funny club...” (never watched Palace then)

Max Rushden I’ve heard of, but he’s hardly Mark Lawrenson is he? The other nobody presenters wouldn’t even make it to an ITV4 celebrity quiz. As usual, they’re media only capable of discussing London or NW PL clubs. What they know about the other 80 clubs can be written on a stamp. I tried listening to Guardian Football podcast years ago. It’s still awful seemingly.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It's my favourite footie pod.....Max Rushden is an excellent host. The team of pundits is normally headed by Barry Glendinning, who is curmudgeonly, but entertaining. The quality can sometimes vary depending on the make-up of the rest of the team, but I tend to enjoy the understated wit of the likes of John Brewin, Jonathon Wilson, Elis James....there's a long list. They've won the Football Supporters Federation podcast of the year award loads of times.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Usually prefer The Football Ramble as it is far funnier but with the same level of knowledge, and less self importance. However, they have now expanded to more shows and have one run weekly by Jules Breach and Andy Brassell.

Jules is an Albion fan so often talks about us, however their "banter" is forced and pretty rubbish compared to the Ramble boys, who now seem to never mention Albion at all due to Jules covering it. Real shame.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The new Stoke? In what way? (I haven't listened to it so would appreciate a quick summary if you don't mind :) )

Listened earlier today - the lady that said it was put right a little bit by a couple of others on the podcast, including one who praised Tony Bloom and said he felt TB was pretty ambitious with the Albion as a project.

I think she was suggesting we would just sit around 14th, not good enough to trouble the top 6-8 but not bad enough to be relegated.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The new Stoke? In what way? (I haven't listened to it so would appreciate a quick summary if you don't mind :) )

The female pundit said she thought we were going to be the new Stoke for a few seasons. Presumably she thinks we (still) stick ten men behind the ball and play boring football.

As I commented, women pundits, eh?.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The female pundit said she thought we were going to be the new Stoke for a few seasons. Presumably she thinks we (still) stick ten men behind the ball and play boring football.

As I commented, women pundits, eh?.

What do you make of Nicky Bandini...?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
What Potter needs are a few sacrificial ballboys he can hug at least 4 times a match, this on the Xg/bb chart would suggest other teams have to score 5 to beat us thus making us very popular with South Korea and MOTD.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Still flying under the radar after all this time.

tenor.gif

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It really was peak Guardian when Nicky was revealed on the show at the beginning of this season.

Big fan of her brother.

That's a really interesting question. I keep asking myself if I took more note or interest when Paulo. The content is the same. The only difference is the presentation and her transition.

As an occasional listener, but regular reader of the Guardian's sport pages, I'd completely missed this. Good luck to her

I think it was an immensely brave move for such an established sports journalist within a mostly "blokey" arena to go public and make this move. I'd listened to Paulo for years on the pod, so to reveal that he was turning transgender must've taken immense courage to come out amongst the listenership, readership, work colleagues and peers.

I must admit, it still sounds very weird to hear the one-or-two-octaves-higher Nicky now to the one I was used to for so long on the pod. But fair play to her, she's taken the steps to own it, and has cracked on with her profession seamlessly. That must be very encouraging for anyone else in that line of work, and others, to see that it can be done.

Oh, here's a link to the article revealing the transition https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/16/im-nicky-bandini-and-im-still-a-sports-writer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here