Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Assuming Steven Alzate speaks Spanish...

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
... and seeing as he is now playing right-back, when did we last take the field for a league game with a non-Spanish speaker in that position?

From memory, since 2009 we've had only Iñigo Calderón, Gonzalo Jara Reyes(loan), Bruno Saltor, Martin Montoya and Steven Alzate.

A decade? Surely not!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
... and seeing as he is now playing right-back, when did we last take the field for a league game with a non-Spanish speaker in that position?

From memory, since 2009 we've had only Iñigo Calderón, Gonzalo Jara Reyes(loan), Bruno Saltor, Martin Montoya and Steven Alzate.

A decade? Surely not!
Being Argentinian/Italian, I guess Schelotto can probably get by in Spanish too. Webster finished the Arsenal match at RB didn't he?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think the answer is Webster from earlier this season (apologies to him if he can speak Spanish). I think our back four was Webster Duffy dunk burn. Off to check now

Edit. Yes, Burnley at home. March might have played lb but either way Webster was on right.

But good spot on our Spanish speaking right backs

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hmm. How embarrassing. That's the thing about memories...

It's still an interesting stat, quite how high the number of Spanish-speaking RBs we've had.

Also feels symbolic that (as far as I remember,) Inigo - a right back - really was the first of a pretty big influx of Spanish-speaking players from 2010 to now.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I think the answer is Webster from earlier this season (apologies to him if he can speak Spanish). I think our back four was Webster Duffy dunk burn. Off to check now

Edit. Yes, Burnley at home. March might have played lb but either way Webster was on right.

But good spot on our Spanish speaking right backs

I've sent Webster a post with a Spanish phrase guide that has some he could use with phrases such as

Pásame la bola de mierda

and

¿Qué quieres decir con que no debería haberme solapado con ese puntaje?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here