Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bruno's role as coach

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Saw a snippet from The Athletic on Twitter. Seems to be saying Potter leaves a lot of the coaching to his staff. I don't subscribe so may have got this wrong. Can anyone share the gist of the article?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I don't think the article says Potter leaves a lot of the coaching to his staff. It quotes Potter as saying, and I'm paraphrasing here, that Bruno is really important, he supports all areas, planning of training, ideas around team selection, ideas around strategy. It also mentions that Bruno sits in the press box so has an elevated view of the game compared to Potter and co on the bench.

Dale Stephens is also quoted, saying Bruno is the link between the coaches and the players, a messenger, at half time after Potter has had his say Bruno and Bjorn Hamberg show the players video analysis of the first half and help the players see what they can do better in the second half.

Sounds like Potter places a lot of trust in his backroom staff and is willing to listen to their ideas.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think the article says Potter leaves a lot of the coaching to his staff. It quotes Potter as saying, and I'm paraphrasing here, that Bruno is really important, he supports all areas, planning of training, ideas around team selection, ideas around strategy. It also mentions that Bruno sits in the press box so has an elevated view of the game compared to Potter and co on the bench.

Dale Stephens is also quoted, saying Bruno is the link between the coaches and the players, a messenger, at half time after Potter has had his say Bruno and Bjorn Hamberg show the players video analysis of the first half and help the players see what they can do better in the second half.

Sounds like Potter places a lot of trust in his backroom staff and is willing to listen to their ideas.

Good to see Bruno is actually employed to do something (contradicting whoever it is who emotes in fury at every 'jobs for the boys' opportunity).

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Good to see Bruno is actually employed to do something (contradicting whoever it is who emotes in fury at every 'jobs for the boys' opportunity).

I think they are going out of their way to say Bruno is doing important things for the coaching staff which is not something emphasised about the other coaches. That signals to me that Bruno might not be involved enough to earn his position.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think they are going out of their way to say Bruno is doing important things for the coaching staff which is not something emphasised about the other coaches. That signals to me that Bruno might not be involved enough to earn his position.

Well, thank you for providing the perspective of the conspiracy theorists ??? :wink:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So G-Pott just picks the team then and lets his coaches do the rest? Nice

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Nice to hear what Bruno is doing and we're taking advantage of his vast amount of expertise and knowledge of us and the game.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I heard he makes vegan shakes at half time and ensures all players are tucked up in bed by 8:30

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Absolutely mind blown by that. I literally had no idea whatsoever that any football club showed videos at half time of the game. The technology in that too - that’s pretty amazing. Anyone heard of this before? Anyone know if it’s common practice in pro football or top 2 divisions etc..?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

**** me that’s cynical and extremely negative mate!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Absolutely mind blown by that. I literally had no idea whatsoever that any football club showed videos at half time of the game. The technology in that too - that’s pretty amazing. Anyone heard of this before? Anyone know if it’s common practice in pro football or top 2 divisions etc..?

I'd say its a pretty new and rare thing, but mostly guessing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
**** me that’s cynical and extremely negative mate!
Keep up at the back.

AmA has seen the 'fame' Spence has gained and came to the conclusion:-

'wow he's so cool, I'm gonna copy him'.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Keep up at the back.

AmA has seen the 'fame' Spence has gained and came to the conclusion:-

'wow he's so cool, I'm gonna copy him'.

‘Fame’ :lol: I assume you mean attention / deserved piss taking. Spence has always been the same outspoken poster - many just seemed to be up his arse previously for some very odd reason, but are now starting to see the error of their ways...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003

I don’t know how many clubs do it but I imagine it’s going to be more and more common place and I don’t think it’s that difficult to do. If they can get a replay of a goal or chance displayed on the big screen seconds after it’s happened then it’s not that much of a leap to play a few video clips via a laptop in the dressing room at half time.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don’t know how many clubs do it but I imagine it’s going to be more and more common place and I don’t think it’s that difficult to do. If they can get a replay of a goal or chance displayed on the big screen seconds after it’s happened then it’s not that much of a leap to play a few video clips via a laptop in the dressing room at half time.

Did you know they did this before the article? Yes, I guess it’s not that hard if they have the live video - maybe they write down the minute of what they want to show to make it easier to find...?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Did you know they did this before the article? Yes, I guess it’s not that hard if they have the live video - maybe they write down the minute of what they want to show to make it easier to find...?

I knew the club used video analysis of games and have done for a number of seasons. I am not sure if it was Hughton or possibly Garcia who used to have a DVD of match to watch back pretty much as soon as the full time whistle went. They’d have watched it ready for the players debrief at the next training session.

I didn’t know they were showing players clips at half time, but it’s going to be raw unedited clips from the cameras, it’s not a highlight package set to music/commentary so it can be ready in clip form in minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here