Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dicking About In Our Own Goal Area

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Apologies for repetition, touched on this in the 'Atmosphere' thread, but IMHO well worthy of a thread of its own. Here's what I wrote:

That dicking about in front of our goal (which seems to be getting progressively worse) isn't exactly conducive to roaring the team on. Apart from roaring them on to stop dicking about in front of our goal, that is. Presumably it's done with Potter's blessing, but it really is an accident waiting to happen. Can't really see the tactical benefit of languidly stroking the ball repeatedly across our own box inviting opposition forwards to put us under pressure. What gives?

And here's what the very excellent poster [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] replied:

'At times that was heart stopping. Jiminez was waiting to tuck away one of our ludicrous crosses across our own 6 yard box. It’s going to happen.'

Any further thoughts anyone? Is it all part of some Potterball tactical Masterplan (cue Oasis vid)? Or is it just brainless dicking about? WELL? ???

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I assume the purpose is precisely to lure the opposition on to us, and then pass round them.
Beating the press, I believe I heard someone say.

Seems a decent way of creating some space.

But yes it's going to go disastrously wrong at some point.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Will take our fans a while getting used to it, I’m calm with it now. It seems to be taking some people a bit longer, it isn’t changing any time soon with Potter in charge so may as well get used to it and accept it will go wrong occasionally.

Nothing annoys me more than the idiots behind me in the north who everytime we pass it around just say ‘get rid’ and then proceed to moan when one of players has no option an just punts the ball out or smashes it long to nobody.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Will take our fans a while getting used to it, I’m calm with it now. It seems to be taking some people a bit longer, it isn’t changing any time soon with Potter in charge so may as well get used to it and accept it will go wrong occasionally.

Nothing annoys me more than the idiots behind me in the north who everytime we pass it around just say ‘get rid’ and then proceed to moan when one of players has no option an just punts the ball out or smashes it long to nobody.

Isn't one of the first things they teach you at Defender Junior School not to pass the ball across your own 6 yard box? Always used to be. Especially on a wet surface.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I assume the purpose is precisely to lure the opposition on to us, and then pass round them.
Beating the press, I believe I heard someone say.

Seems a decent way of creating some space.

But yes it's going to go disastrously wrong at some point.

It may have been my post on the Potterball thread:

The thing is, I don't think our game is necessarily about getting the ball forward quickly per se, but more about engineering positions where we are able to out-number / our manoeuvre the opposition.

Take the short goal kick routine. This is the aspect of the way we play that gets the most vocal criticism at games I attend, and I must admit it does raise the pulse as we attempt to pass our way out. However, this is a microcosm of the philosophy. The aim in doing this is to force the opposition to commit players to a press, which once broken gives us a numerical advantage in the midfield or out wide.

Applying this approach further forward, the aim again is to bypass the opposition's midfield, and give our more attacking players space to work in. This worked beautifully last night as Arsenal's press evaporated time after time, and we ended up 4 v 4 or 3 v 3 in their half.

So, my point it, I don't think our style of play is ALL about getting the ball forward for the sake of it, but the aim is to isolate and bypass groups of players, to give us an advantage further forward. We DO get it forward quickly at times, as we did for the winner last night, but even then, Trossard and Mooy were able to take 2 Arsenal players out of the game with some lovely inter-play and we ended up with 5 players in the box for the cross.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I have no problem at all with any player who kicks the ball out for a throw. I'd rather they do that, than give it away in a scoring position.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
It's absolutely about creating space in front as the opposition are lured further forward and then passing past them. Yes we will concede perhaps 2 or 3 times a season from it (we have already when Webster lost control away to e's, can't remember, Man U?) but it will also increase possession and chances at the other end. And perhaps it is also better than a golie punt upfield where 30% of the time we'll lose possession.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It's nerve-wracking, but players keeping composure when under pressure is bloody impressive. Must be pretty draining on the opposition.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Same, I’m pretty comfortable with it now. Yes, we will come unstuck occasionally but it beats hoofing the ball back to the opposition, as our forwards aren’t big enough to win many headers that are challenged by the opposition defenders.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Apologies for repetition, touched on this in the 'Atmosphere' thread, but IMHO well worthy of a thread of its own. Here's what I wrote:

And here's what the very excellent poster [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] replied:

'At times that was heart stopping. Jiminez was waiting to tuck away one of our ludicrous crosses across our own 6 yard box. It’s going to happen.'

Any further thoughts anyone? Is it all part of some Potterball tactical Masterplan (cue Oasis vid)? Or is it just brainless dicking about? WELL? ???

Drawing out a high pressing team creating space behind them in which to attack?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Whitechapel described this in some detail and I thought pretty well see linked post below;

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...s-jan-1st-!!&p=9164392&viewfull=1#post9164392

I would imagine he is now reluctant to repeat the process as his dicking around description resulted in him being labelled a dick.

There was one point yesterday when we were playing around inside our own 6 yard box, when I had flashbacks to that Adam Hinshelwood own goal at Withdean. Sullivan who was a decent shotstopper, but the worst keeper ever with the ball at his feet, didn't feel confident enough to run out from his near post and wallop am angled back pass upfield. As the ball traversed his goal, he belatedly woke up to the fact it was going inside the far post and belatedly through himself at it. Hinshelwood took a lot of stick for this one, but I know who I think was at fault.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's absolutely about creating space in front as the opposition are lured further forward and then passing past them. Yes we will concede perhaps 2 or 3 times a season from it (we have already when Webster lost control away to e's, can't remember, Man U?) but it will also increase possession and chances at the other end. And perhaps it is also better than a golie punt upfield where 30% of the time we'll lose possession.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I would be surprised if it is as low as 30%

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Its absolutely fundamental to Potter's tactics. If the opposition press, it creates space in the midfield. Every now and then it will lead to a clanger like yesterday, but that is the trade off. It's key to retaining possession unlike the lumping forward tactic which usually leads to a loss of possession.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I guess the theory behind it must be something like that. High risk strategy tho IMHO

Yep it is. I like it, it shows balls, big balls to do it and be brave with it. Against Arsenal it created our win away, it destroyed Spurs 3-0 at home. I like it, I think we fans need to show a bit of composure with them. :wink::D

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
I also made the point in the Potterball thread that this is risky - and it bothers me. Bothers me even more if we are asking Shane Duffy to attempt tricky passes in the six yard box - which we did against Leicester - when he's crap at passing and often a bit tired and emotional.

We did concede the second goal against Leicester from a passing out screw-up, and many of our remainng home games (especially the last few) are against the most accomplished teams. I think we need to be very cautious with this stuff.

I don't entirely accept the argument that only by playing around with the ball in our six yard box will we eventually bypass the opposition - there are better and classier ways to achieve this.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
It’s designed to counter the press and open space for the counter attack, it will go wrong but we’ll get plenty more goals for as has already been the case and just to reiterate, this is why Duffy is not playing!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here