Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Australian,bush fires.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Like a few here we have able to go to both Australia and NZ and Fire is an issue along with earth tremors. Respect the approach of both the fire service and localhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngzkSAVHTV8s. :wave:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Fire is a constant threat when living in the hills and not only in Summertime.
It can be a case where you can go out for the day and come back to devastation, as once it starts it can move fast and get a hold quickly.
Quite a few are the work of arsonists, who should get life terms in prison when caught for the lives lost and damage caused.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The drought has also sucked so much moisture out of vegetation that wildlife is starving or dehydrating, hastening their extinction as many species are now deemed critically endangered. All very worry.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We have an amazing group of people in the CFA Volunteers.

We have a good volunteer service here as well. I volunteer with them and help out where I can.
If a total stranger is willing to risk themselves to help save my home then I should be willing to do the same to help save theirs.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
It is getting so hot here now that I notice, when I go out to give the pot plants a sprinkle with the hose, that the wildlife come out for a hosing down. Given up on watering the whole 1/2 acre as it is wasteful, but I have put a couple of bird baths out in shelteted areas and fill a couple of water bowls up outside day and night. Going to be another scorcher next week with Monday starting at 37 degrees, gradually going up incrementally to reach 42 degrees on Saturday.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Like a few here we have able to go to both Australia and NZ and Fire is an issue along with earth tremors. Respect the approach of both the fire service and localhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngzkSAVHTV8s. :wave:

Are ,bush fires worse than ordinary bush fires then?

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
It is getting so hot here now that I notice, when I go out to give the pot plants a sprinkle with the hose, that the wildlife come out for a hosing down. Given up on watering the whole 1/2 acre as it is wasteful, but I have put a couple of bird baths out in shelteted areas and fill a couple of water bowls up outside day and night. Going to be another scorcher next week with Monday starting at 37 degrees, gradually going up incrementally to reach 42 degrees on Saturday.

9AFFE8E6-DE35-410F-A984-36D49CF99319.png

Other than today and Monday summer has forgotten us this week!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
View attachment 117960

38 and windy is deadly weather mate ....dont knock it ...:thumbsup: the summer has really hit the west coast with a bang this year high 30's and 2 days in low 40's last week.....thankfully no major fires this side yet. With regard to OP if i had the choice again knowing what i know it would be Perth or NZ for me .

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We have a good volunteer service here as well. I volunteer with them and help out where I can.
If a total stranger is willing to risk themselves to help save my home then I should be willing to do the same to help save theirs.

Now that’s what I call community spirit. :bowdown:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Weather forecast for our area from today, Sunday, to Saturday next week.

Maximum 26°C 31°C 35°C 38°C 40°C 42°C 42°C
Minimum 13°C 14°C 16°C 17°C 20°C 22°C 22°C

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Weather for our area from Sunday to Saturday.

Sun
Dec 8 Mon
Dec 9 Tue
Dec 10 Wed
Dec 11 Thu
Dec 12 Fri
Dec 13 Sat
Dec 14

Mostly sunny

Sunny

Mostly sunny

Windy

Windy

Windy

Mostly sunny
Maximum 26°C 31°C 35°C 38°C 40°C 42°C 42°C
Minimum 13°C 14°C 16°C 17°C 20°C 22°C 22°C

I could never live in Australia. I’d die from such heat. Can’t even go in the sea to cool down because that’s like a bath too. Then there’s the dangerous wildlife to contend with. Suddenly, a dip in the English channel’s not so grim...ignoring the sewage obviously!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
When is the world's biggest exporter of coal going to wake up to climate change?

In May they voted in another PM in the pockets of the resources sector.

What will it take the complete collapse of the Murray-Darling Basin?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
When is the world's biggest exporter of coal going to wake up to climate change?

In May they voted in another PM in the pockets of the resources sector.

What will it take the complete collapse of the Murray-Darling Basin?

That literally has nothing to do with the fires

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
View attachment 117960

Don't forget most of the people on this forum are poms, those temps will almost represent a heatwave. 10am and only 25c dont think we will reach the predicted 35. With regards to the OP these odd patterns of high heat followed by cooler and wet conditions are not looking good for later on in summer as it will lead to extended growth in the bush.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Are ,bush fires worse than ordinary bush fires then?

Not sure what you mean. We have very hot and dry summers which create a massive fuel load which often include eucalyptus tree's. The oil in the leaves makes for a very intense fire, this intensity then causes a micro climate that further fuels the flames, often we see wind gusts in excess of 100km/hr. So compared to a forest fire in Europe the fires here are most definitely more severe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here