Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are Brighton the most popular team in Australia? 🇦🇺

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Given we’ve got 2 of their best players are we Australia’s favourite team in the Prem? Interested to hear from a few Poms.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
All over the sports news here.
Goals and saves replayed on every sports report.
They always say ' Mooy's, or Ryan's Brighton ' and not the other way round.

Last edited:

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
All over the sports news here.
Goals and saves replayed on every sports report.
They always say ' Mooy's, or Ryan's Brighton ' and not the other way round.
It’s certainly true that you will see Brighton games as part of the highlights package on the news, but you wouldn’t describe Brighton as being the most popular team, or even one of the most popular. Those honours would go to Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Here in Victoria ‘soccer’ is not big, particularly with the Anglo Saxon origin sector as they are utterly tied up in their AFL stuff.

It is the ex European crowd that have the most interest in teams that they may be historically linked to, could be Brits, Greeks or Italians. The Indian and Chinese communities, both sizeable, do have some interest but in the ‘big six’ only. Interest from British ex-pats and their descendants centres around family and geographical ties generally. Aussies that think independently of these ties do have a positive feeling for their boys but would not doubt switch allegiances if the players were transferred. The idea of club loyalty, or geographical ties, generally means nowt over here.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Interesting replies, hadn’t thought about the large communities outside of the Brits.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It’s certainly true that you will see Brighton games as part of the highlights package on the news, but you wouldn’t describe Brighton as being the most popular team, or even one of the most popular. Those honours would go to Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal.

As they would in most parts of the world.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don't think Fosters is popular anywhere just thrust upon the consumer by a number of faceless beer multinationals.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Well an awful lot of Brits continue to guzzle it, despite there being other similarly priced brands available.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
My Scouser brother-in -law showed me videos of Liverpool's Aussie tour and there was very little sign of opposition fans - it was all a sea of red. I can only conclude that many more convicts were transported to the Colonies from Liverpool than from Sussex.....!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not seen it once in nearly three years.

Never seen it ever in NSW. It's usually either VB or Tooheys. Or maybe Coopers. Surprised Fosters actually even exists anymore to be honest. Always assumed that lazy dishonest form of advertising to dummies had died out along with George the Hofmeister bear about 50 years ago. Apparently not :shrug:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Newcastle have a lot of fans in New South Wales.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here