Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Female pundits

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
In general, I am not convinced by the general change to many tv programmes where the number of female presenters, newscasters has increased to the point where some programmes feel like a matriarchy. Often I feel this is done to satisfy a principal rather than on merit. I was ready to feel the same about Amazon’s pundits tonight but, in the end, I did feel they contributed perceptive comments and were more articulate on points of detail than the men.

I await a torrent of dissent.

el punal

In general, I am not convinced by the general change to many tv programmes where the number of female presenters, newscasters has increased to the point where some programmes feel like a matriarchy. Often I feel this is done to satisfy a principal rather than on merit. I was ready to feel the same about Amazon’s pundits tonight but, in the end, I did feel they contributed perceptive comments and were more articulate on points of detail than the men.

I’m old school on this one. I must admit I cannot stand female match commentators - something to do with the pitch of the voice I suppose. Female pundits and summarisers are alright - as long they do the washing, cleaning and make the tea as well.

My daughters are not speaking to me. :drink:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
In general, I am not convinced by the general change to many tv programmes where the number of female presenters, newscasters has increased to the point where some programmes feel like a matriarchy. Often I feel this is done to satisfy a principal rather than on merit. [Your point is...?]

If women hadn't historically been denied opportunities to become sports broadcasters, there'd be no need to address any disparity.

I’m old school on this one. I must admit I cannot stand female match commentators - something to do with the pitch of the voice I suppose.

Do you imagine women particularly enjoy mainly men commentating on women's football? Or on the women's 200m Olympic final? Or on the women's team pursuit in the cycling?

And why do either of you feel the need to say any of this out loud? I'm genuinely curious.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
If women hadn't historically been denied opportunities to become sports broadcasters, there'd be no need to address any disparity.

Do you imagine women particularly enjoy mainly men commentating on women's football? Or on the women's 200m Olympic final? Or on the women's team pursuit in the cycling?

And why do either of you feel the need to say any of this out loud? I'm genuinely curious.

1000 thumbs up!!!!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

:facepalm:

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Female here. I was also impressed by the Amazon presenters. They knew their stuff and did not try to bully anyone who disagreed. Tone of voice is also really important, and I prefer calm with gravitas rather than hyper.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Eni Aluko is the best female pundit, she's always knowledgeable and well researched. Don't know the presenter on our game last night but thought she hosted alright. I think Laura Woods is decent.

Glad we didn't get Arsenal fan Alex Scott, she's straight out of the Jamie Redknapp school of only ever stating the obvious and still getting that wrong!

It's a mixed bag, just like the men. Shearer and Tyldsley were ****ing awful oh the commentary to the point that I had to turn it off because I was going tourettes at the telly :facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

My bet is he’s only 5’4” and has also failed to get noticed in life. The internet is a lifeline to such people.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
there are many opinions good and bad about men pundits, why wouldnt there be about women pundits? probably not worth while highlighting the pundits gender, you like them or you dont.

Jimmy Grimble

I thought Aluko was good as well. She was the only one who highlighted Mooy for extra praise.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
My only objection to the commentary team or the pundits was that there were no "Brighton specific" people on show. Arsenal had Dixon surely Amazon could have had an ex Albion player - the Spurs match the previous night had "Arry and Glenn Hoddle. Apart from that little gripe I thought the commentary/punditry teams did OK. Even (and it grates to say it) Alan Pardew.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
There's been one on the snooker this week on BBC and I know Sky have got a couple for the PDC Championships starting next week. Just a token gesture as they add very little.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Bloody irritated me, having those two women in the studio post match. It's not that they were awful, but it's a man's game (the one they had been watching) and we want opinions and feedback from people who have experience of the men's version of the game. It's so bloody obvious that they're just there because someone thought "we need a woman or two to satisfy the lefties". Pathetic.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
As far as pundits I don't mind who they are, they can be little green things from Mars for all I care, so long as I can understand the words. Commentary is a different matter, maybe it's my ears or something but I cannot cope with, do not like fast, excited, loud, high pitched, from anyone.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I'd agree in general with most of what's been said. The female pundits & presenters are generally very good & in many cases better than the know it all men who don't listen to what anyone else says.

The commentators - I've not heard 1 that is that great yet. I also hate overhyping commentators such as Jonathan pierce

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My bet is he’s only 5’4” and has also failed to get noticed in life. The internet is a lifeline to such people.

I tend to agree with you HT, the two worst working relationships I ever had was with a couple of short arses.( I'm a comfortable 5' 11" )

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It's just change people - with very few exceptions here, most people are taking it on board and adjusting. Clive Tyldesley is far more annoying than any shrill female commentary and at least Amazon had the good sense to leave Andy Townsend at home.
I did catch a female cricket commentator on the radio in the summer. I was in the car and didn't catch her name, but she was superb, knowledgeable and engaging and really got the pace of cricket commentary.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Does the OP realise you can’t say anything against any woman or minority nowadays without being a sexist, racist, neo nazi pig. Shame on you. That being said, honestly I pretty much take zero notice of pundits because the majority of them know nothing about us, woman or man. Or non-gender neutral penguin 2 spirit creature.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's just change people - with very few exceptions here, most people are taking it on board and adjusting. Clive Tyldesley is far more annoying than any shrill female commentary and at least Amazon had the good sense to leave Andy Townsend at home.
I did catch a female cricket commentator on the radio in the summer. I was in the car and didn't catch her name, but she was superb, knowledgeable and engaging and really got the pace of cricket commentary.

This.

I stopped noticing the sex of the studio pundits about 4 months ago. I stopped noticine the sex of the commentator about 18 months ago. I stopped noticing the race of the pundits about ten years ago. I stopped noticing the race of the player about 25 years ago.

:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here