Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Saved by VAR tonight?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
My issue here with the flagging/not flagging is that if that hadn't resulted in a goal and the ball had gone back into open play and then Ars scored there's a possibility that they would only run the VAR back to a point after the offiside (how far do they go back?) and therefore the goal would have stood.

This is one of my big problems with it. What if Ryan had turned it over for a corner which Arsenal had scored from?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is not a criticism of your point as I have heard the same about this keeping the flag down directive which completely contradicts the IFAB rules of the game (below)

Where has this rule come from and do we have any evidence for its existence?

It comes from press reports about the World Cup.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-cup-referees-flag-offsides-pierluigi-collina

https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6513952/var-linesmen-told-to-keep-flag-down-world-cup/

Linos have been told not to flag and let VAR decide.

The lino didn’t flag and let VAR decide.

VAR has absolutely nothing to do with us winning. :shrug:

Isn't that just marginal decisions?

We might have dodged a bullet last night, well done VAR. It's not perfect because nothing involving human judgment is but it's a hell of a lot better than what came before

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My issue here with the flagging/not flagging is that if that hadn't resulted in a goal and the ball had gone back into open play and then Ars scored there's a possibility that they would only run the VAR back to a point after the offiside (how far do they go back?) and therefore the goal would have stood.

Much to iron out with VAR but the suggestion I've read elsewhere (in reference to Shelvey goal) that lino's no longer flag for offside is ridiculous

Couldn’t agree more... Also if Ryan saves it and it goes for a corner then they score but the Lino didn’t flag as he wasn’t totally sure and was half leaving it to VAR... This is why I don’t like it. Too many grey areas and if, buts and maybes... It’s shit.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The way the lino sprinted back towards the halfway line as usual after a goal is scored, made me think he was pretty sure it was onside despite the fact I was almost certain he was off, I did panic for a few seconds.

I wouldn’t by any stretch say VAR saved us though, how can the linesman keep his flag down for that but in the other game flags for offside despite it being very marginal, I almost feel sorry for the officials because they clearly haven’t been trained properly so it results in a total farce.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Still looks like 5 to me, but would accept 4. Can see why Dunk was looking at the lino like he was some kind of idiot

offside.jpg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Lino should be disbarred for that. Absolutely no reason to not raise his flag, other than incompetence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here