Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Saved by VAR tonight?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
They are meant to flag if they’re 100% sure I think but also if the goal goes in they are meant to flag after. He should have flagged after - he isn’t told not to flag and let VAR decide as they would decide anyway if he’d flagged it! Having said that, I think if VAR wasn’t there he’d have flagged though.

Intriguing thought, however you seem to have forgotten that whilst it’s normal practice for the flaggers to flag flagable offences, there is nobody actually flagging the flag flaggers nor are there flaggers flagging the flag flagging flaggers!

el punal

Said the same myself, how the lino didn’t flag for that when Luiz was so far offside amazes me ! It certainly made me think that the goal would have been given if VAR wasn’t around.

It was Sideshow Bob’s hair that clinched it - that was at least five foot offside when the kick was taken. :drink:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They are meant to flag if they’re 100% sure I think but also if the goal goes in they are meant to flag after. He should have flagged after - he isn’t told not to flag and let VAR decide as they would decide anyway if he’d flagged it! Having said that, I think if VAR wasn’t there he’d have flagged though.

That’s my understanding of it too. It’s confusing because in the Champions League, they never flag until after the ball is in the net. In England, they are supposed to still raise the flag if it’s clear. There have been instances already where goals have been given even though the flag went up.

I suspect the Lino missed it somehow and VAR corrected the mistake.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It was obvious in the still picture from a high up camera angle.

From the linos' view at pitch level when the ball is delivered from deep and the players are moving quickly it might just be marginal enough to not flag it.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I did find it very odd that it wasn’t flagged when it was so obviously offside.

I was sitting with an arsenal supporting friend and we were basically in line with it. Most of the guys in our section didn’t even bother to celebrate as they knew it would be ruled out

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
All the talk of half the Arsenal team being offside is completely irrelevant. If Luiz had been onside that would have been the only consideration - the other offside players would have been judged as not interfering with play. It’s not like the old days.

Thankfully Luiz was miles offside.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Luiz goal. Not even a debate. Half their team clearly off. Terrific defensive line by us.
It worked, so it was good. With VAR though, my concern is that if our players don't do the usual run back towards your own goal, then another team will be wise to this, so they'll have a runner who is onside while looking miles off. VAR will then allow the goal.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think people are getting carried away with the lino and his flag. As I see it they are told to flag obvious offsides but allow tight ones to go and allow VAR to decide and I see no problem with that if it gets the correct result. At least last night the players were offside not just their finger nails so it is improving.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I hope action is taken against that inept assistant referee/linesman. Completely level with play for that free kick, an inexplicable, borderline corrupt decision to keep his flag down. Presumably he will be held to account by whoever oversees the officials in the PL. Should not ever run the line again imho.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I think people are getting carried away with the lino and his flag. As I see it they are told to flag obvious offsides but allow tight ones to go and allow VAR to decide and I see no problem with that if it gets the correct result. At least last night the players were offside not just their finger nails so it is improving.

It wasn’t remotely ‘tight’.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It wasn’t remotely ‘tight’.

Yep. Though the arsenal players and fans were going mental thinking they'd taken the lead, the live TV pictures were so clear that I was not in the slightest bit concerned. Anyone who thinks that VAR saved us as it was a tight call needs to give their head a wobble.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was tight because the players moved fractionally before the kick was taken had they kept their ground for a fraction of a second they would have been ok. Credit to our back line for holding as usually one goes with them. The reason it looked so obvious was because of the still camera footage without which there would have been little argument or debate.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I hope action is taken against that inept assistant referee/linesman. Completely level with play for that free kick, an inexplicable, borderline corrupt decision to keep his flag down. Presumably he will be held to account by whoever oversees the officials in the PL. Should not ever run the line again imho.

Disagree. The linesman is following the protocol set.

Everyone is mentioning the number of players offside but this if anything makes the linesman’s job harder not easier. He has to adjudge who is and who isn’t offside.

The decisions where there are a ruck of players are considerably harder than a sole player on the shoulder of the last man.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
... but what about their goal which did stand? I've just seen the highlights and their chap who challenged Propper and Ryan as the ball crossed the line was offside. No, he didn't touch the ball, but he certainly pushed our players enough as they attempted to block the "shot".

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Linos have been told not to flag and let VAR decide.

The lino didn’t flag and let VAR decide.

VAR has absolutely nothing to do with us winning. :shrug:

This is not a criticism of your point as I have heard the same about this keeping the flag down directive which completely contradicts the IFAB rules of the game (below)

Where has this rule come from and do we have any evidence for its existence?

c0429896b9cfead6584877094ed9d917.plist

41198caf3f124448c0623c6e7eda58a8.plist

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

My issue here with the flagging/not flagging is that if that hadn't resulted in a goal and the ball had gone back into open play and then Ars scored there's a possibility that they would only run the VAR back to a point after the offiside (how far do they go back?) and therefore the goal would have stood.

Much to iron out with VAR but the suggestion I've read elsewhere (in reference to Shelvey goal) that lino's no longer flag for offside is ridiculous

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Will Arsenal feel hard done by not getting a penalty in the first half? On 3 occasions Gross looked to be holding an Arsenal player from a corner which VAR could and should have picked up perhaps.

One of those was a penalty for sure. The others were in the 'I've seen them given' category.

Deserved the victory. Nice to get a bit of fortune to help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here