Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Saved by VAR tonight?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I am not one to complain about officials generally, BUT.... The result could have been very different tonight without the intervention of VAR.

Are officials going to lie down and let the VAR decision be made because they are too scared of the 'big' teams players. Their equaliser from Luiz was miles offside and that should have been a bread and butter decision for him to flag up.

This lino should never be given another opportunity to officiate again until such time as he proves himself worthy?

#teamslikebrighton

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Linos have been told not to flag and let VAR decide.

The lino didn’t flag and let VAR decide.

VAR has absolutely nothing to do with us winning. :shrug:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
If there wasn’t VAR the linesman would have flagged I presume. He is instructed to let anything remotely marginal go.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
If there wasn’t VAR the linesman would have flagged I presume. He is instructed to let anything remotely marginal go.

Interesting. Did you think this one was remotely marginal then?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

As evidenced by the second Newcastle goal by all accounts

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Said the same myself, how the lino didn’t flag for that when Luiz was so far offside amazes me ! It certainly made me think that the goal would have been given if VAR wasn’t around.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I am not one to complain about officials generally, BUT.... The result could have been very different tonight without the intervention of VAR.

Are officials going to lie down and let the VAR decision be made because they are too scared of the 'big' teams players. Their equaliser from Luiz was miles offside and that should have been a bread and butter decision for him to flag up.

This lino should never be given another opportunity to officiate again until such time as he proves himself worthy?

#teamslikebrighton

Albion held the line well throughout the game. I counted 4 or 5 offside so VAR was never going to allow the goal to stand. Yes, it was odd that the lino did not apparently spot the incursion by half the Arsenal team, but i think they are told to leave the flag down when the ref signals that VAR will take over. OK, in a way, but does tend to make them look slightly foolish, as the fans think they have been unable to spot was this evening quite blatant. great performance anyway, and thouroughly deserved.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
My considered opinion is .......... BOLLOCKS

#toomuchwhisky

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Linos have been told not to flag and let VAR decide.

The lino didn’t flag and let VAR decide.

VAR has absolutely nothing to do with us winning. :shrug:

They are meant to flag if they’re 100% sure I think but also if the goal goes in they are meant to flag after. He should have flagged after - he isn’t told not to flag and let VAR decide as they would decide anyway if he’d flagged it! Having said that, I think if VAR wasn’t there he’d have flagged though.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Interesting. Did you think this one was remotely marginal then?

Marginal enough for a linesman to let play run.

I think linesman take the safer option of letting anything resembling marginal go.

On replay it’s pretty clear cut but you have a defensive team holding a line with plenty of bodies close to or in advance of the line. I’m not blaming the linesman when you look at the Shelvey goal tonight.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The one single thing I remotely like about VAR is that the linesmen are more hesitant to wave the offside flag

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Will Arsenal feel hard done by not getting a penalty in the first half? On 3 occasions Gross looked to be holding an Arsenal player from a corner which VAR could and should have picked up perhaps.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm not sure how their goal wasn't disallowed for offside personally

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't care.

Just thought I'd share that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here