[Football] The 7.628th VAR thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What's your take on this one then?

[tweet]1202694600940494848[/tweet]

Whilst I completely agree with "play to the whistle", when a flag goes up like that, should players really expect to have to keep on playing?

If nothing else, some players are instinctively going to pause when a flag is raised and even if they do try to "play to the whistle", a split-second pause could be all it takes to put them at a goal-conceding disadvantage.

The fact is it was close enough that the assistant shouldn't have flagged, but the fact is they did.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this wasnt offside though was it. and i think the ref had seen it that way, allowed play to continue.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
VAR is a joke, needs to be scrapped.

In any normal season, David Luiz would have been flagged off, it was miles offside. Because of VAR, the lino leaves his flag down and we’ve got to go through that farce. It’s ridiculous.

Lino should still have stuck his flag up shirley? ???

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
More importantly - and I can say it now without being accused of being bitter - that was SURELY a clear push on Propper for the goal. Clearly! Ffs :facepalm: The comms of course, in their constant bias (particularly Clive) asked Washington it a foul on the keeper Alan?’ :ffsparr:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
When Maupay scored his winner and I just sat quiet staring at the screen I got reminded of how much I hate this VAR shit.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Since VAR will only check goals, red cards, identities and penalties, they will only check for offside with one of those things happening (i.e. will only check for offside if there is a goal or penalty etc to be reviewed). If they stop play because the lino flagged, then looked at the video and saw the attacker was onside, how can they fairly give the attacking team back their advantage? They can't which is why the premier league introduced this:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1297403

Where there is a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity and the assistant referee is not certain whether the attacker actively involved is in an offside position, the assistant should delay indicating the offence until the phase of play has concluded.

Where there is a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity and the assistant referee is certain the attacker actively involved is in an offside position, then the assistant should indicate the offence immediately.

In both of these situations the referee should wait to blow the whistle until the immediate phase of play has ended.​

Someone breaking through is a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity, no? This is just an extreme example of things we've seen several times already this season - a tight offside decision is flagged, play continues because a goal scoring opportunity has arisen, and the tight offside will only be checked by VAR if they are reviewing a goal.

Players' (and fans') ignorance of this policy is not the fault of the officials or VAR.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There were four players offside for the Arsenal “goal”. Absolutely no excuse for that bent/incompetent lino not to put the flag up. There was nothing remotely close about it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There were four players offside for the Arsenal “goal”. Absolutely no excuse for that bent/incompetent lino not to put the flag up. There was nothing remotely close about it.

Yes mate.

Indefensibly inept / corrupt.

The reason VAR is here is because the officials are abjectly piss poor

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Yes mate.

Indefensibly inept / corrupt.

The reason VAR is here is because the officials are abjectly piss poor

But they're told not to flag aren't they? That's why he didn't flag? It's all a bloody mess, anyway. So shit.

The officials aren't abjectly piss poor, though. They're highly trained. It's just incredibly tough to make split second decisions in real time. Would love to see people who moan about officials do a better job.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
But they're told not to flag aren't they? That's why he didn't flag? It's all a bloody mess, anyway. So shit.

The officials aren't abjectly piss poor, though. They're highly trained. It's just incredibly tough to make split second decisions in real time. Would love to see people who moan about officials do a better job.

Not to flag for anything marginal. That was crystal clear, miles offside. I did not have a single moments concern on a dodgy viewing angle. How can a professional official looking along the line, not see that.

Terrible officiating. As usual

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here