Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Fans United?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sol Campbell is owed £180k and was their manager for 10 months so if he never received any wages he would have been on £18k per month is there little wonder they look like going under. He probably received some initially so was probably on £20k + per month.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Owed £180,000 by the club allegedly. Can't blame the man for wanting his money.

Must have been about a month's pay when he stopped playing.

The lower paid players at the club is another matter.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Looking grim and if they go the domino effect could kick in with devastating effects on the league next year.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I remember going to Macclesfield away about 20 years ago. Think it was a Sunday 4pm kick off or something stupid

Got to the station an hour before kick off. No Albion fans at all unsurprisingly. The only thing I can remember is getting to the town and having no idea where the ground was but seeing the old fashioned corner floodlights which were clearly the highest thing in the town and finding my way that way. No real reason why I'm saying this other than whenever I think of Macclesfield it reminds me us of being s*** in division 4, the old school pre internet method of finding a ground and how much I love the old tower floodlights.

I couldn't tell you if we won or lost

Hope they pull through

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
That may be so but it doesnt alter the fact that they were paying him a lot more than they could afford. What he earned playing has no relevance to the wage they paid him.

I wasn't commenting on how much they were paying him (you were) but the fact that he was happy for the club to be wound up when he probably didn't need the money after a highly successful playing career.

I was replying to Cowfold.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Rather than the owners and the spending of clubs beyond their means?

Indeed. That was the point I was alluding to in the 'Albion post a loss' thread. You're a struggling League 2 club with massive financial issues, and you think the best course of action is to employ an inexperienced but 'name' manager on £216,000 a year? (working on the £18,000 figure). And he kept them up, which turned out to be a pyrrhic victory. Didn't anybody do the sums beforehand or did they just go "Ohh Sol Campbell! He'll solve all our problems!" (Obviously the latter).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think the rise of clubs like Salford City has a lot to do with it as well. For clubs to rise, others have to fall. There's investment behind Salford, and genuine interest in the football club. Is there that about Macclesfield? Probably not, which is sad, but that's their reality. Football finances are an absolute joke, Macclesfield and Bury are both well established and historic clubs but it doesn't mean they deserve a bail out any more than any other club would.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I remember going to Macclesfield away about 20 years ago. Think it was a Sunday 4pm kick off or something stupid

Got to the station an hour before kick off. No Albion fans at all unsurprisingly. The only thing I can remember is getting to the town and having no idea where the ground was but seeing the old fashioned corner floodlights which were clearly the highest thing in the town and finding my way that way. No real reason why I'm saying this other than whenever I think of Macclesfield it reminds me us of being s*** in division 4, the old school pre internet method of finding a ground and how much I love the old tower floodlights.

I couldn't tell you if we won or lost

Hope they pull through

Yup, I was there once, couldn't tell you the year but in a local pub talking to an old guy, like what I am now, moaning that all the locals supporting Man City, can only have gotten worse now!

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Read somewhere that when S/C left he was owed four months wages the figure of 180k if it was just wages is 11k a week,believe me Macc have never had that sort of money. Maybe it was all bonus related ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think the rise of clubs like Salford City has a lot to do with it as well. For clubs to rise, others have to fall. There's investment behind Salford, and genuine interest in the football club. Is there that about Macclesfield? Probably not, which is sad, but that's their reality. Football finances are an absolute joke, Macclesfield and Bury are both well established and historic clubs but it doesn't mean they deserve a bail out any more than any other club would.

I spent a great deal of time in Macc 12-15 years ago. Macc Town were a bit of a joke. The crumbling stadium is 24 carat 'non-league'. I remember [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] posting on the other Albion forum about travelling up there only for the grandstand roof to be blown off and the game postponed (I think he went and watched Crewe Alex instead if my peculiarly selective memory serves me right).

The stadium is on the far south of town in an area that is reminiscent of Trafalgar Road Portslade, as it was in the 1960s, except if you look behind you there are magnificent hills. It is a fair old schlep from the station. It has all the appeal of a car crusher's yard, which is what it will probably end up being, after closure. Looking at their attendances for 2018, they were lucky to see over 2,000 in, and when they played Blackpool during Blackpool's attendance boycott there were only 639 in, so this probably represents their hard core of home supporters - 600 odd. We did way better than that playing in Gillingham with a team that were far worse than Macc's are.

So, taking out a small onion and wiping away my tears, this is not a much loved professional club, jewel in the eye of the locals, a pride and joy and anything that will be sadly missed by any more than maybe a thousand people, here. There is a tree in a park in Faversham that probably has more devotees.

As for thinking Sol Campbell would be the ideal man for them - what actual planet do the board live on?

I hate to say this but I'm with [MENTION=3975]ben[/MENTION]'s Grandad on this :shrug:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Sol Campbell is owed £180k and was their manager for 10 months so if he never received any wages he would have been on £18k per month is there little wonder they look like going under. He probably received some initially so was probably on £20k + per month.

spot on... you would have hoped that those who had made shed loads of money out of football would be prepared to put something back in.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My niece lives in Stockport and she says that everyone from Maccy are ‘different’ .... this of course has nothing to do with the football club whatsoever.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here