Date: Thursday 5th December 2019
Kick-off: 20:15 GMT
Referee: Graham Scott
Assistants: Simon Bennett, Neil Davies
Fourth official: Tim Robinson
VAR: Jonathan Moss
Assistant VAR: Marc Perry

TEAM NEWS

Arsenal have no new injury concerns for the visit of Brighton, although right-back Hector Bellerin will be assessed after missing the last two games because of a hamstring problem.

Centre-back Rob Holding and midfielder Dani Ceballos remain out.

Brighton full-back Bernardo is back in contention following three months out with a knee injury.

Solly March and forward Jose Izquierdo are still sidelined with respective groin and knee issues.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Mark Scott: It was a different man in charge of Arsenal on Sunday, but the same old problems at the back were still very evident.

Sorting out the Gunners' shoddy defence is certainly not going to be a quick fix for Freddie Ljungberg, and it will be interesting to see what side he goes with after his line up at Norwich raised a few eyebrows.

On paper, this is a good first home game at the helm for him as Brighton have been poor on the road this season and look a bit blunt up front.

That said, the Seagulls ran Liverpool close at Anfield and not many teams have managed that.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Arsenal interim head coach Freddie Ljungberg: "The only way to change an atmosphere is how you play. The fans were amazing at Norwich, they got more energy the more we played in the first half. They were great, even when we went down.

"When it comes to the Emirates, fans want us to win games and play good football. The only way to try and get a good atmosphere is to try and achieve that."

Graham Potter: "It was disappointing to not come away with anything against Liverpool, but I was proud of what we did.

"Arsenal are going through a transition after losing Mr Wenger, who had been there for over 20 years, and results haven't gone as they would've liked with their previous coach.

"But they're still a top club with high-quality footballers and they will be looking for a positive reaction.

"Freddie Ljungberg is in charge and knows the game well, so we're expecting another difficult contest."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton & Hove Albion have never won at Arsenal in 19 meetings in all competitions. Their three victories have all come at home in the top flight (D4, L12).
    [*=left]The Seagulls' eight fixtures at the Emirates have resulted in six losses and two draws, by an aggregate score of 17-2.
    [*=left]However, Arsenal are winless in three of the four Premier League meetings, including a 1-1 home draw last season.
    [*=left]Brighton have not scored in open play away from home in this fixture since 1983.

Arsenal

• [*=left]Arsenal are winless in eight matches in all competitions (D6, L2). It is their longest winless streak since February 1992 under George Graham.
    [*=left]They could go nine matches without a victory for the first time since March 1977 under Terry Neill.
    [*=left]Arsenal's 14-point tally equals their lowest after 14 matches of a Premier League campaign since 1994-95, when they went on to finish 12th.
    [*=left]If they fail to win this match it will be the first time since 1975 they have recorded fewer than five wins in their opening 15 fixtures.
    [*=left]Arsenal are winless in six Premier League matches since a 1-0 home victory against Bournemouth on 6 October.
    [*=left]Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has scored an unrivalled 42 goals in 63 Premier League appearances since his making his debut in February 2018.
    [*=left]Alexandre Lacazette has scored 24 of his 31 Premier League goals at the Emirates, including 12 of the last 13.

Albion

• [*=left]Brighton have 15 points after 14 matches, their lowest tally at this stage of a Premier League season.
    [*=left]They are winless in six away league games since the opening match of the season, losing the last four.
    [*=left]Albion could lose five successive top-flight away fixtures for the first time since December 1982.
    [*=left]The Seagulls could also equal the club Premier League record of four consecutive defeats, last set in April 2019.
    [*=left]Brighton have sustained 15 losses in 16 Premier League away matches against established top-six opposition, only avoiding defeat in a 1-1 draw at Arsenal in May.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As Albion are the go to club for teams looking to end horrendous runs of form or goal scoring I am not liking those Arsenal stats at all :down:

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
As Albion are the go to club for teams looking to end horrendous runs of form or goal scoring I am not liking those Arsenal stats at all :down:

Exactly. Anytime our opposition are on a winless streak, a non scoring run, or some other form of negative statistic good old BHA are there to help them break their bad luck.
I don't like reading of them, it's like a curse.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Exactly. Anytime our opposition are on a winless streak, a non scoring run, or some other form of negative statistic good old BHA are there to help them break their bad luck.
I don't like reading of them, it's like a curse.

Hmm yes, the pattern often goes

Fixture 1 = atrocious
Fixture 2 = atrocious
Fixture 3 = atrocious
Game against Albion = play like world beaters
Fixture 5 = atrocious
Fixture 6 = atrocious

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
How many fans are we taking? Novelty seems to have worn off.

I predict a record pretendance tonight. Arsenal fans unhappy, late KO: it will be 1/3 empty.

Couple of Belgravia gem pubs for the 4 of us, then Hyde Park Corner to Arsenal. Can't wait!

PG

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Albion could lose five successive top-flight away fixtures for the first time since December 1982.
The Seagulls could also equal the club Premier League record of four consecutive defeats, last set in April 2019.
Brighton have sustained 15 losses in 16 Premier League away matches against established top-six opposition, only avoiding defeat in a 1-1 draw at Arsenal in May.

Very worrying stats....

I hope we pick up a point, with three on Sunday and then things will suddenly look a lot better, before the Palace game, go into that on 15 points and we could be in trouble as next is Spurs away....

Last edited:

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Loads of tickets available in all home areas on the exchange, could be another less than bumper crowd at the North London public library.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Just leaving now , hopefully a very pointy trip , would like to see Duffy come back in for Webster for this one , nothing to do with Webster's defending capabilities i just think a mixture of Duffy's heading ability from corners and Arsenals woeful marking or lack of will see us nick this one .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To be honest, I'd be disappointed if we come away with nothing. But we need to avoid shipping early goals. Sadly I suspect we will have 60% posession but lose to a couple of early goals.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
How many fans are we taking? Novelty seems to have worn off.

I predict a record pretendance tonight. Arsenal fans unhappy, late KO: it will be 1/3 empty.

Still undecided. Have a ticket but the lure of the sofa is strong.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Feel we could and should get something from this, and the rest of this midweek's results have pretty much gone our way - but, somehow a bad feeling still lurks at the back of my mind.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here