Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] RIP Bob Willis

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
One of the greatest English fast bowlers. Very few have come close since.

A dull, cantankerous commentator and pundit. But an essential nonetheless. You never realise how much you're going to miss them until they are gone.

If it wasn't for Bob's Headingley heroics I may not have aspired to be a bowler or even care much for cricket at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtPw_Ztlm_Q

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
That's a bit of a shocker.

Indeed a fantastic bowler who like all great bowlers had a touch of the "nasty" about him. Loved that spell when he took the Aussies apart at Headingly during the "Botham's Ashes" series. His contribution has sometimes been overlooked in that magnificent victory.

Always had great insight during his commentary and latterly on the Debate show on sky.

RIP Bob

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Sad news.....rest in peace big man. Great bowler, that head of hair steaming up the wicket, fond memories of watching him bowl in my youth.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One of the greatest English fast bowlers. Very few have come close since.

A dull, cantankerous commentator and pundit. But an essential nonetheless. You never realise how much you're going to miss them until their gone.

If it wasn't for Bob's Headingley heroics I may not have aspired to be a bowler or even care much for cricket at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtPw_Ztlm_Q

All of this. Headingly '81 is still my greatest cricket moment..................I didn't like him much as a pundit. RIP Bob.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Charles Colvile did say on 'The Debate' programme on Sky Sports Cricket for the 1st Test against New Zealand that he was absent due to having an operation, but they hoped to welcome him back for the South Africa Series.

Very sad news.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
RIP great bowler the likes of which we could have done with this year. I wonder how he would have bowled at Smith or Williamson. 70 is not a great age in this day.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
325 test wickets, shows how good he was as a test bowler.

Still have vivid memories of him running in, hair bouncing.

RIP

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That’s a real shame, can’t say I agreed with many of his opinions as a pundit but a true legend of the english game. RIP.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
His stats show what a fine bowler he was but I always liked his punditry. You don’t always have to agree with everything they say but softie analysts at cricket get my goat. RIP Bob....

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Sad and shocked. An Englishman who managed to give the Aussies some of their own medicine.
RIP Bob.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Very sad news. It was him and Botham In 81 that made me want to play cricket. RIP big man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey, that's a shock. Was looking forward to his analysis for the SA series - worth the Sky subscription on his own.

RIP Robert George Dylan Willis (He added the 'Dylan' in homage to his musical hero)

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
In the course of my work, probably back in the late '80's, I met him. Nice fella and very easy to talk to.
RIP Bob.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Thyroid cancer got him apparently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here