Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Airfix/Revell etc. model kits.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
When l was a kid l used to absolutely love building these. Principally 1/72 scale model military aircraft. Over the years though my collection has disappeared, many of them bheing broken playing mock dogfights with my friends.

Now l am older and have reached retirement, l'm thinking about building up another collection, this time though treating them as models and not as toys! Is any one else a fan?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm pretty sure [MENTION=20]Publius Ovidius[/MENTION] has shared some model-making pictures in the past.

el punal

When l was a kid l used to absolutely love building these. Principally 1/72 scale model military aircraft. Over the years though my collection has disappeared, many of them bheing broken playing mock dogfights with my friends.

Now l am older and have reached retirement, l'm thinking about building up another collection, this time though treating them as models and not as toys! Is any one else a fan?

Yes, unfortunately many of the models that were made are now unavailable. Airfix used to produce a great variety ranging in size and price. So the smaller models like Spitfire, Hurricane, ME109 would sell for 2/- (10p). Next range - Mosquito, ME110 would go for 3/6 (17p) and then you would get the “biggies” like the Lancaster, Stirling, Sunderland etc. for 7/6 (35p). And, of course, many more models at varying prices - warships, tanks, cars, buildings, and then you would paint them using Humbrol paints according to the instructions.

As with all kids at that age the novelty would wear off. Many of the aircraft I built were destroyed by being attached to fireworks (rockets mainly) for their final flight! :down:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Yes, unfortunately many of the models that were made are now unavailable. Airfix used to produce a great variety ranging in size and price. So the smaller models like Spitfire, Hurricane, ME109 would sell for 2/- (10p). Next range - Mosquito, ME110 would go for 3/6 (17p) and then you would get the “biggies” like the Lancaster, Stirling, Sunderland etc. for 7/6 (35p). And, of course, many more models at varying prices - warships, tanks, cars, buildings, and then you would paint them using Humbrol paints according to the instructions.
:down:
...and suspend the aeroplanes from your bedroom ceiling via the medium of cotton and drawing pins.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Yes I still make them but turn them into dioramas.
Here’s the last one I did. All scenery is hand made.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I made a cracking D day diorama when I was a kid

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun

As with all kids at that age the novelty would wear off. Many of the aircraft I built were destroyed by being attached to fireworks (rockets mainly) for their final flight! :down:

You can still get some good ones though. Only a couple of years ago my brother gave me a kit for a Sopwith Camel as something of a joke christmas present. To the wife's frustration and the kids puzzlement I then spent a bit of time every evening for about the next 6 weeks building the thing, even completing all the rigging on the wings with cotton and painting in the right humbrol colours. It looked amazing though now the decals have started to peal off a bit. I probably put more time and effort into that than the 40 or so that I made as kid added together.

There's a place next to Ford Station - The Engine Shed - which sells just about every Airfix and Revell kit going plus all the humbrol paints if you want to turn the clock back

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
...and suspend the aeroplanes from your bedroom ceiling via the medium of cotton and drawing pins.

Showing my age now but aside from on the ceiling I had a hideous pelmet over my bedroom window upon which you could park them.

Used to stick to 1/72 scale as did not have the patience for the bigger models. Tried to have a go at a B17 Flying Fortress but just way to fiddly with having to glue all the clear gun ports. Ended up in bits for months before big brother finished it but then my sister volunteered to paint and inexplicably painted it camouflage like a Spitfire!!!!!:(

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Yes I still make them but turn them into dioramas.
Here’s the last one I did. All scenery is hand made.

Ooh, I feel quite dizzy after watching it go round and round!

Good work, though.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
You can still get some good ones though. Only a couple of years ago my brother gave me a kit for a Sopwith Camel as something of a joke christmas present. To the wife's frustration and the kids puzzlement I then spent a bit of time every evening for about the next 6 weeks building the thing, even completing all the rigging on the wings with cotton and painting in the right humbrol colours. It looked amazing though now the decals have started to peal off a bit. I probably put more time and effort into that than the 40 or so that I made as kid added together.

There's a place next to Ford Station - The Engine Shed - which sells just about every Airfix and Revell kit going plus all the humbrol paints if you want to turn the clock back

I've spent a fortune in that shop on my kids it's actually called gaugemaster though.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I remember the old Meccano shop in Henley on Thames, that had all the working models, they also used to sell Airfix type stuff.
A teenage boys dream back then :)

(Waiting for the impending innuendo comments)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here